Aggressors: Ancient Rome

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 05, 2018, 03:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Quote from: jomni on August 31, 2018, 05:19:54 PM
I think the dev described it as a medium ground between Civ and EU if I'm not mistaken.

Seems a bit more Civ than EU, but much more than simple Civ. A lot less building and more ops than Civ....hence the "Aggressors" in the title. I am still figuring all of this out.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Now that I have played 8+ hours I have to say that I think this is a seriously underrated game. I am an ancient world nut and have, literally, dozens of books on the ancient Med, including works by Plutarch, Thucydides, Herodotus, Caesar, etc. I think this is a great "overview" level game that dips into the operational level.There is not really anything new, but there really does not need to be to make a good game. These guys seem to have taken all of the good bits from lots of other games and put them together quite well. The game seems to get better the longer I play and the deeper into the tech tree I go. I am still learning the systems.

Things I do not like:
Individual units fight -  no stack or combined arms type combat. given the scale, this is not unreasonable, but...

UI - better than I thought, once I got used to it, but still a bit cumbersome in a very few places. Lacks easily available feedback in a few things.

Diplomacy - Deep in many ways, but allows diplomacy too early to nations too far separated. Has nice
touches like time lag.

At the moment (180 BC) I am fighting Carthage in the Central Med and Egypt in Greece. Resource constraints are severe problems, mainly lumber and metals. Coal supplies are barely sufficient. I cannot wait to restart and do some things over and I really cannot wait to start a BIG, slow random map game. If we ever get a fantasy unit set, this may become my main game. So says solops, in the early learning days of a new game (always the best of times....familiarity reveals warts).
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

airboy

I've read the 225 page manual.  Then I started playing yesterday.  I'm hooked.

This is two big games in one package.

Game 1: A "civ type game" where you start with a bunch of other civilizations in either a random world or the Med.  You can adjust almost everything in the game.  If you don't like something, the code itself can be adjusted very easily.  This game has most of the regular trappings of 4x games (research, exploration, foreign relations, etc....) but works much better than almost everything I've seen.  The military side of the AI is extremely aggressive to the point of launching dangerous amphibious attacks both on you and on other AI opponents.

Game 2: You play in the Med around 250 BC.  You can play a "big power": Carthage, Rome, Egypt, Athens, etc..... or a teeny-tiny power (a German tribe) or anything in-between. 

I think the reception of the game was harmed by a couple of things.
1] There are so many 4x games.
2] This one is complex.  You have to carefully manage your resources and there are a dozen of them.  What you can do is highly limited by your resources.
3] The "default game" is to drop you into an advanced strategic situation (Ancient Med) with vast power differences between the sides.  Even starting as Rome leaves you with a lot of tough initial problems.

So far, the game has been awesome!  I initially started in the advanced world - and decided I did not really understand the rule concepts.  I dropped back into random world and a low level (barbarian) starting point to grasp the rules setting.  That game alone is much better from a military wargame 4x perspective than most any 4x game I've played in a long, long time.  The combat AI is just a lot better than most 4x games and the game does allow combat - unlike the CIV games which throw so many obstacles in your path that it is hard to wage war.

uncajerf

Hi, All!

Nice to find this site I hadn't heard of before (shame on me, I know)! I happen to have been on the beta team for Aggressors, and can add my $.02 to airboy's and solop's  observations -- actually, they've pretty much said it all! :)

If any of you are still on the fence, give Aggressors a go; it's well-supported (still), and is pretty much endlessly customisable. As for future, well... ;)

J

JasonPratt

Welcome to the forum! -- glad to see a beta tester on the game!  O0

AB, I've been thinking about getting back into the game again now that there has been time to iron out things.

Relatedly, would anyone like to set up a Groghead multiplayer match? (......caveat, I haven't checked yet if mp is a thing for this game...)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Don't tempt me Pratt! (Set to the tune of Don't Fence Me In)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

uncajerf

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 23, 2019, 02:45:16 PM
Welcome to the forum! -- glad to see a beta tester on the game!  O0

Thanx! :)
AB, I've been thinking about getting back into the game again now that there has been time to iron out things.

Relatedly, would anyone like to set up a Groghead multiplayer match? (......caveat, I haven't checked yet if mp is a thing for this game...)

Unfortunately not (yet...?). :/

J

uncajerf

Aggressors: Ancient Rome 34 % off @ GoG.com! :)

J

al_infierno

I was feeling pretty lukewarm about this but now I'm interested.  I was going to just wait for FoG: Empires, but this looks like it's actually pretty different.

Also -- where are you seeing the GoG discount?

EDIT - Argh, I'm an idiot.  I thought this thread was about that new Imperator game.  THIS game looks worth my while!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I almost bought Aggressors last night at that sale price. Held off. It is still 34% off at GOG...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I have written a very detailed, seven page review with screenshots based on 117 hours of play.  The review includes multiple strategy suggestions.

See: https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/02/aggressors-ancient-rome-a-very-detailed-review/

Anguille

Quote from: airboy on July 02, 2019, 11:06:31 AM
I have written a very detailed, seven page review with screenshots based on 117 hours of play.  The review includes multiple strategy suggestions.

See: https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/02/aggressors-ancient-rome-a-very-detailed-review/
Impressive....and cool. Thanks!

-budd-

Well done, very in depth. I've got my Matrix coupon in my pocket I'll be picking up this game and FOG Empires next week. That's why I'm mostly sitting out the steam sale.
Thanks for the info.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Steelgrave

You're the man, Airboy. Great job!