Groundhog Problem

Started by Bison, September 03, 2012, 11:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^That thing above is much more cuddly then the horrors I had to deal with.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Really?   It's over 10 ft long you know.

Quote from: crackedBobbit Worm

At over 10 feet long, bobbit worms are about the closest thing we have to the sand worm in Dune. They have toxic bristles up and down their body that can cause permanent nerve damage to anyone who touches them, and they feed by grabbing their prey with massive, strong jaws and sucking it down into the sand.

They are ambush predators that wait in shallow waters with only about a tenth of their body poking out of the sand and their mouths stretched completely open. As soon as one of their antennae detects something in the water, they lunge for it, even if it's significantly bigger than they are. Their strikes, it should be noted, are so powerful that they'll sometimes accidentally just cut fish in half while trying to grab them.

To get a sense of how horrifying these worms are, at Newquay's Blue Reef Aquarium in the U.K., they couldn't figure out what was eating all their fish each night. They set up traps with fishing line and hooks, and each morning the lines were snapped and the hooks and bait were gone. After taking the aquarium apart, they found a massive bobbit worm in the sand that had apparently just been digesting the hooks.

Oh, and the bobbit worm, just like us, prefers warm, shallow waters. So we're probably going to have to let them have the good beaches for now.

Gusington

Hey the thing above is still recognizable as something from Earth. And although bigger than the millipedes I had to get rid of, they are not nearly as icky looking. If they move fast, that's another story. The ones I had were super fast and totally silent.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

holy crap - i hate spiders, i would never sleep, sat on the sofa at night with a deadly array of matches and deodorent, bleach and a big yellow pages - jesus, they even give you money in the states?!?!?

Gusington

^Panic is the first step toward defeat. Don't panic! What would Winston Churchill do?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Dunno.  I'm in BC.  I'm assuming he's a tourist up from Seattle trying to score some weed.

MetalDog

^LOL!!!!!!

Seriously though, outside, use yellow lights.  It cuts down on the amount of bugs drawn to the house.  That will cut down on the number of spiders.  Inside, make sure your screens are whole, use sweeps on the bottoms of your doors and sticky glue boards along the baseboards.  That'll catch a goodly amount of what is roaming around.

As far as the groundhog is concerned, down here, they use pellets.  The container is shaped like an ice cream cone.  There is a lid at the wide end that unscrews and the pointy end is used to make a whole in the tunnel.  How effective they are, I do not know, but I see them in peoples garages frequently.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Doubly so for us Canucks who grew up watching Hinterland Who's Who vignettes on the CBC.  They nailed the voice and tone perfectly.

Steelgrave

During a brief time living in base housing on Tinker AFB, Oklahoma City, I found a couple of Brown Recluses in my house. Wasn't happy about that at all, so I called Base Entomology to ask them to deal with the problem and was promptly told that I in fact was not sharing my abode with Brown Recluses, that I was mistaken. Knowing action to count more than words, one week later I walked into BE and sat a glass jar with four of the little nasty critters on the front desk, all of which I had captured within our home. That did provoke a more satisfactory response from Base Entomology as they came out the very next day.

Gusington

^Was the next step to let them out of the jar?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on September 03, 2012, 03:38:36 PM
^Was the next step to let them out of the jar?

Haha, no....but I didn't take the jar home with me either.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

The issue is not the groundhog so much as he has decided to live within 10 of the kids swingset and in front of my shed doors.  Punxsutawney Phil is going to come to the quick realization that Groundhog Day is just a movie.  I just need to figure out the method of excecuting the plan.  I wonder if anti-freeze works on groundhogs like it does other animals.   That might be the cheapest, but not most efficent method of combat.  Frankly a 9mm slug would solve the problem in about 10 seconds and I could build a groundhog hunting stand in the nearest oak tree.  Damn city ordinances!