To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Now i have to play Victoria 2 as well!

al_infierno

Interesting.  I don't know that I trust modern Paradox to pull this off, being honest.  The claims of "no mana" sound promising, but I'm going to be holding my excitement until we see some actual gameplay.  I do wonder how they cracked the problem of nobody knowing how the economy worked in the original game, or if they just made a whole new system from scratch.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

jamus34

I'm excited for this.

Even with all of their flaws I still like the games Paradox puts out. I agree with the consensus that going public probably wasn't the best decision for them but the video game industry is tough.

Insert witty comment here.

Boggit

Quote from: al_infierno on May 21, 2021, 03:31:25 PM
Interesting.  I don't know that I trust modern Paradox to pull this off, being honest.  The claims of "no mana" sound promising, but I'm going to be holding my excitement until we see some actual gameplay.  I do wonder how they cracked the problem of nobody knowing how the economy worked in the original game, or if they just made a whole new system from scratch.
I like the idea, but like you I'm cautious as Paradox seem to have some serious problems at the moment. If they can pull it off and better than Vicky2 then I will be very excited about  it.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

Quote from: al_infierno on May 21, 2021, 03:31:25 PM
I do wonder how they cracked the problem of nobody knowing how the economy worked in the original game, or if they just made a whole new system from scratch.

Considering that they included a modified form of it in Imperator, I can't say I'm optimistic about this. ;)

Fortunately, the economy tended to work itself in Vicky2, at least in my experience.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 22, 2021, 12:31:09 AM

Fortunately, the economy tended to work itself in Vicky2, at least in my experience.

Assuming you restarted the game semi-regularly....  :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

fran

Would like to see where they go with this title, after Crusader Kings 3 I have high expectations for it.

Old TImer

"Considering that they included a modified form of it in Imperator, I can't say I'm optimistic about this. ;)"

I have zero confidence that Paradox will get this right.  I'm glad they're finally doing Vic 3 but after Imp.Rome
and Empire of Sin I just don't know about Paradox anymore.  They seem to be drifting.

solops

Quote from: gregb41352 on May 22, 2021, 08:44:03 PM
"Considering that they included a modified form of it in Imperator, I can't say I'm optimistic about this. ;)"

I have zero confidence that Paradox will get this right.  I'm glad they're finally doing Vic 3 but after Imp.Rome
and Empire of Sin I just don't know about Paradox anymore.  They seem to be drifting.
+1
Sad, because Vic is my favorite paradox title.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm a bit worried that they're going to try to sanitize much of the history in order to appeal to present day morality and avoid controversy now that they're publicly traded.

devoncop

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 22, 2021, 11:27:31 PM
I'm a bit worried that they're going to try to sanitize much of the history in order to appeal to present day morality and avoid controversy now that they're publicly traded.

Paradox have dropped the ball a couple of times recently but I don't think CK3 could be said to have adjusted its gameplay mechanics to "sanitize much of the history to appeal to modern day morality" given the commonplace incest and familial murder plots !

I never played Vicky 1 or 2 though have just picked up Vicky 2 for a song to try and learn some mechanics and get into the game before Vicky 3 arrives. It is a period of history I love so I have no idea why I passed it by.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Bamilus

I have zero expectations given the trend of Paradox lately, but I will say they are at least saying the right things so far and Wiz is the only person I'd even remotely trust to do a decent job. The fact that there's no mana and no mission trees already removes two of the biggest knocks on modern Paradox design philosophy. My gut tells me the game will still pale in comparison to Vic 2 and I'd highly recommend not pre-ordering. Paradox really needs to learn to not take customers for granted and if they want my money then they'll have to knock this one out of the park on release. No more pay $60 and wait 3 years for another $100 in DLC, patches, and mods to flesh out the game.

Having bought Paradox games for almost 20 years, I'm pretty much done with the studio but I look forward to seeing the reviews on this after it drops. Until then it's not worth the time following given how many bridges they've burned.

devoncop

Quote from: Bamilus on May 23, 2021, 10:44:03 AM
I have zero expectations given the trend of Paradox lately, but I will say they are at least saying the right things so far and Wiz is the only person I'd even remotely trust to do a decent job. The fact that there's no mana and no mission trees already removes two of the biggest knocks on modern Paradox design philosophy. My gut tells me the game will still pale in comparison to Vic 2 and I'd highly recommend not pre-ordering. Paradox really needs to learn to not take customers for granted and if they want my money then they'll have to knock this one out of the park on release. No more pay $60 and wait 3 years for another $100 in DLC, patches, and mods to flesh out the game.

Having bought Paradox games for almost 20 years, I'm pretty much done with the studio but I look forward to seeing the reviews on this after it drops. Until then it's not worth the time following given how many bridges they've burned.

Agree with all the points Bamilus made bere. Definitely  no pre order from me either.

If I get into Vicky2 then I may try and hold out for a year or so post release so I can pick it up cheaper and more complete.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games