"Feeling Old" 2016 Edition

Started by BanzaiCat, January 26, 2016, 02:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Emeraldlis on April 02, 2016, 09:14:29 AM
I listened to a radio show today , an hour slot called the golden oldies . The playlist was from the 90's   :(  I was still in high school in the early to mid 90's ......it wasn't THAT long ago , was it  ??? ......sigh :-\  the DJ probably wasn't even alive when I was born  ;D

I can relate. The first time that I heard Nirvana on the local classic rock station, my world broke.

UBoater

I remember when I was younger getting on elevators and in department stores hearing 50's music and thinking man that's old...
Now I get on elevators and start singing along with the songs... uh oh.

The worst was sitting in the orthodontist chair while doing an extended root canal sedated. The Dr. was playing a 70's folk rock stream and I was zoning out - and I felt like I was in Junior High in my mind. Then when the drill started again I was back in the present real quick...

"Fire and Rain" - James Taylor
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
Santayana

Starfire Saga ISW-1:
First Contact: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19664.0
Return to VX-134: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19773.0
Battle of Orphichon: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20012.0
The Federation Strikes: http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=24520.0

Gusington

I graduated high school in 1992 😡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

By 1992 I had already voted for President 5 times. And none of them more than once per election. I already had illegitimate children graduating from High School in 1992.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 02, 2016, 10:14:26 PM
By 1992 I had already voted for President 5 times. And none of them more than once per election. I already had illegitimate children graduating from High School in 1992.  :coolsmiley:

Making you legitimately old.  :P

I had my first legal beer in the summer of 1981.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Gusington on April 02, 2016, 09:55:05 PM
I graduated high school in 1992 😡

I left in 1994 , and I couldn't wait to get out into the adult world .....what an idiot !  :uglystupid2:

Quote from: MetalDog on April 02, 2016, 12:34:40 PM
I've got news for you, you are one of the youngsters here.   ;D

That does make me feel a tad bit better  :smitten: 

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 02, 2016, 01:07:59 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on April 02, 2016, 09:14:29 AM
I listened to a radio show today , an hour slot called the golden oldies . The playlist was from the 90's   :(  I was still in high school in the early to mid 90's ......it wasn't THAT long ago , was it  ??? ......sigh :-\  the DJ probably wasn't even alive when I was born  ;D

I can relate. The first time that I heard Nirvana on the local classic rock station, my world broke.

I remember river Phoenix dying  :(  I watched a film with my daughter with him in it , she didn't even know who he was or that he was dead  ....ugh.  :tickedoff:

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 03, 2016, 05:42:35 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 02, 2016, 10:14:26 PM

Making you legitimately old.  :P

I had my first legal beer in the summer of 1981.

Um......stags , I only started school in 1982 !!!  I could have joined you for a beer though in about '96 .......legally 
O0 
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bayonetbrant

For today's college students, Kurt Cobain has always been dead
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

I was pushing shopping carts through the Grand Union parking lot in Albany NY when I found out Kurt Kobain killed himself. I got so pissed...I knew he had problems but I thought he could get through them. Have not listened to my Nirvana albums since then. Thank God for Dave Grohl!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Most of this year's college grads were born in 1994.  That was the year of...

QuoteNationally, folks watched O.J. Simpson lead police on a chase in his white Ford Bronco. They didn't watch Major League Baseball, because the season was cancelled due to a players' strike. The NHL had a shortened season because of a strike.
...Susan Smith drowned her two young children in Union County, SC. Shannon Faulkner fought to become the first female cadet at The Citadel, but dropped out.

QuoteSouth Carolina Gamecocks won their first bowl game, with a 33-7 win over West Virginia in the Carquest Bowl. Steve Taneyhill was quarterback and it was Brad Scott's first season as coach.
Hootie and the Blowfish released "Cracked Rear View," which made them nationally famous.
Friends debuted on TV
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Boggit

I keep telling myself that age is a relative thing, and it's all about self perception. I've managed to convince myself too... ^-^ ;D
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Steelgrave

Sigh....you kids today......I was born in the waning days of the Eisenhower administration. I remember Bobby Kennedy and MLK being assassinated, I watched Apollo 11 land on the moon via an old black and white TV rolled into my elementary school classroom. Telephones with push buttons instead of rotary dials were the greatest invention ever. I watched every single Muhammad Ali fight broadcast live and my first concert was Elvis the year before he died. I paid $400 for my first car, a 1958 Bel Air that I drove into the ground and I'd give anything to have it back. And I've put 50 cents worth of gas into my car to get home.

Bite me. I still feel young   8)

Sir Slash

1994? I was already getting forgetful in 1994. But I was still young enough that I could play President and the Intern.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I was working at the Grand Union in a suburb of Albany as the bottle return guy, the salad bar guy, the cart guy and bagger. It was at that job where I first heard that Cobain killed himself. I was also a sophomore in college.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 01:07:27 PM
Sigh....you kids today......I was born in the waning days of the Eisenhower administration. I remember Bobby Kennedy and MLK being assassinated, I watched Apollo 11 land on the moon via an old black and white TV rolled into my elementary school classroom. Telephones with push buttons instead of rotary dials were the greatest invention ever. I watched every single Muhammad Ali fight broadcast live and my first concert was Elvis the year before he died. I paid $400 for my first car, a 1958 Bel Air that I drove into the ground and I'd give anything to have it back. And I've put 50 cents worth of gas into my car to get home.

Well, at least you feel young.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on May 04, 2016, 05:15:41 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 01:07:27 PM

Well, at least you feel young.

Ha! And I'm still hangin' with smartasses, just like back in the day   :coolsmiley: