Main Menu

Da Friday thread!

Started by Toonces, August 10, 2012, 01:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Toonces on August 11, 2012, 08:55:56 PM
I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I think I'm enjoying it.

Heh.  Pretty much sums up my experience with any Paradox grand strategy game. :)

undercovergeek

you need a matrilineal marriage Toonces - where the child will be of your line and not of the husbands

Do you have a claim on the other Icelandic areas?

Toonces

Iceland is divided into two areas- east and west.  The East guy (me) is the Duke of the Duchy of Iceland, and the guy to the west is my vassal.  Now I was under the impression that if I was the Duke and the other guy was the vassal then there was no reason for me to "own" the west Iceland area.  But I'm still figuring the game out so I started a war to claim it but couldn't get enough troops to close the deal.  After 10 years we both had enough and declared white peace.

Now, I've sent my chancellor over there to fabricate a claim but I can't remember how to declare war after you fabricate a claim.  Iceland doesn't have one of those dashed lines around it so I think that means it's still divided?

Finally, I'm having trouble finding men to accept matrilineal marriages.  At any rate, I changed the laws and dodged that bullet for now, but that really pissed of Norway and Sweden, who had claims to Iceland after my character kicked the bucket.

Maybe I should post up my save file so you can look at it and tell me what's going on!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

undercovergeek

I don't mind that at all toonces.... If you click on the bit that's not yours and declare war it will tell you what you terms the war will be on - de jure or claim or holy war

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on August 12, 2012, 04:08:24 PM
Now, I've sent my chancellor over there to fabricate a claim but I can't remember how to declare war after you fabricate a claim.  Iceland doesn't have one of those dashed lines around it so I think that means it's still divided?

Once you get a claim on it, you need to bring up the Diplomacy page for that land's current ruler.  You can do that by clicking on the county, and then clicking on the ruler's pic or coat of arms.  On that ruler's window, you find the diplo option for Declare War.  Then it will often go to another screen giving you options for the reason you're declaring war, and that shows the win/lose conditions and what the spoils of those outcomes will be so you'll have to choose one.  Choose the 'Claim' casus belli there as it's likely the one you want since a win will grant you full ownership of the county in question.

QuoteFinally, I'm having trouble finding men to accept matrilineal marriages.  At any rate, I changed the laws and dodged that bullet for now, but that really pissed of Norway and Sweden, who had claims to Iceland after my character kicked the bucket.

All marriage propositions have some + and - factors that are shown when you are looking to make one (along with other types of diplo deals).  Check the tooltips on each of those + or - lines to get an idea of why you're being turned down.  I'm pretty sure that demanding a Matrilineal marriage to your queen gives a BIG negative bonus to most anyone who owns land themself, or is high-up in line of succession there.  It makes the matrilineal option rightfully difficult to cut with most nobility.  So you'll probably have to make that deal with some fifth child or lowly courtesan to get it to fly.   As I said, check those + and - things .. since the AI will only accept a proposal if the pluses outnumber the minuses, and those will give you a better idea of how to cozy up to them for similar future proposals in all diplo actions that  use them.

;)

edit:  It sounds as if you've taken to the throat-cutting like a duck to water, judging by your attempt to kill off the new hubby after finding the marriage a disadvantage.  ;D ;D  Changing succession laws was a great game-saver, too, although that is certainly what caused a lot of the family members to go apeshit, too.

Toonces

Ok, so it's Sunday 11am.  My wife has a headache and just went upstairs to take a nap, my neighbor is taking the daughter to the pool with her daughter, my son is over his friend's house, I have half a leftover Boston's pizza, a case of beer (half Blue Moon Belgian Wheat, half Longboard Lager Wailua Wheat), the surf is flat, and my Skyrim character is ready to leave Breezehome and start the final vampire boss quest....

Does life get any better than this?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

undercovergeek

One downside of the fabricated claim is the cost.. It think its usually 100 gold and 100 prestige but you'll get that back if you win

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Toonces on August 12, 2012, 04:21:19 PM
Ok, so it's Sunday 11am.  My wife has a headache and just went upstairs to take a nap, my neighbor is taking the daughter to the pool with her daughter, my son is over his friend's house, I have half a leftover Boston's pizza, a case of beer (half Blue Moon Belgian Wheat, half Longboard Lager Wailua Wheat), the surf is flat, and my Skyrim character is ready to leave Breezehome and start the final vampire boss quest....

Does life get any better than this?

That my friend is what it is all about!  Enjoy, those moments don't come along that often.  :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Barthheart on August 11, 2012, 06:08:22 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 10, 2012, 11:26:32 PM
Was hoping to break in the Sergeants Miniatures Game...but opened up the base game from my lot purchase to find no Story Deck. So that's pretty much a pretty looking paperweight until the replacement deck gets here from Lost Battalion.

I still need to mess around with Okko and try it out, so that will likely be my board game for the weekend.

On the computer front, I may start making my way through my strategy game backlog. Not sure what that will specifically entail yet, though.

I'm really interested in what you think of this minis game. Looks good and easy to get into but very expensive. Please give us a mini review (pun intended) when you are finally able to give it a spin.

Raining like the proverbial 40 days and 40 nights here for the last couple days and for the next few so no outdoor chores (yeah!).

So more CiV G&K, got Kerbal Space demo to take for a spin, U-Boat Leader on the table....

Yeah, I did a TON of research in to it before buying because of the price. I'll post some impressions once I get a chance to play it a time or two.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 12, 2012, 06:12:02 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 11, 2012, 06:08:22 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 10, 2012, 11:26:32 PM
Was hoping to break in the Sergeants Miniatures Game...but opened up the base game from my lot purchase to find no Story Deck. So that's pretty much a pretty looking paperweight until the replacement deck gets here from Lost Battalion.

I still need to mess around with Okko and try it out, so that will likely be my board game for the weekend.

On the computer front, I may start making my way through my strategy game backlog. Not sure what that will specifically entail yet, though.

I'm really interested in what you think of this minis game. Looks good and easy to get into but very expensive. Please give us a mini review (pun intended) when you are finally able to give it a spin.

Raining like the proverbial 40 days and 40 nights here for the last couple days and for the next few so no outdoor chores (yeah!).

So more CiV G&K, got Kerbal Space demo to take for a spin, U-Boat Leader on the table....

Yeah, I did a TON of research in to it before buying because of the price. I'll post some impressions once I get a chance to play it a time or two.

Looking forward to what you think of the game.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MengJiao

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 10, 2012, 05:59:10 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 10, 2012, 02:31:17 PM
Quote from: Toonces on August 10, 2012, 01:42:06 PM
Also, just to be clear, I consider CK2 a wargame, so I'm still cool.

Same as last weekend: 

Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue --

I'm one month in on a Russian Offensive starting on May 12, 1942.  German 6th and 2nd Armies mostly wiped out, but even on easy the AI is tough to overwhelm.  On the other hand ther Germans have lost almost 200,000 men and they seem to be coming apart all across the front while STAVKA is getting better at Command and Control and pumping divisions, fuel and supplies into the fronts faster and faster.  On the other hand, the Germans took all of the Crimea, releasing more forces, and with a smaller army they are probably burning less fuel so things are still up in the air.

BUT in other news the Dutch are attacking in Fontenoy and doing miraculously well thanks to miraculous initiative and artillery rolls and Van Yssel is about to open up with the main Dutch battery so I may be distracted from finishing off the Wehrmach by Waldeck's assault on Antoing and Fontenoy.

You'll have to fill me in on the power alignments in your game. Are the Dutch an Axis Minor attacking France? Are they an unconquered Allied Minor liberating occupied France? Is this a 'What If?' variant or did your game play out to this particular state from a historical start?

As to my Friday- I'll be lucky to get any gaming in. I might try to re-start my ES: Oblivion game just before I ended up on the Shivering Isles (way too early in the game since I didn't know where I was going and I have most of the of main game to play).

Sorry.  I was very unclear.  Fontenoy is a boardgame.  The distraction would be due to my playing the boardgame and not playing Case Blue.  As it happened the Dutch onslaught isn't as impressive as expected other than one lucky shot that rendered about 100 of the Regiment of Provence hors-de-combat.

In case Blue -- I started with the worst possible situation for the Axis : easy Axis AI, free set-up May 12 start and the results have been interesting.  The AI is defending the Dneipr line with KGs and Roumanian Security Police while most of the Axis forces seem to be in pockets near the Don.  Axis losses are about 300,000 and probably are about to go up really fast to about 500,000 as the big pockets get processed.  Russian losses are about 250,000 and about to go up to about 300,000 maybe before there are no Axis forces left on the map in a month or two.