Big winter storm on the way!

Started by Shelldrake, January 26, 2015, 07:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

The usual mix of wind, snow and rain for Nova Scotia but looks like those of you in the US northeast better batten down the hatches. Stay warm and safe Grogs! 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-s-blizzard-new-york-braces-for-heavy-snow-as-storms-slam-east-coast-1.2931164

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

It's looking rather biblical. I'll get my best torah scrolls out for this one.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I remember 1978 and a blizzard going through Northern Virginia that dumped close to five feet of snow.

O noes - a blizzard in winter? I'm going to laugh when only "60 centimeters" gets dropped.

Though, you know I hope you northern peeps and families stay safe. I don't care about the rest of the mouthbreathers up there.  O:-)

MikeGER

guys, get the candles (oil lamps, generators) and the Board Games ready  :o

Jarhead0331

They are calling for up to 36" in my area. People are already acting like its friggin Armageddon. I'll be surprised if we get more than 24".
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

I'm pretty sure the news isn't helping with all that craziness.

Step 1: The news reports SNOWMAGGEDON and people rush to the stores to buy out the place
Step 2: Businesses rake in the cash from easily-manipulated people thanks to the news' propaganda (and I'm sure it's ALLLL a coincidence if those same businesses advertise on the local news channel, too)
Step 3: Profit!

Wow. I'm starting to become a conspiracy nut.

bayonetbrant

They were calling for 1-2 inches in Columbia, SC back in January of 2000.  17 inches later...  it took me almost 3 hours to drive the 4 miles home.  I could've walked it faster (and probably should've).  We opened the next morning, though!

That was the White Hurricane that dumped 26 inches on Raleigh, 14 inches on Charlotte, and 6 inches on Myrtle Beach.  Yes, they were building snowmen on the beach below the Mason-Dixon line
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 26, 2015, 11:26:59 AM
They are calling for up to 36" in my area. People are already acting like its friggin Armageddon. I'll be surprised if we get more than 24".

I love a good snow storm. In the northeast it'll probably shut down the cities for a day or two then it'll be back to normal.

Buy a generator. Make sure you have at least one 4x4 in case you need to get out. I always have some extra foodstocks on hand, but it will be a good time to top off the butter and the milk and some bacon.

I always try to have a fireplace in my house - it makes passing these storms so much more cozy. Then kick back and relax. There's nothing anybody can do about it.

Oh, and make sure you're home well before the last nutjobs decide to evacuate wherever it is they're working and start clogging the freeways.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

After 12" does it really matter anymore?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

Staggerwing

Damn liquor store was out of DogfishHead 90 minute IPA! They said some guy walked in there before me and bought up all they had- Da Noive!

So I had to make do with what they had on hand...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Today, Opie was saying how much the news stations are full of shite and was taking bets on the number of inches of snow they'll get tonight. He said 16" but I think they went from 10" to 36". I get the feeling it will be a mediocre snowfall, but the news stations can't go back and admit they're wrong nor pass up the opportunity to get people stuck to their terrible newscasts.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 26, 2015, 07:39:31 PM
Damn liquor store was out of DogfishHead 90 minute IPA! They said some guy walked in there before me and bought up all they had- Da Noive!

So I had to make do with what they had on hand...

whats all that white stuff?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.