Main Menu

Solium Infernum

Started by Huw the Poo, May 05, 2012, 07:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

I'm making the logical assumption that a collection of such fine fellows as yourselves already own this wondrous piece of gaming.  Shall we have at it?

bob48

I'll have to google it - it means nowt to me I have to admit  :-[
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Huw the Poo

It's an absolutely marvellous game.  It's basically a boardgame in computer form and it has tons of depth.  The basic setting is you're the leader of one of the major houses of Hell, and the throne has been vacated.  The aim is to take the throne by any means, and it always involves lots of deviousness and the general sinking of knives into backs.  Played with a good group, it can be an incredibly fun game.  It's PBEM.

Website here with demo available.

bob48

Ta, Huw, I'm having a look at it now.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

I believe there are a number of guys who own it and play it. For a while some guys had a nice multiplayer game going. Not sure where that went.

I tried it and liked the concept but didn't invest a lot of time to get heavily invested in it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Huw the Poo

I'm hardly an expert myself, mind.  It would be great to get a game going here if there's enough interest. :)

spelk

I think the trouble with the game in a PBEM situation is that it just takes so long to play it out. If you have 6 people involved, the turn time and involvement starts to pile up. It can go on for quite a number of turns. I've been in two PBEM's and the enthusiasm for it amongst the participants usually falls off after a week or two. Unless you can organise a blitzing session I guess.

Nefaro

Yeah, I've avoided long PBEM situations.  Ones like an SI pbem, with six players, just takes forever and there will be inevitable drops. 

I got SI for the single-player, although the AI isn't terribly good.  The latest updates improved that somewhat, however, so it can be amusing if you artificially gimp yourself in some way(s).

Toonces

The game concept is brilliant.  I have only played it SP.  Unfortunately, I hate to say it but the AI isn't that great. I lost my first game but have won every game since and I'm a mediocre wargamer at best.

I haven't tried gimping myself- that's a good idea.  Maybe I'll revisit this game in the near future.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Huw the Poo

Ah well, it was just a thought.  If you guys ever change your minds and decide to have a go, I'll be waiting. :)

Ubercat

I don't recall a big drop off in enthusiasm in the PBEM game of SI I was involved in a year or two ago. I don't think we had more than 4 players, though.

Heck, I've been in 20+ player PBEM games of Dominion 3 and don't remember the enthusiasm waning.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

joram

It's baaaack.  Well almost.  I remember all the buzz here and elsewhere.  Vic was an amazing developer even though he only did a few.  Hope they do this justice.

https://kotaku.com/solium-infernum-league-of-geeks-grand-strategy-pc-steam-1849571511

Jarhead0331

That is quite the cinematic trailer... :notworthy:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1893810/Solium_Infernum/

Say, didn't his earlier game also get a modern upgrade? Armageddon Empires? Oh, yeah! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1576720/Armageddon_Empires/

Okay, not really upgraded, just capable of being run on modern systems through Steam.

....I feel like those two games were connected by devs or publishers or something once upon a time? I owned the originals, though I only ever played Solium five or six times.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!