Thank the maker! 'Star Wars Squadrons' leaked

Started by Gusington, June 12, 2020, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

The burning question remains:

Will it hold a candle to the original Rogue Squadron?  🤔
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on June 12, 2020, 01:05:32 PM
The burning question remains:

Will it hold a candle to the original Rogue Squadron?  🤔

The real question is can it hold a candle to X-Wing or Tie Fighter?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

trailer next week..,love to be wrong but probably will just be the flight game from battlefront and mp focused:)

Update: EA have now popped up a YouTube event for the Star Wars: Squadrons trailer reveal which is set to premiere on Monday, June 15th at 4pm BST / 8am PST.

Dammit Carl!

al_infierno

Well, I think hoping for a proper X-Wing or Tie Fighter candleholder in today's gaming climate is dreaming a little too far.  :D

Maybe I'm just a pessimist?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on June 12, 2020, 01:53:21 PM
Maybe I'm just a pessimist?

No, just a realist.

After reading some articles on the leaked info I doubt it'll even come close to Rogue Squadron. 

It's being done by EA Motive that worked on Battlefront II Single player campaign.   It seems to be targeted at head to head multiplayer but with a added on single player campaign that is not the focus. 

As was mentioned above, it'll probably be an advanced version of BF2's Starfighter Assault.   Right now I'd be surprised if it even went as far as to have HOTAS or head tracking support. 

Might be a fun game, Starfighter Assault was my favorite part of BF2, but my hopes are not high enough to expect the return of the Lucasarts days.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Martok

I would love a new Rogue Squadron-type game, but that seems to much to hope for, especially from EA. 

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on June 12, 2020, 01:48:12 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 12, 2020, 01:25:52 PM
The real question is can it hold a candle to X-Wing or Tie Fighter?

Word.
I have never played/owned either game.  :-[ 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Martok on June 12, 2020, 02:48:51 PM

The GoG versions are playable on modern machines.  X-Wing Alliance even has some great mods to upgrade the graphics, resolution and add HOTAS support.

Toonces

You're out of your mind if you think this is going to be anything but a gamepad, console, MP-focused Battlefront "space sim."

C'mon, this is EA.  Use your heads.   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on June 12, 2020, 04:50:31 PM
Oh, and three other words for you:
D
L
C

:D

As much as I don't like to give EA credit, they were good about delivering free content on Battlefront 2. 

DoctorQuest

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 12, 2020, 02:52:58 PM
Quote from: Martok on June 12, 2020, 02:48:51 PM

The GoG versions are playable on modern machines.  X-Wing Alliance even has some great mods to upgrade the graphics, resolution and add HOTAS support.

Do you happen to have any links to those mods?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

SirAndrewD