Constitution to sail under her own power - August 19th

Started by Con, August 13, 2012, 07:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

I didn't know where else to post this but here is an email from the USS Constitution Museum saying that Old Ironsides will be sailing under her own power to commemorate her Bicentennial of her successful victory over HMS Guerriere

If you are in Boston this would be well worth seeing.  I am going to check and see if I can get one of these tickets for myself if the wife will let me escape out of the house and leave her with the 8 month old twins

Con

Join the USS Constitution Museum and Boston Harbor Cruises to see
USS Constitution Under Sail

Sunday, August 19, 2012

10:00 AM - 3:00 PM

Departs promptly at 10:00 AM. Boarding begins at 9:30 AM on Long Wharf

On Board Frederick L. Nolan

$75.00 per person

$65.00 USS Constitution Museum Members

Full Lunch is included - Cash Bar

*USS Constitution setting sail is weather dependent

Expert narration by USS Constitution Museum staff

This is the 200th anniversary of the day that USS Constitution captured the British frigate Guerriere during the War of 1812 and earned the nickname "Old Ironsides." To mark the occasion, Constitution will set sail for the first time since July 1997.

USS Constitution will get underway with tug assistance from the Charlestown Navy Yard at 10:00 AM. She will arrive at Castle Island 11:15 AM and will prepare to set sail in President Roads. The sails will be set by 12:00. The tug will assist Constitution back to her berth by 2:30 PM.

Buy your tickets today!

To redeem member discount:

When purchasing tickets on the website DO NOT click on "add to cart." Navigate to lower left - hand side of the website and click on Online Promotions Use the code "ironsides12" to check out.

Members must have valid USS Constitution Museum membership card when boarding.

United States Postal Service Unveils
War of 1812 Forever® Stamp
of USS Constitution

August 18th, 2012

10 AM

Charlestown Navy Yard

In collaboration with the United States Postal Service, the Navy Yard partners will unveil a War of 1812 Commemorative Forever® stamp featuring USS Constitution. Representatives from USPS, Boston National Historical Park, Naval History & Heritage Command Detachment

Boston, USS Constitution, and the USS Constitution Museum will be on hand at the official dedication.

First-day-of-issue stamps, stamp cachets, and special cancellations will be available for purchase after the ceremony in the yard. The Museum Store will also have special cachets and stamp related gift items for sale.

The original painting used for the design of the stamp will be on exhibit at the USS Constitution Museum. "Constitution," by Michele Felice Cornè, c.1803 is on loan from Navy Art Collection, Naval History and Heritage Command and is the oldest known image of USS Constitution.

Parking available at Nautica Garage. MBTA and water shuttle are encouraged. Valid photo identification required to attend the 10 AM unveiling ceremony located within Constitution's perimeter. Please allow up to one half hour to enter through security line.

August 17 - 19
There is more to enjoy!
Join us for an entire weekend of commemorating the 200th anniversary of USS Constitution's victory over HMS Guerriere. Over 100 1812 Marines and reenactors arrive in the yard dressed to impress! They are setting up camp for the weekend to demonstrate just what life was like fro American and British troops in 1812. The Museum will host a lecture by Commander Tyrone G. Martin, US Navy (Ret.) at noon on Friday, August 17th. Get there early to grab a seat for "Constitution vs. Guerriere: What Really Happened?" Additionally, the Museum will be offering several different family programs including "Design Your own Stamp" and "Write Letters to the Troops." Click here for more information and to begin planning your weekend adventure!

For more information contact Jodie McMenamin at jmcmenamin@ussconstitutionmuseum.org or by phone at 617.426.1812 ext 124.

www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

That would be something to see.  I hope if you make it you take lots of pictures
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

steve58

I remember touring Old Ironsides way back when I was a kid.  Beautiful ship, wish I could go.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Con

So I am back from Seeing Old Ironsides after she hoisted her sails for the first time since 1997. 

I took one of the harbor cruises which was staffed with volunteers from the Constitution Museum providing a running commentary on shipboard life, nautical terms and the anniversary of her battle with HMS Guerriere (which occured 200 years ago today)!

They did a great job, reading from the logs and accounts of participants of the battle on both sides.  The Brits on our boat were not too pleased at the times editorial which was quoted as   ;)

"It is not merely that an English frigate has been taken, after, what we are free to confess, may be called a brave resistance, but that it has been taken by a new enemy, and enemy unaccustomed to such triumphs, and likely to be rendered insolent and confident by them"

The weather sort of cooperated.  The navy is very skittish about sailing Constitution and it was only a combination of events that prompted this sail.  They had an evolution of chief petty officers doing training in Boston who had trained for several weeks to provide the manpower and there was a historical celebration with a weather window.  Speaking of the weather they wouldnt sail her ig the wind was greater than 15mph.  Turned out that it was even less than 5 so no photos of her sails billowing out :(

She rendered a 21 gun salute to Castle Island fort on the way back and I have a close up of Marine detatchment in their Shakos on board her.  The marines played a key roal in the fight as Gueriere and Constitution got entangled and collided in the engagement and boarding parties were formed to board the Constitution but the marines fought them off before they could board.

All in all a very enjoyable day and one that according to the museum might not happen again since the Navy is so very concerned that the Constitution will snap in two when under stress of sailing

Con

TheCommandTent

Sounds like a great experience!  Thanks for sharing the pictures.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bob48

That is fantastic - thanks for posting such great pictures.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

She sure is a great looking ship. Now I have a 'Tall Ship' jones... :D I'm going to have to take a day off when the kids are back in school and hit up the Mystic Seaport again. Sadly, budget cuts mean that a number of positions have been eliminated so some exhibits will probably be closed.  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys