No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20160810_02419934

Game van het jaar dankzij gestolen Belgische 'superformule'   

D-Day voor gamers. No Man's Sky, een revolutionair spel dat wondere werelden creëert, is eindelijk op de markt. Maar de game zou niet bestaan zonder de zogenoemde "Superformule", een uitvinding van de Belgische professor Johan Gielis. "Natuurlijk schenkt dit voldoening. Maar ik heb een patent op die formule, dus we moeten toch eens praten met de makers.

Maar Hello Games heeft Gielis vooraf niet gecontacteerd, en gebruikte de formule zonder toestemming. Daarop schoot Genicap, het bedrijfje dat het patentrecht beschermt, in actie.

Google Translation :

Game of the year thanks stolen Belgian 'super formula '

D-Day for gamers. No Man's Sky, a revolutionary game that creates wonderful worlds, is finally on the market. But the game would not exist without the so-called "Super Formula", an invention of the Belgian Professor Johan Gielis. "Of course this gives satisfaction. But I have a patent on that formula, so we must have a talk with the creators.

But Gielis has not been contacted in advance and Hello Games used the formula without permission. Then Genicap, the company that protects the patent came into action.

If this turns out to be true my fellow countryman could see some money flowing his way ...

MikeGER

Quote from: glen55 on August 10, 2016, 08:34:20 PM
Is this really true, that you find tech levels mixed together randomly on planets? I mean, I can certainly see how other species would not advance everything at the same pace that we do, so some things would be ahead, some behind, but you do need certain predicates for certain results, so this would wear thin extremely rapidly if it's nonsensical like this.

first, i have to admit  i got my 'knowledge' only from watching half a dozen different Lets play's ...this will change tomorrow eve;)

...it was more about mocking that what you see is marvelous in an artistic way ...but you should not try to (scientific afterthought) 'analyse' what you just saw on the screen.
especially the about always 3 kind of animal types and 5 kind of plants on a given planet look always surprising composed of shuffled parts like a SiFi-novelist imagined Chernobyl-afterlife fauna on LSD but it makes no further sense.
i never saw so far (hordes of) animals 'grazing' near their favorite plants and those plants limited to different climatic zones, or single predators on the prowl for prey  ...its more like strangely distorted body parts and rainbow colored forms of "stray cats" with stray cat behavior just stray

...concerning the tech: from the vids i saw all kind of tech seems to be widespread over the area those Lets-players visited and every planet was a "debris field" of objects (boxes) to suddenly find in addition to several planetary out posts, a space station and drifting freighter(?)-ships  ... well those Lets Players only visited about 2 or 3 planets max so maybe this is just the developers 'starting bonus' to the stranded player so he gets a perfect chance to move out of his first solar system.

Tpek

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 11, 2016, 02:51:15 AM
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20160810_02419934

Game van het jaar dankzij gestolen Belgische 'superformule'   

D-Day voor gamers. No Man's Sky, een revolutionair spel dat wondere werelden creëert, is eindelijk op de markt. Maar de game zou niet bestaan zonder de zogenoemde "Superformule", een uitvinding van de Belgische professor Johan Gielis. "Natuurlijk schenkt dit voldoening. Maar ik heb een patent op die formule, dus we moeten toch eens praten met de makers.

Maar Hello Games heeft Gielis vooraf niet gecontacteerd, en gebruikte de formule zonder toestemming. Daarop schoot Genicap, het bedrijfje dat het patentrecht beschermt, in actie.

Google Translation :

Game of the year thanks stolen Belgian 'super formula '

D-Day for gamers. No Man's Sky, a revolutionary game that creates wonderful worlds, is finally on the market. But the game would not exist without the so-called "Super Formula", an invention of the Belgian Professor Johan Gielis. "Of course this gives satisfaction. But I have a patent on that formula, so we must have a talk with the creators.

But Gielis has not been contacted in advance and Hello Games used the formula without permission. Then Genicap, the company that protects the patent came into action.

If this turns out to be true my fellow countryman could see some money flowing his way ...

Here's Wikipedia's info on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Man%27s_Sky#Intellectual_property_issues

I do wonder if it will turn out they used Gielis's Superformula, and what the implications will be on this already-too-controversial game.

undercovergeek

There's page and pages and discussions and discussions on the game every day at RPS and this came up a few weeks ago - iirc it turned out they weren't using the formula just something like it, something the formula creators didn't seem bothered about until Sony started backing the game (!)

