rory mckilroy wins Irish open golf 2016

Started by Emeraldlis, May 24, 2016, 08:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraldlis

Did anyone watch the golf on Sunday ? I had a ticket to go and watch the last day of the Irish open at the K-club in straffan ,Kildare ,near Dublin  :) so that's where I was at the weekend , and wow , what a day !! I will NEVER forget Rory mckilroys last two shots up to the 18th green ...when he hit the ball over 250 yards , to land it about two foot from the flag , we all went completely crazy   :o :o :o it was a certainty he only had to putt it and he was the winner , and he sank  that last putt , and we all went crazy ....again. !!!  :D a guy near me shouted "I'm proud of you son" , and I think that pretty much sums up the sentiments of all of us that day who were privileged enough to watch a guy with that much talent win his first Irish open O0  I was stood right in front of the seating stand on the hill,along with over 25,000 other people , and had a fantastic view of his win ,A really worthy winner , well done mckilroy  O0

He did some other great shots during the day though . I was stood behind him at the 5 th hole as he tee'd off , and it was an epic shot , it sailed high and long , straight in front of  a big grey cloud in front of us , whilst the sun was shining on our faces .....the stuff of legends . And I was stood right in front of the 10 th green as he sank a sweet putt that he had to curve to get it into the hole , awesome !!

I sadly didn't see his epic shot at the 16th , I watched it on replay later , but I heard all the cheering from the 18 th , where I was waiting and watching all the other golfers come through . As soon as we all heard the cheering we knew he'd just done something spectacular!! And he had , he'd just hit a shot straight over the river Liffey onto the 16th green , from near some trees , another long hit around about 250 yards again  :o

It was just an awesome day , I walked miles through more mud than I care to remember , it lashed it down with rain and hailstones that I got caught in twice , we got totally lost trying to find our car park at the end of the day , lol , and my feet and legs were just wrecked !!! But I'd do it all again , I saw some of the most talented players in the world ,play , and seeing all that skill close up was totally worth all the bad weather and delays  :smitten:

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bayonetbrant

Would rather watch hurling than golf, sorry :(
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

The stuff the professionals and diehards can make are simply amazing.  Having said that, watching golf is like watching paint dry.  Super glad you enjoyed though :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on May 24, 2016, 06:08:38 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 24, 2016, 08:36:31 AM
Would rather watch hurling curling than golf, sorry :(

FTFY.  O0

No you didn't.  You fixed that for yourself ;)

I'm all about watching some hurling...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

Well , each to their own , be that hurling or curling  :P  I agree it can be boring watching it on tv , I think it's one of those sports you either have to play or watch in person for golf to be exciting , interesting , whatever !!

I honestly think though that watching any talented sports person from any sport is interesting . I can definately appreciate watching anyone who's honed their craft , or put goodness knows how many hours into practicing and playing their chosen sport  :)

The county I live in , county Clare , has a cracking hurling team  ;)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

MetalDog

People say the same thing about watching baseball.  Boring.  And that's ok.  While I love baseball, and watching it, it is the stories the announcers tell and the calling of the game that keeps me watching.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MetalDog

^ I endorse that position wholeheartedly :)

Dammit Carl!

The current crop of up-and-comers (Day, Spieth, et al) seem to be a decent bunch of folks and are a joy to watch.  I hope they all have good, long and successful runs.