"Feeling Old" 2016 Edition

Started by BanzaiCat, January 26, 2016, 02:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 28, 2016, 09:44:40 PM
It's odd.  It still seems like a current event to me, but for them it's more a historical event.

To today's college kids, Kurt Cobain has always been dead.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Like Jim Morrison for me. Or Janis Joplin. Or Jimi Hendrix. Or Elvis.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I felt the same way when they told me Abe Lincoln had been shot.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LongBlade

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 28, 2016, 11:38:00 PM
I felt the same way when they told me Abe Lincoln had been shot.  :'(

Don't feel bad - Windy was the dude officiating the ceremony when King Tut married his sister.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on January 28, 2016, 10:21:46 PM
Like Jim Morrison for me. Or Janis Joplin. Or Jimi Hendrix. Or Elvis.

Elvis died in 1977.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Quote from: MetalDog on January 29, 2016, 06:47:36 AM
Elvis died in 1977.

Funny, I distinctly remember that moment when the news reporter came on TV.

Me: playing with toys (I was eight)
TV: Elvis is dead
Me: Looks up to watch
Others in room: Stunned silence as report ends
Me: (shrug) Goes back to playing with toys

It didn't really register with me until years later. My mom tried to explain to me what a legend he was, but my child brain couldn't wrap around that fact. Same goes with kids today, too. I remember asking my daughter a few months ago about Kurt Cobain...she knew who he was, so I couldn't have been prouder.

Gusington

I was 3 in '77. And Elvis ain't really dead anyway. The first real rock death that affected me was John Lennon. I was 6 years old for that and remember my mother crying for three days straight.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on January 29, 2016, 08:31:54 AM
I was 3 in '77. And Elvis ain't really dead anyway. The first real rock death that affected me was John Lennon. I was 6 years old for that and remember my mother crying for three days straight.

True enough. The highly factual documentary, Bubba Ho-Tep, indicates Elvis was in a nursing home with JFK.

Sir Slash

Everybody knows that the Beatles were a science experiment. They used DNA from the airplane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ricky Valens, and The Big Bopper to create the Beatles in a lab in Liverpool. They were going to do the same thing with Elvis' DNA but they figured he pretty well spread it around by himself enough. Somebody did steal some of Elvis' DNA and took it to the Jackson's house where it was spilled by accident and spread through the... whole....family.  :o That's strong stuff.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Emeraldlis

I listened to a radio show today , an hour slot called the golden oldies . The playlist was from the 90's   :(  I was still in high school in the early to mid 90's ......it wasn't THAT long ago , was it  ??? ......sigh :-\  the DJ probably wasn't even alive when I was born  ;D
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

MetalDog

I've got news for you, you are one of the youngsters here.   ;D