WDS New Civil War Game, Bought All of Tiller's Assets, and Catalog Refresh

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 19, 2021, 07:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strela

Quote from: Rayfer on November 22, 2021, 10:43:54 AM
Just curious....with new owners, will these games ever get ported to Steam for purchase?

To be totally honest, it's not a current consideration.

We are yet to look at 'routes to market', but Tiller previously used multiple websites and minimal marketing to promote the titles. We want to change that and see what can be achieved ourselves before deciding to hand over XX% to Steam.

There are advantages with Steam, ease of use for players, broader exposure etc, but we are not at the point currently.

The final point is that the games were not in a state (graphically in particular) to go to a broader audience and we believe solid research and gameplay would have been decimated by negative Steam reviews. We have started on the path of updating the titles to give us options in the future...

David

Rayfer

Quote from: Strela on November 22, 2021, 03:25:27 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on November 22, 2021, 10:43:54 AM
Just curious....with new owners, will these games ever get ported to Steam for purchase?

To be totally honest, it's not a current consideration.

We are yet to look at 'routes to market', but Tiller previously used multiple websites and minimal marketing to promote the titles. We want to change that and see what can be achieved ourselves before deciding to hand over XX% to Steam.

There are advantages with Steam, ease of use for players, broader exposure etc, but we are not at the point currently.

The final point is that the games were not in a state (graphically in particular) to go to a broader audience and we believe solid research and gameplay would have been decimated by negative Steam reviews. We have started on the path of updating the titles to give us options in the future...

David

Thanks...it's not a game changer for me, I own about 15 of your titles and will continue to be a customer regardless of Steam access.

al_infierno

I got around to downloading all the installers and reinstalling my catalogue - which is no trivial task.  According to the number of sub-folders under WDS, that's 52(!!!) games downloaded over the last few nights.  My condolences for the servers :)

Anyway, I really like the QOL changes so far.  They've incorporated the ASL-style token mods into the base game as "alternate graphics" and added a bunch of long overdue QOL updates to the older titles, like the Gold updates for the Modern Campaigns titles, and the ability to scroll on the map with your mouse in games like Mexican-American War and the older Civil War titles.  Very happy with these updates by WDS!

Also, I'm digging the tunes in Forgotten Campaigns O0  As a longtime JTS fan I'll say WDS hasn't skipped a beat taking up the reins.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Thomas Davie

Even better than having access to all of my previously JTS titles is a new game (Forgotten Battles ACW), so I had to buy it.

like all of the other JTS titles, this installs flawlessly under Crossover/Mac. Works peachy keen on M1 Macs w/no issues at all. can't wait for the next Panzer Battles title.

Tom

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

Now that the John Tiller IP is in new hands, I wonder if there are any plans to make more titles covering hypothetical or even fictional conflicts. 

I actually think it could be cool to see a Shadow Empire style Mad Max esque campaign battled out in the John Tiller engine.  I'd totally buy a Diesel Campaigns or Diesel Battles title if one were made.  It could be an interesting way to mix and match archaic warrior hordes and modernized soldiers with improvised vehicles and weapons from every historical era.  You could really go crazy with it and come up with some ridiculous units like a killdozer for bowling through obstacles and entrenchments alike, or one of those big speaker trucks from Fury Road, which could act as a dual troop transport + HQ.

- MengJiao