Main Menu

Shallow Space

Started by Anguille, August 15, 2014, 09:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

I ended up buying into this too.  Got an email recently to say to look out for a fulfilment email from Humble soon.  Excitement!  I'll be sure to post impressions as soon as I have any.

Huw the Poo

It's live!  Downloading on Steam now.  461 MB download.

Anguille

Nefaro

Soooo....

I can see that this is heavily influenced by the Homeworld series.  I'm curious about how a campaign plays out though, since there is some brief mention of getting side missions or something.  Is there some kind of exploration or non-linearity?

mikeck

I'm interested but- as usual- combat looks hectic. Why games have to be so fast paced that you can't enjoy looking at things during battle I will never know. Anyway, is there a button that changes the battle to 1/2 speed or something?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Its pretty bare bones so far. Nothing but a pretty simple skirmish mode, a few hull classes and limited weapons and modules with which to configure ships. Furthermore, one of my peripherals is causing a conflict and keeps causing the camera to scroll to the left, so until I sort that out its unplayable for me.

All that being said, I really like where the developers are headed with this and they seem to be trying to create a distinctly naval feel, which I really like. I'd give it some time to cook in the oven if you're on the fence.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 21, 2015, 08:45:29 PM
Its pretty bare bones so far. Nothing but a pretty simple skirmish mode, a few hull classes and limited weapons and modules with which to configure ships. Furthermore, one of my peripherals is causing a conflict and keeps causing the camera to scroll to the left, so until I sort that out its unplayable for me.

Always ended up being a joystick I had plugged in, when that happened with other games in the past.  Or a USB console-style controller.

I recall some people mentioning it being a regular problem with some drawing or drafting peripherals too, years ago, but I've never used 'em.

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on October 21, 2015, 09:13:57 PM

Always ended up being a joystick I had plugged in, when that happened with other games in the past.  Or a USB console-style controller.

I recall some people mentioning it being a regular problem with some drawing or drafting peripherals too, years ago, but I've never used 'em.

Yep...x-com did the same thing to me. It was the joystick being plugged in
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Tpek

All that being said, I really like where the developers are headed with this and they seem to be trying to create a distinctly naval feel, which I really like. I'd give it some time to cook in the oven if you're on the fence.

So would you describe the game in its current state as... Shallow?  ;D

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on October 22, 2015, 08:42:54 AM

So would you describe the game in its current state as... Shallow?  ;D

I see what you did there.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

...so I seez this one is on sale for $5 over at HB for the next day.  Anyone still playing it?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: steve58 on May 19, 2016, 12:26:53 PM
...so I seez this one is on sale for $5 over at HB for the next day.  Anyone still playing it?

There's no game yet.  In fact, they recently decided to take the game in a different direction.  If I recall correctly, it's going from being a mission-based campaign to an open-world game.  But in any event, completion seems a long way off.

steve58

Thx Huw  O0.  Found their updated roadmap.  Might still pick it up as its only a fiver.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Huw the Poo

Yeah it must be worth a punt at that price; the game could be a good one eventually.

Anguille

I have it already for a while but haven't played yet.