What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: mirth on October 02, 2016, 11:21:25 AM
Finished Beevor's Ardennes book a week or so ago. Now splitting time between his Crete and Spanish Civil War books.

I'm reading Crete right now as well.

bob48

Its definitely on my 'to buy' list.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 02, 2016, 01:56:33 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 02, 2016, 11:21:25 AM
Finished Beevor's Ardennes book a week or so ago. Now splitting time between his Crete and Spanish Civil War books.

I'm reading Crete right now as well.

So friggin good. His books are history crack.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Just started, "Russia's Last Gasp" the last book of Prit Buttar's trilogy of WWI's Eastern Front. Be waiting on this one as the other two were... ex-cellent.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Please post what you think!

About to start Outcast (graphic novel) by the guy who wrote The Walking Dead graphic novels.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I finished "Making Money" by Pratchett.  It is a shame he was never given a Hugo.  But he recused himself for "Going Postal" which is my favorite of the 10 or so books I've read in the series.  Making Money was good, but not as good as Going Postal which featured the same major character.

Reread "Tinker" by Wen Spencer.  Unfortunately had to repurchase because my 13 year old paperback made my allergies explode.  I reread because I was halfway through "Wood Sprites" and wanted to refresh my memory of the world.  Tinker is good, but too much romance for me.  I then deleted "Wood Sprites" by the same author that I was half way through because it has not been as good as Tinker and life is short.

I find a sharp dividing line in my SF reading.  If the story becomes too much about romantic relationships - the book becomes marginal even if very well written.  Tinker is a very interesting concept but went way too much into relationships.

I'm 50% through Mr. Lincoln's Army according to Mr. Kindle.  I think I read it 35 years ago or so.  It is good, but you just want to reach through the pages and slap McClellan for being such a doofus about Confederate troop strength.  I still think Lee was a great general, but he sure had a leg up on the competition before he had to face Grant.  McClellan and Pope so outnumbered the Army of Northern Virginia and they would not put their entire army (or even 80% of it) into action.  If Lee had taken the command of the Army of the Potomac as Winfield Scott wished him to do - he would have taken Richmond like a hot knife through butter within 24 months of the start of the war.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Oops - Misread Mr. Kindle.  I finished Mr. Lincolns Army last night.  The other 45% of the book were references and excerpts from the next two books as an enticement to buy.

Gusington

Thanks Slash. Read Outcast in one night while drunk. It was ok...definitely not on par with The Walking Dead. Started The Fisherman by John Langan. Very good, 25 pages in. Vivid, engaging writing. I can feel that the creepy vibe on this one is set to go way up.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Anyone hear anything about this
https://www.amazon.com/Myth-Reality-German-Warfare-Operational/dp/0813168376/ref

Always interested in serious treatments on German Operational work.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I usually like or love First Things, but I'm reading that article by Peter Hitchens (brother if I recall correctly to the late Christopher Hitchens?) and thinking... um... yeah, this argument only needs a few topical switches to be an apologetic for the Lebensraum policy that arrived at those anti-tank teeth you noticed within sight of Ivan the Great's bell tower, Hitch.  ::)

The Russian culture (somewhat distinct from the Soviet culture) can be great, and also the Russian people, but that doesn't make Putin less problematically dangerous to other nations and to his own.

Also, someone who thinks there's no good excuse for the existence of the FBI, is so dangerously, wildly naive that, to slightly paraphrase one of his fellow countrymen, "After a man has said that, why need one attend to anything else he says about any political situation in the world?"

Pretty good article otherwise.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pinetree

I'm currently up to book 5 of the First Law series, The Heroes. Damn, what a book. I really enjoyed the trilogy and then the first standalone, Best Served Cold, but this is something else. It's basically the story of a single battle over 3 days and wow, brilliant characters and brilliant storytelling.  Minor spoiler ahead:

The chapter on the fighting of the first day is amazing, you start by following a character who gets killed and then you follow his killer, then he is killed and so forth until the climax.

END spoiler: It's a very brutal story but also can be very funny. Fantastic read.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

undercovergeek

Quote from: Pinetree on October 12, 2016, 03:44:22 AM
I'm currently up to book 5 of the First Law series, The Heroes. Damn, what a book. I really enjoyed the trilogy and then the first standalone, Best Served Cold, but this is something else. It's basically the story of a single battle over 3 days and wow, brilliant characters and brilliant storytelling.  Minor spoiler ahead:

The chapter on the fighting of the first day is amazing, you start by following a character who gets killed and then you follow his killer, then he is killed and so forth until the climax.

END spoiler: It's a very brutal story but also can be very funny. Fantastic read.

Sold - I loved the trilogy

Martok

Have begun reading Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales series; I just finished The Last Kingdom earlier today, and will start in on The Pale Horseman when I wake up tonight.  Technically, I'm actually re-reading the series (the first 6-7 books IIRC), but it's been so long that it's almost like reading them for the firsr time.  And I've not read the last 3-4 books at all, so I'm definitely looking forward to this.  :) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces