Main Menu

Orcs Must Die 2!

Started by LongBlade, August 09, 2012, 03:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Orcs Must Die 2 has just been released.

Downloading now - I'm hoping that the minimum specs will run on this rig...
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Tpek

It has been released weeks ago.
You need to check Gamersgate and Steam more often LB :P

meadbelly

I can see the title of the few sequels:

Trolls Must Die, As Well, 

Possibly Now Some Goblins,

(and finally)

Aw Heck, Lets Kill Some Gnomes While We're At It.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: meadbelly on August 09, 2012, 08:07:06 PM
I can see the title of the few sequels:

Trolls Must Die, As Well, 

Possibly Now Some Goblins,

(and finally)

Aw Heck, Lets Kill Some Gnomes While We're At It.

;D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Nefaro

Another Tower Defense?  :-\

Fetrik

I think one of the main improvements in this release is co-op.

LongBlade

Quote from: Tpek on August 09, 2012, 06:21:41 PM
It has been released weeks ago.
You need to check Gamersgate and Steam more often LB :P

I guess so :/

I had Steam on my other laptop but never noticed it was available (I had pre-purchased the game to be able to play it on day 1 release). Sorry - I just saw it and thought it just came out.

Nefaro

So what is the draw to this series?  What's fun about it?

From what I understand you team up, stand around hacking away at repeated waves of enemies, and then do it over again.  Is there phat lootz or some carrot-on-a-stick or something? 

I guess I'm more of an Explorer type so hanging around in one spot and receiving waves of monsters doesn't look that attractive to me.  But I also wonder if there's some part I don't know about that may change my mind.

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on August 10, 2012, 03:21:56 PM

From what I understand you team up, stand around hacking away at repeated waves of enemies, and then do it over again.  Is there phat lootz or some carrot-on-a-stick or something? 

I guess I'm more of an Explorer type so hanging around in one spot and receiving waves of monsters doesn't look that attractive to me.  But I also wonder if there's some part I don't know about that may change my mind.

How can I describe it? It's fun. It's a lightweight game whose object is to kill nearly endless waves of orcs in a creative manner. This isn't heavy lifting with uber strategy on the Eastern Front. It's just a mindless, enjoyable way to spend some time. Not sure if there's a demo, but if there is I'd recommend trying it out.

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on August 10, 2012, 07:11:57 PM

How can I describe it? It's fun. It's a lightweight game whose object is to kill nearly endless waves of orcs in a creative manner. This isn't heavy lifting with uber strategy on the Eastern Front. It's just a mindless, enjoyable way to spend some time. Not sure if there's a demo, but if there is I'd recommend trying it out.

Okay.  Thanks for the brief, LB. 

I believe there's a demo for the first one so I should probably try that out to get an idea.  I suppose that if there's a nice variety of useable items and abilities, along with easy-to-begin multiplayer matching, then I may enjoy it.  ;D

Isn't there another cartoonish-RPG one like this that's strictly multi-player or something?  I get the two mixed up, and don't know the differences.

LongBlade

I don't think Orc 1 has multiplayer, but Orcs 2 does have something. I fired it up, but I think I only have one Steam friend who owns the game and he wasn't online.

2 offers some new toys and such but seems to be great-more-of-the-same as far as that goes, though it does advance the storyline (which is minor).

FarAway Sooner

Dungeon Defenders is another that had co-op from the get-go.  In both games, you lay out your tower defenses on the map, then run around shooting bad guys and (re)building towers as you need to.

Solitaire play for those tower defense titles is light-hearted, but there are enough maps that it can still be fun.  Where it really shines is co-op.  Couple that with the loot drops and different character classes as you go through different maps, and it's a fun MP game, especially with friends.

Haven't played OMD, but I liked Dungeon Defenders.  Haven't had time to play it too much, but as a discount title, it's a definite winner.

Nefaro

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 11, 2012, 06:18:41 PM
Dungeon Defenders is another that had co-op from the get-go.  In both games, you lay out your tower defenses on the map, then run around shooting bad guys and (re)building towers as you need to.

Solitaire play for those tower defense titles is light-hearted, but there are enough maps that it can still be fun.  Where it really shines is co-op.  Couple that with the loot drops and different character classes as you go through different maps, and it's a fun MP game, especially with friends.

Haven't played OMD, but I liked Dungeon Defenders.  Haven't had time to play it too much, but as a discount title, it's a definite winner.

Ah!  That's the other one I was thinking of, which was more multiplayer oriented.

MikeGER

Quote from: Nefaro on August 10, 2012, 03:21:56 PM

i have only the old one.
its puzzle solving in a creative way with limited resources, in addition to some 'comic' stress relieve  ....or the other way around, depending on your mood and so the way you approach a level.

i don't have #2 yet because, its still sunny summer here,,, and i have a shitload of new stuff i already bought the last month on my HD ... and recently also one (TAL) on a board gaming table.

well, but co-op fun with LongBlade is very tempting....   8)  (ohhh... those old COD4 WG server days  :) )