Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

$1000 on a game that is still in alpha and may never see the light of day in anything like what has been promised.  I guess if you look at it as a little over $100 per year it's not so bad.  But is there enough gameplay to make it worth even that?  That would be enough to get a triple A game or two every year with money left over for beer and pretzels.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on September 21, 2022, 06:44:42 PM
$1000 on a game that is still in alpha and may never see the light of day in anything like what has been promised.  I guess if you look at it as a little over $100 per year it's not so bad.  But is there enough gameplay to make it worth even that?  That would be enough to get a triple A game or two every year with money left over for beer and pretzels.

Yes. There is absolutely enough content to make it worth that...you should try it before you knock it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 21, 2022, 07:43:14 PM

Yes. There is absolutely enough content to make it worth that...you should try it before you knock it.
Good point Jar. Usually I would not agree with the "try it before you knock it" trope. But when it comes to star citizen they have so many free weekends where people can try it and form a well informed opinion.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on September 21, 2022, 08:16:38 PM

Good point Jar. Usually I would not agree with the "try it before you knock it" trope. But when it comes to star citizen they have so many free weekends where people can try it and form a well informed opinion.

That, and he already has a starter package. Use it!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

Like I've said many times, star citizen has redefined game development.  People pay / pledge and play as the game is being built.  It's like when people couldn't wrap their heads around digital media vs owning a physical disc, now digital is the norm.

I've accepted the star citizen model, as it's not much different than dcs, I'm quiet used to it.  And like DCS, this is a never-ending franchise they will just keep adding and building.  5 years from now we may get to beta and then the engine gets rebuilt for Vulcan....This thing will never be done in the linear way of thinking and I'm good with that, I'll be playing away and enjoying every minute of it.

As far as the price, Jar is not far off.  If you tally all the planes i've bought in dcs or all the worthless junk I buy off steam, 1000 bucks for 8 years of star citizen gameplay isn't that insane, It's just relative to tastes. 

The press Star Citizen gets with every monetary milestone cracks me up, it reminds me of all the haterade of the F35 project.....OH, the travisty....the most expensive weapon procurement in history.....does it even fly....
The headlines would just crack me up, and now the F35 is out in the world, do some research from the pilots who fly it....they say it is absolutely worth every penny.

Geezer

I wasn't knocking the game which is why I asked about gameplay as a question.  Sorry it came across that way.  It just seems to me for $500M+ there should be about 5 fully developed games by now instead of one game still in alpha.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Yskonyn

Quote from: Skoop on September 21, 2022, 11:25:39 PMdo some research from the pilots who fly it....they say it is absolutely worth every penny.

Lol! That's an odd comparison. Of course the pilots say that! They fly the most shiny toy in the arsenal and it doesnt cost them a penny!
My company is changing over from 737NG to A321neo's. I think its cool to fly the new kid on the block with the size of a 757. New cockpit philosophy, new challenges to overcome in training. Morale boosting stuff for me personally, but I don't have to pay for the crates. If I did need to I would surely lament the absurd costs of swapping a whole fleet of perfectly usable aircraft for new shiny toys.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Skoop

Yeah, you should read more about the F35, it's more than just the shinney new toy.  The Marines were the first to get them, then showed up to red flag and set kill records.  Air forces tactics have changed in a sense that the SA is so good in the F35, they almost seem like forward awacs directing the battle as much as killing stuff.

Yskonyn

Well, you make assumptions about my knowledge of the actual plane. It was not the point of my post at all, but I digress. Maybe I worded it awkwardly. Maybe I stepped on your manly appendices.
At any rate I was having an honest laugh about it. Funny comparison was all.  :nerd:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bobarossa

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 23, 2022, 01:58:13 PM
Maybe I stepped on your manly appendices.
I love spellcheck!  My brain is having trouble picturing this (which I would never have tried without spellcheck).

Yskonyn

Lan gauge, languge, lan.. using words is fun!  ;D :D

Jarhead0331

I'm just happy to see Yskonyn :bd:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

9 minutes of leaked SQ42 footage...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

That large space battle at the end looked really cool. 

Don't quote me on this as I really don't pay much attention to the SQ42 stuff, but I always envisioned it as the way the sp campaign works in the division.  You run through it before going into the open world.  Supposedly completing SQ42 unlocks the ability to acquire the F8 Lightning , which is supposed to be the meta of fighter size combat ships.  The F8 lighting is not released yet and I wonder if we won't see it until the SQ42 package is ready.  Just saw somewhere that it might be 2 more years before SQ42 content is released.