Help Out a Fellow Grog!

Started by bayonetbrant, September 26, 2014, 01:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

What's a particular game topic you've been looking for?  Maybe someone here can help you find one!

Me? I'd love to find something on the Central American conflicts of the 80s, but not just the pure "shoot people" game from the '80s.  Id like to see a more nuanced approach to the world that includes NGOs, the media, political factions, outside support, etc.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

The 7 Weeks War of 1866 and the Franco-Prussian War.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Nefaro

Not a wargame but something with that flavor:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/274/guerilla

I've never played it but seen it mentioned a couple times. 

James Sterrett

Are you looking for actual copies of things, or simply suggestions of titles?

For Central America, consider Joe Miranda's Nicaragua: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7058/nicaragua
    Though, personally, I found it a bit of a mess, it was a serious attempt that did try hard to replicate the nonkinetic angles.

For the Franco-Prussian War, options include:  http://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objecttype=boardgame&q=franco-prussian+war&B1=Go
    I've only seen the 1972 SPI version, which I found uninspired.

You can get a ~1880 map of the Metz area from Too Fat Lardies:  http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_reviews&products_id=62
    It's gorgeous and built for Kriegsspiel use.  We fought some Kriegsspiel battles over this terrain, and a few years later went there; I insisted we stop the car in a few places because I was recognizing key terrain from those game battles.

Too Fat Lardies also have a map of the Koniggratz area from the same era: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13

bayonetbrant

Thanks James.

Follow-up separate issue...  are there any good wargames on the bush wars in sub-Saharan Africa in the 60s?

I've got 2 of DG's Commando series (Congo / Angola) plus the Angola '87 game from S&T and the LPS's Biafra game.  All are OK, none are stunning, and the S&T game might be the best of the bunch.  I don't feel like I wasted nay money on them, but I don't feel like there's a good operational-level game of any of hte post-colonial meltdowns, either.

Who's got any suggestions...?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

So, BB...why not make one?  8)

bob48

Yeah. Why not define what it is you want, and lay down some parameters and let people come up with idea's. After all, you have here a pool of very experienced gamers.

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 01, 2014, 11:26:10 AM
So, BB...why not make one?  8)

like I don't have 192374512309487 other things I'm doing!

besides, the last game I asked for feedback on was roundly ignored by all y'all f'ers ;)
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11227.0

bob48

Meh!

Well, it looks like some of us are reading this and paying attention. :tickedoff:

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bob48 on October 01, 2014, 11:31:37 AM
Yeah. Why not define what it is you want, and lay down some parameters and let people come up with idea's. After all, you have here a pool of very experienced gamers.

I'm eventually going to port over the "designing out loud" stuff I was doing back at GrogNews and let y'all go at it.  Which should result in another battalion of crickets in a new thread :)

BanzaiCat

I'm not much of a minis guy. I read your thread but really didn't have anything to add except to pontificate that it sounded like a medieval combat game but with possible modern tech involved, which in turn reminded me of Heroscape.

bayonetbrant

The idea with AnyMinis was not to mix modern + western + fantasy + robots in one game. It was to use base set of rules to grab 10 minis out of the 25ยข bin at a convetion and start playing :)

bayonetbrant

If y'all want to actually talk about that wacky idea, let's shift those posts back to that thread