Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader

Started by Jarhead0331, June 07, 2022, 09:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Such potential with the concept, but I have my doubts and concerns with the scale, genre and execution here.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Hmmm....quite interesting trailer.  Could this be something like Baldur's Gate goes Warhammer 40K? 

CJReich46

IIRC, they have an pen and paper RPG- Rogue Trader where the players are characters inside the 40k 'verse.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/65991/Rogue-Trader-Core-Rulebook?src=hottest_filtered

I remember Fantasy Flight Games at one time having that as well but that might have changed.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: CJReich46 on June 07, 2022, 01:23:45 PM
IIRC, they have an pen and paper RPG- Rogue Trader where the players are characters inside the 40k 'verse.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/65991/Rogue-Trader-Core-Rulebook?src=hottest_filtered

I remember Fantasy Flight Games at one time having that as well but that might have changed.

And it's gonzo. 

Gusington

Don't really like the art style but I do like the general idea of this.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on June 07, 2022, 06:02:02 PM
Don't really like the art style but I do like the general idea of this.

Same here, it looks like they wanted an "Amazon Prime animated series" feel and had to go with the discount bin animators.  The artwork is OK if not my cup of tea, but the animations are very choppy and unpleasing to watch.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I am a writer, not an artist at all, but even I could see the animations are whack.

WHACK!

Still...I like it, on paper.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Wow! -- the original 40K game, finally adapted?!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 08, 2022, 02:33:58 PM
Wow! -- the original 49K game, finally adapted?!

Somehow...by the grace of God...I've managed to keep my copy of the original Rogue Trader from circa 1986, despite all the moves and changes AND it's in near pristine condition, too! I also have all the original codex and many of the original White Dwarf magazines.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

^ Wow, that must be worth a pretty penny - especially if it's a first edition.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on June 08, 2022, 03:23:52 PM

It is indeed.  Got to drop around $250-$300 for it in that condition.  Only core book I'm missing. 

Got nothing on my pristine copy of Dune Chronicles of the Imperium though.   :nerd:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 08, 2022, 03:35:08 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on June 08, 2022, 03:23:52 PM

It is indeed.  Got to drop around $250-$300 for it in that condition.  Only core book I'm missing. 

Wow. i see one on Abe Books going for $601!

The art work on the cover is what gripped my imagination. I haven't looked back since. Hard to believe it has been 35 years... :hide:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

Lots of rogue trading happening on that cover!  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 08, 2022, 05:07:06 PM

40k was never supposed to be what you see now - it was border struggles and patrols - a couple guys versus their coupla guys - you can see that in the points system and setups in the rogue trader book

al_infierno

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 09, 2022, 01:38:10 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 08, 2022, 05:07:06 PM

40k was never supposed to be what you see now - it was border struggles and patrols - a couple guys versus their coupla guys - you can see that in the points system and setups in the rogue trader book

Am I a dweeb for thinking this sounds a bit more interesting than "fifty guys fighting over a tiny square patch of land"?

- MengJiao