"Feeling Old" 2015 Edition

Started by bayonetbrant, January 15, 2015, 02:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Toonces on January 25, 2015, 01:49:31 PM
I was explaining to my kids the other day that when I was a kid the only time we could watch cartoons was on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Yeah! And even then, once 1100 rolled around, it turned to live action crap like Shazam and Isis and Soul Train and local dance party nonsense.

Sunday mornings where I lived didn't have cartoons, though, just religious nutjob programming. I always listed to the radio instead.

BanzaiCat

My son turns 16 today. I don't quite know how to handle that. I always thought he'd be 'my kid' even though he's pretty introverted. I have a REALLY hard time thinking he's going to go off to college in two years. Oh, I imagine he'll be staying with us for at least a few years after high school. But it's difficult to accept. Just the very fact that he's taking online driving training and will be behind the wheel of a car soon enough...it's not that another kid is in the world driving, but that my son, whom I always thought of as a baby or a boy that needs help with everything, is soon enough not going to need that.

My daughter turns 14 two weeks from today. She's 'my baby girl.' But she's grown up fast enough herself and I know she'll be hot on my son's heels.

Not that I'm feeling old, necessarily...just helpless.  :-\

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Ubercat

That sucks, I'm sorry.

Remember Tony Sopranos mother? My MiL is that nasty with her own daughter, just in a vastly more passive aggressive way. Good thing that she doesn't have the connections or money to order a hit.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

BanzaiCat

Thanks.

It does suck but I keep vacillating from the pity party to manning up and getting over it because this kind of shit I'm sure most of you have gone through/are going through and it's nothing different or new.

LongBlade

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 26, 2015, 10:33:02 AM
Thanks.

It does suck but I keep vacillating from the pity party to manning up and getting over it because this kind of shit I'm sure most of you have gone through/are going through and it's nothing different or new.

I come from the Deal With It school.

You grew up and turned out alright. So did the rest of us. It's weird seeing our kids go from babies to adults, but the trick is to get them there with a reasonable set of good values, alive, and healthy. If you've managed to do that you're doing pretty well. The rest is just background noise.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MetalDog

+1

My situation was a bit different.  When I got married, my wife had two kids, age 13 and 10.  My own was just 5 at the time.  So, I watched my step children hit the milestone ages first.  And while it was less intense, because as much as I loved them, they came to me already as people.  Even having that experience, it was difficult when mine hit 16.  Dating and driving and jobs and always out with friends, etc.  But, the kid has a good head on her shoulders.  And knows dad will be there when she calls :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AM
Do young people today have any love for Looney Tunes cartoons?

If the answer is 'no,' I'm going to die a little inside.  :'(
For most of my friends with kids, Looney Tunes is practically required watching for their children.  Fortunately, the children in question rarely have to coerced after the first time.  ;) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

Friday marked 5 years since the BSG final episode.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

...Which I still haven't watched.  :-[ 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

Quote from: Martok on March 22, 2015, 02:50:18 PM
...Which I still haven't watched.  :-[

I watched parts 1 and 2 of the intro 2004 movie last night with my wife. We both watched it a while back but didn't continue on with the series. We decided to watch episode one last night but I didn't realize the DVD called the 2004 movie episode one. We ended up watching it over again anyway and we both still loved it. Now she's demanding we watch the entire series.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Cyrano

It would seem that I'm older than most of y'all, but my son's only 6...nearing 7...I waited a while for the whole kid thing and married, erm, younger...

At Historicon two years ago there was this guy running a WWII Normandy game using 54mm soldiers.  All his vehicles and terrain were to that massive scale.  It was just as cool as it sounds.  I got invited to the game by his son with whom I hit it off in another game where he, I, and one or two others damn near cold-cocked some grey-haired dimwit who was ruining an otherwise perfectly good "Force on Force" session with his incessant rules lawyering, "oh, I wouldn't do that" talk, and general obnoxiousness.  He told me he and his dad had built this real cool set-up over the past four years and this was their last dad-and-son time before he headed off to college in the Fall.  I played the game -- truly cool, if the rules were a bit wonky -- and went out for a beer with the dad and some of the other older guys after I helped them pack it all up and put it away.

I'll never forget it.  You could see how emotionally difficult it was for the father to even look at this terrain set-up (measuring as it did, oh, 25 X 8) and realize that completing it was near synonymous with saying goodbye.

Cruel thing, time...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806