The first review trashes the game but the guys site is down after been attacked by fanboys it would appear

I hope it does well but for some reason there's so much toxicity about the game

ghostryder

The art just puts me off. Seems like a 3d inverted Spore conglamuration of chaos. Running around on these worlds to collect a mix match of loot --in a world that has no meaningful logic....visually or in practical terms- seems like open world arcade gamey nonsense. If I land on an alien world with sentient life--logic, evolution and just plain common sense --one would expect the animals to fit the habitate they exist in and have evolved in a way to survive in it. There would be some reation to your presense and you traveling across the galaxy you'd be interested in doing a lot more than sightsee and gather random loot.  65 years ago when we landed on the moon-barren and lifeless- the routine of those men was 100x more involved with 100x more goals.

Elite Dangerous, while not offering up anything more to planet landing, at least sells in the Art/sound department that allows the player's imagination to fill in the holes with hopes of logical added features in the future. Both games suffer from hollow Tofu- and i'm a meat eater so I won't sit at either table of either- and if this get's other player's cup of dreams filled as they wished then I'm glad for you-- but it's just not appealing in any sense of the way for my likes.

panzerde

Not having played it yet myself I don't feel qualified to have any opinion of the game. However, I did run across a Youtube video by Scott Manley where he recommended SpaceEngine as a simulation for people that are interested in the explore part of things. I gave it a try and really enjoyed jumping all over the galaxy (and beyond!) for a couple of hours last night.

The sim itself is free, and still very much in development. However, it is very scientifically accurate, lets you explore both by just jumping around between objects and by flying ships, and does some nifty procedural environment generation for star systems that are theoretically possible but haven't been observed directly by astronomers yet. With the addition of the HD texture packs, space, stars, and planets are very photorealistic.

So, if you're looking for something to tide you over until No Man's Sky is released on PC or things like the artwork put you off, but you in the mood for open universe exploration, SpaceEngine provides some pretty cool tools for doing that.

Fair warning - there's no "game" there at this point. This is really an engine/sim. Fun to chill and play around jumping between interesting objects, but there's no win condition or objectives of aliens or anything like that. Relaxing after work with a whisky and the built in ambient music, though.

http://en.spaceengine.org/
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Rayfer

PZ...clicked on the link and enjoyed a 4 minute, visually stunning trailer. Not sure what the game would be like but I'm going to look into it more.  Thanks for posting.

panzerde

Quote from: Rayfer on August 11, 2016, 05:55:57 PM
PZ...clicked on the link and enjoyed a 4 minute, visually stunning trailer. Not sure what the game would be like but I'm going to look into it more.  Thanks for posting.

Sure thing Rayfer! I think you'll enjoy it. Be sure to check out the amazing black hole at Cygnus X-1!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Rayfer

Game looks intriguing but I just can't afford it at that price.  Been watching vids on youtube and reading initial impression reviews. They are all over the board, from awesome to soulless and repetitive.  Can't wait to read what you guys think of it.

steve58

While I know to take most Steam reviews/reviewers with a large grain of salt, but still....
OVERALL:   Mostly Negative (4,270 reviews)
Release Date: Aug 12, 2016

Most complaints seem to be performance-based, so not even gonna consider it on my old rig.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

WYBaugh

Quote from: MetalDog on August 11, 2016, 08:52:17 PM

Too funny, I'm sitting here at work listening to Book 1.  You are da man MetalDog!!

sandman2575

Quote from: steve58 on August 12, 2016, 02:18:07 PM
While I know to take most Steam reviews/reviewers with a large grain of salt, but still....
OVERALL:   Mostly Negative (4,270 reviews)
Release Date: Aug 12, 2016

Most complaints seem to be performance-based, so not even gonna consider it on my old rig.

Yikes.  I guess the question of "what to buy: PC or console version?" has been answered...  Hope they get some patches out quick to fix some of this.

steve58

Wow, review count jumped over 1000 in 30+ minutes.  Now at 5476.

Positive (1,843) Negative (3,633)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

sandman2575

Sooo... is anyone actually playing it on PC?  Would love to hear some reassurance that the Steam hysteria about "unplayable!!! 5FPS on Titan-X SLI!!!" is the usual Steam hysteria...