What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Just finished "Case White: The Invasion of Poland" by Robert Forczyk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NJ426D3/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

Very much a military history of the conflict, with just a sprinkling of the political and social parts.

The Poles were outnumbered and outgunned. Poland never had a chance of course...but nevertheless, the Poles mostly fought hard, and in some cases, such as the Battle of Kutno (Bzura) they even gave the Germans a bit of a bloody nose. Once the Soviet Union attacked however, it was all over.

One eye opening thing for me, was the participation of German Army (Heer) units in atrocities; mass execution of civilians and prisoners. I had always assumed that it was the SS and Einsatz Truppen who were at fault, but the killing was also done by regular troops. There were some in the high command (General Blaskowitz for example) who tried to stop or slow it down, but they were frustrated by the regime...with Hitler eventually issuing a general pardon.

Another thing was how ill-prepared the Germans were for the campaign. Goebbels propaganda made it seem like the blitzkrieg was all efficiency running like clockwork. But the reality was that the Germans really hadn't figured out logistics prior to campaign. If the fighting had gone longer, the Germans would have run into severe difficulty.

I got this book because I really enjoyed the author's other book, "Case Red: The Fall of France". Case White did not disappoint. The authors prose is direct and to the point, the way I like my military histories. However some folks may find this too terse, and may want a bit more background color in their books.

I have now moved on to the authors other book, "Where the Iron Crosses Grow", the Crimean Campaign. I am about 1/3 in and enjoying it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

al_infierno

Thanks for the recommendation, AT.  I'd been eying Case White for a while, but your description made me take the leap O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 31, 2020, 10:33:03 PM
Another thing was how ill-prepared the Germans were for the campaign. Goebbels propaganda made it seem like the blitzkrieg was all efficiency running like clockwork. But the reality was that the Germans really hadn't figured out logistics prior to campaign. If the fighting had gone longer, the Germans would have run into severe difficulty.

More specifically, they were running into severe difficulties by the time Stalin eventually agreed to honor his treaty and step in on the other side (to save Poland from the eeeeevil Nazis who obviously and clearly just started WW2, of course. ;) ) The Luftwaffe was basically out of bombs, and the ground forces badly needed the east thrust formations untied to help finish off Warsaw before France and the UK could get going. Stalin's assault freed up enough Nazi ground forces to put the ball over the goal. (Though I don't recall it helping with the bomber load, aside from allowing more concentration of the few remaining explosives onto Warsaw.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Over the holiday weekend, the History Channel had a three part mini-series about U.S. Grant. I enjoyed it a great deal (except for the far too numerous commercials). The mini-series was written by Ron Chernow (also, interestingly Leonardo Dicaprio was one of the producers).

So I decided to get Mr. Chernow's book "Grant"

At over 1000 pages it is a bit of a monster...in a good way.

I am only a few chapters in, but having a good time with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Grant-Ron-Chernow-ebook/dp/B06W2J89PV/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=grant&qid=1591309378&sr=8-1
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Martok

Hmm, sounds like something I might be interested in.  Please let us know if it holds up! 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Black Robin

Good to know your interests.

airboy

I'm reading Carpe Jugleum in the Diskworld series.  I'm rereading Keegan's WW1 and reading an excellent book on the Korean War.

Unfortunately, the news in the real world is so bad that I'm reading highly escapist stuff right now.  Listening to Hard Magic by Larry Correia when I drive.

Gusington

Dividing the Spoils was disappointing. Skimmed through another book after that on the Ptolemies which was basically a book on their Egyptian law codes and property rights :/ Oh well, they can't all be winners.

About 100 pages in on Book 4 of Harry Sidebottom's Warrior of Rome series, The Caspian Gates. One of my favorite historical series and a nice palette cleanser after the last two.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I've about finished "Attack on Pearl Harbor" by Alan Zimm.  It is a detailed operational assessment of the attack and defense. 

Perhaps the most interesting thing in it is that a 3rd Wave attack on the oil storage was not feasible with the amount and type of ordinance left to the Japs after the first two waves.  It also hammered Japanese fighter doctrine and how successful the handful of US Fighters were that managed to reach the air.  It contends that if the US Planes had not been packed wingtip to wingtip that the losses would have been severe to the Japanese - even given the success of the first wave attacks.

I'd always thought Japan blundered badly by not attacking the oil storage - but he gave a very detailed analysis on how easy the tanks are to build and the number of tanker trips needed to refill the system.  He thinks Nimitz purposefully lied about the potential oil losses and problems that would have ensued to keep secret the underground storage of oil being built & filled at the time of the attack - something that was top secret.

Zimm also thought the dive bombers performed very poorly compared to the level bombers and the torpedo planes.

The book is sort of dry in large stretches - but he makes his points with a lot of data and I cannot spot obvious holes in his analyses - but I'm not an expert in any of this beyond how he is employing probability theory which he has done well.

Anguille

Reading:

Fondation by Isaak Asimov...

Gusington

^Nice...one of my favorite books of all time.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: airboy on June 18, 2020, 04:08:43 PM
I've about finished "Attack on Pearl Harbor" by Alan Zimm.  It is a detailed operational assessment of the attack and defense. 

Perhaps the most interesting thing in it is that a 3rd Wave attack on the oil storage was not feasible with the amount and type of ordinance left to the Japs after the first two waves.

Back on an anniversary of the attack several years ago, Dad picked up a documentary somewhere (no doubt cheap) which turned out to be VASTLY much better than I was expecting; and one of the points I hadn't heard before was that going after the fuel depot would have been pointless with their remaining ammo. (If I recall correctly, the Japanese understood this and backed off intentionally, according to the doc.) Aside from their ammo being unable to crack the hardened casings very well, the facility was designed to contain and minimize any leakage and fire.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: airboy on June 18, 2020, 04:08:43 PM

Alan Zimm also dipped his toes into the computer wargame market in the early 90s and produced probably the most accurate WWII naval surface battle game ever. The ballistics and penetration for each shot was individually calculated. The game was called: Action Stations!  I always hoped he would follow the game up as the years passed, but he never did.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/action-stations
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

MetalDog

Quote from: Anguille on June 18, 2020, 04:38:09 PM
Reading:

Quote from: Gusington on June 18, 2020, 04:41:14 PM
^Nice...one of my favorite books of all time.

Ditto.  I'd be reading it right this instant if my library had a copy in.  I will keep looking when I go. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on June 18, 2020, 04:38:09 PM
Reading:

Cheers, Anguille!  I'm in the midst of my annual re-reading of the Foundation trilogy myself.  Am currently reading the 2nd book, Foundation and Empire
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces