SINS OF A SOLAR EMPIRE 2

Started by CaptainKoloth, September 15, 2022, 03:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainKoloth

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH

https://youtu.be/d_KcI61tdgI

(If you haven't played it- 1 is the best, most moddable space combat/RTS game ever made and still holds up today)

Jarhead0331

Wow. That is HUGE news. I suspect some will be disappointed that it appears to be Epic exclusive...at least initially.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CaptainKoloth

Honestly I've never had any understanding at all of this irrational hatred people have for the Epic store. It's a platform selling Windows games exactly like Steam. Steam also is a form of DRM. Countless games are exclusive on Steam and nowhere else, as they are for Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo. It's OK to hate just one of those distribution systems and no others, I guess, but then don't expect to see the games you want developed actually get funded and made. I find this attitude incomprehensible.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on September 15, 2022, 06:36:29 PM
Honestly I've never had any understanding at all of this irrational hatred people have for the Epic store. It's a platform selling Windows games exactly like Steam. Steam also is a form of DRM. Countless games are exclusive on Steam and nowhere else, as they are for Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo. It's OK to hate just one of those distribution systems and no others, I guess, but then don't expect to see the games you want developed actually get funded and made. I find this attitude incomprehensible.

I think it probably stems from the initial roll-out where there was some bad press about malicious behavior of the platform with respect to spyware or data harvesting. I'm not sure if any of this is true or not, and although I much prefer Steam to Epic as a digital library management system, I'm full in on Epic and have no problem using it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

CaptainKoloth

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I prefer Steam, but have no issue with Epic. There's this weird extremely vocal contingent in the Redditverse however that seems to think Epic is basically directly controlled by Satan and they would rather not have a game even exist than have it be on Epic. I don't get it. :shrug:

devoncop

I instinctively distrust Chinese owned tech companies ( Huawei being banned from supplying telecoms infrastructure by multple Western countries being a good example of why) so I will stick to Canadian owned Steam thanks, but each to ther own.

On the other hand, and more to the point this is a very welcome sequel providing it is done well. Big shoes to fill !
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Anguille

Finally  :notworthy:

And the price is really nice.

I mostly hope to see improvements on the strategy map.

It seems logic that it's an Epic exclusive as it's a Stardock product (same procedure as GalCiv3)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Anguille on September 16, 2022, 01:34:25 AM

It seems logic that it's an Epic exclusive as it's a Stardock product (same procedure as GalCiv3)

I think you mean GalCiv IV.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: devoncop on September 16, 2022, 01:14:15 AM
I instinctively distrust Chinese owned tech companies ( Huawei being banned from supplying telecoms infrastructure by multple Western countries being a good example of why) so I will stick to Canadian owned Steam thanks, but each to ther own.

On the other hand, and more to the point this is a very welcome sequel providing it is done well. Big shoes to fill !

As far as I know, Epic Games is an American company based out of North Carolina and owned by an American named Tim Sweeney. I think the "Chinese" connection was part of the initial bad press and misinformation that circulated when the epic games store was first rolled out. It doesn't seem like there is any actual Chinese connection.

Edit: It appears that the Chinese company Tencent may have a minority stake in the company, but it is certainly based in the US and controlled by an American.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 15, 2022, 07:05:58 PM
.....I'm full in on Epic and have no problem using it.

I'm happy to see Epic thrive. Steam needs some good competition to keep it honest. A Steam monopoly would be very bad for PC gaming in the long run.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 16, 2022, 04:11:26 AM
Quote from: Anguille on September 16, 2022, 01:34:25 AM

I think you mean GalCiv IV.
Yes indeed....my bad

Jarhead0331

^Meh...at this point, who is even counting anyway? lol

Speaking of, did you try out GCIV? Thoughts?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 16, 2022, 09:19:32 AM
^Meh...at this point, who is even counting anyway? lol

Speaking of, did you try out GCIV? Thoughts?
Not yet, i have so many games library that are on my ToDo list...but i keep an eye on it. It's just i haven't very much into GalCiv after the first one (which i liked). Couldn't really get into the second nor the third one.

Geezer

Hopefully by the time it gets to Steam they will have all the bugs fixed.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Destraex

I should be excited about this, but I can't help thinking that the devs were on the fence about doing sins2 until they realised they could finance the game development with Epic money. I wonder how enthusiastic the devs really are about doing Sins2? Will this simply be a drop and run project, a normal 9-5 kinda deal? Is it a bandwagon trend.
At least we are getting sins right? Well so far apart from the orbit mechanics for planetary objects which were tried and discounted as too complicated for the original sins, I cannot really see anything new. The races are the same, multithreading though is new, as is the "claim" that their will be more 4x elements. Again here I get the impression that what the devs mean here is that they will take 4x elements from their "experiments" with the last Rebellion DLCs.
With Nebulous Fleet Command and Homeworld3 almost upon us I can certainly afford to wait for sins2 to prove itself.
I myself am not an Epic fan. But am amost certain to pickup sins2 if it reaches steam. Chivalry2 is a good example of problems you can have, Epic players still cannot friend Steam players to group up in game before searching for a match.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"