"Feeling Old" 2015 Edition

Started by bayonetbrant, January 15, 2015, 02:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

Quote from: MetalDog on January 15, 2015, 07:12:39 PM
I was perfect draft fodder in January '91.  I was VERY worried they were going to institute it.  Glad they didn't.  I would have made a terrible soldier.  It's why I didn't join out of high school.

In January 1979 the Soviet army had just deployed into Afghanistan. My worry was that the Cold War was going to go hot and that my militia unit (2RCA) would be in the thick of things. Scary thing is it doesn't seem that long ago!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bayonetbrant

Sheeeeesh...  30-year-olds at work describing Mighty Mouse as "possibly before my time"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Do young people today have any love for Looney Tunes cartoons?

If the answer is 'no,' I'm going to die a little inside.  :'(

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AMDo young people today have any love for Looney Tunes cartoons?

First of all, you're using "young people" in this context to describe 30-year-olds.  That's only one of your many, many problems

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AMIf the answer is 'no,' I'm going to die a little inside.  :'(

The biggest question is when/how they would ever see them.  They're not on all that often anymore, which is just disappointing.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Okay. Younger. :P

They're easily enough found. DailyMotion has a lot of them. YouTube tends to have some though not all.

http://dai.ly/x1z3hfy

Sigh...you may be correct. There's no one-stop shop. I pity the youngER generation.

Gusington

I just want to see the classic WWII episodes with the Japanese characatures.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Shelldrake on January 23, 2015, 09:11:56 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 15, 2015, 07:12:39 PM
I was perfect draft fodder in January '91.  I was VERY worried they were going to institute it.  Glad they didn't.  I would have made a terrible soldier.  It's why I didn't join out of high school.

In January 1979 the Soviet army had just deployed into Afghanistan. My worry was that the Cold War was going to go hot and that my militia unit (2RCA) would be in the thick of things. Scary thing is it doesn't seem that long ago!

I was in high school and the invasion of Afghanistan wrecked my Model UN plans. The theme for that year was human rights abuses. I persuaded my sponsor to let me represent El Salvador and was looking forward to rationalizing my country's behavior in the face of ruthless - and far worse - Communist rebels.

Then the Soviets invaded and everthing changed. Suddenly El Salvador was a tiny banana republic nobody cared about.

But one of the guys from a rival school - who was on a rival debate team and I knew - dressed up in a quasi Russian officer's uniform and absolutely stole the show. I really admired his panache.

Sorry, that's nothing like getting your wits scared out of you in a military unit, but that was my life in 1979.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AM
Do young people today have any love for Looney Tunes cartoons?

If the answer is 'no,' I'm going to die a little inside.  :'(

I introduced my kids to Looney Tunes and they loved them.

This is one of our all-time favorites

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

My cousin and I watched this on continual loop one Christmas season at work.  Oooda lolly!

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

besilarius

Chuck Jones in his autobiography tells the story that the animators were brainstorming, trying to think of a good idea for a cartoon.
One of the studio managers came in and got huffy that they were sitting around.  When told they needed a funny idea, he said that whatever they did, bullfights weren't funny.  Don't waste any time thinking about bullfights.
Well, of course you know, this meant war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GA16OY6NQ8
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

MetalDog

An appropriately themed Bugs Bunny

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^Except for the overcoat and draft that is exactly like my experience with the NY Guard.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on January 24, 2015, 05:33:44 PM
^Except for the overcoat and draft that is exactly like my experience with the NY Guard.

Just think - in 30 years you can retire!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I was explaining to my kids the other day that when I was a kid the only time we could watch cartoons was on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

And El Salvador has some very good surf.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs