Main Menu

Dune Spice Wars

Started by Jarhead0331, December 10, 2021, 11:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Finally watching the newer movie now...never read the book and never saw the movie from the 80s, but after 15 minutes I have to say I really like it so far...may grab the game on sale and a copy of the book now too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: Gusington on July 09, 2022, 08:19:47 PM
Finally watching the newer movie now...never read the book and never saw the movie from the 80s, but after 15 minutes I have to say I really like it so far...may grab the game on sale and a copy of the book now too.

I read the book in high school and still remember the impact it had on me. The new movie is by far and away the best Dune movie/TV series to date. The old 80s movie though has a tonne of character, perhaps even compared to the new movie, which is simply sleeker and more modern and more accurate (too many ands? lol).
We have the board game here at home and enjoyed a few runs through of that. And the board game reminds me of this dune spice wars game.
This game though does not entice me really. I want epic battles and to learn all about the military and non military units by seeing them in action. This game is not exactly a movie reel of combat footage. Rather more like a board game with all of it's inherent limitations. A very light RTS if you will?

I must reconsider and give this game another look. I could be wrong about it. It would certainly be fun with friends.

Gotta ask is their just one map?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

fabius

Have to be that one

The new movie kinda sucked. Ended jarringly without major problem resolution. Really felt like they cut a movie in half to make two movies.
Some of the visuals were good. But the movie lingered/kept showing the air vehicle like they were over proud of that visual. The characters felt lacking compared to the older movie.

The old movie with Sting. Against pop opinion, I loved that movie and still do. The characters are top in that one. Much better than the recent remake

Jarhead0331

Quote from: fabius on July 10, 2022, 05:05:24 AM
Have to be that one

The new movie kinda sucked. Ended jarringly without major problem resolution. Really felt like they cut a movie in half to make two movies.
Some of the visuals were good. But the movie lingered/kept showing the air vehicle like they were over proud of that visual. The characters felt lacking compared to the older movie.

The old movie with Sting. Against pop opinion, I loved that movie and still do. The characters are top in that one. Much better than the recent remake

Completely disagree. I felt the new movie was awesome. Sure, I was disappointed where it ended, but it was always intended to be a trilogy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jamus34

See, if you could stick the relationship systems that are built paradoxes' CK2-3 games along with competent space and world combat systems I feel you would have a real good game setup for Dune.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jamus34 on July 10, 2022, 07:01:11 AM
See, if you could stick the relationship systems that are built paradoxes' CK2-3 games along with competent space and world combat systems I feel you would have a real good game setup for Dune.

Look at Star Dynasties and Alliance of the Sacred Suns.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 10, 2022, 06:16:37 AM
Have to be that one

Completely disagree. I felt the new movie was awesome. Sure, I was disappointed where it ended, but it was always intended to be a trilogy.

A huge +1.  The newer movie is far better than the 80's version.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 10, 2022, 06:16:37 AM
Have to be that one

As someone whose bookshelf looks like this, I am also in 1000% agreement with you on that one Jarhead.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Wow. The Encyclopedia. You should put that in a safe!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 10, 2022, 03:21:40 PM
Wow. The Encyclopedia. You should put that in a safe!

The RPG is worth a lot more.  That's the one that only had a preview copy released at one GenCon but then never had any further print run or releases.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bobarossa

So no comments on the state of the game (vs the movies)?

SirAndrewD

Right now, it's very repetitive and doesn't have a ton of replay value once you've gone through with each of the factions. 

I would honestly wait and see how it pans out in EA.  House Corrino is coming out soon and having another faction with different mechanics will at least potentially add a little...spice...to the mix.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

^Thought you might appreciate how I wormed that little pun in.