Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.businessinsider.com/top-gear-russia-published-image-of-classified-submarine-2015-1

QuoteTop Gear Russia magazine accidentally published an image of a secret Russian submarine.
The Russian edition of the automobile magazine published a photo of the classified "AC-12 Project," a nuclear deep-water submarine, nicknamed "Losharik" after a children's movie.

This was first reported by the unofficial blog of the Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies and picked up by Slon Media, which reached out to an expert for commentary.

Weapons expert Vasiliy Sichev told Slon that it's extremely likely that this is the secret submarine. He told the site:

"It's impossible to unequivocally say that the picture was really the AC-12, of course, because the project is classified and how the 'Losharik' looks is technically unknown. However, photos which were allegedly of 'Losharik' surfaced in 2007, 2010, and 2011, and they had a lot of similarities with the one in Top Gear."

Russia is in the midst of a serious military buildup. Among other things, the Russian military is upgrading its navy and by 2020 is hoping to add at least 16 new nuclear submarines to its Northern and Pacific fleets.

Here's the whole page from the magazine:

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

French Navy in Toulon

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

is that all of it?   :buck2:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

QuoteRussia is in the midst of a serious military buildup. Among other things, the Russian military is upgrading its navy and by 2020 is hoping to add at least 16 new nuclear submarines to its Northern and Pacific fleets.

they simply dont have the money.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

GDS_Starfury

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

besilarius

January 22, 1944, per "Iowa Class Battleships"
After transiting the Panama Canal on 7 January, the two new battleships reported to Raymond Sruance's Fifth Fleet on 22 January. Although some of the veteran aviators resented the snappy appearance and win-the-war attitude of the battleship sailors, Rear Admiral Frederick Sherman remarked to Capt. McCrea, "Thank goodness you people are here. From here on, I shan't worry about providing my own anti-aircratt coverage". The following is a 20MM antiaircraft mount om USS Iowa in WWII
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

Really tight fit.  (Be careful not to get Star excited.)

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

When the Iowas was refurbed at the Ingalls shipyard, one of the tasks was to rebuild the fuel lines.  The ship had been built to use Black Oil, and needed to be upgraded to Distillate.  Distillate burns cleaner and generally causes less maintenance aches.
Unfortunately, the yard used gaskets made from the wrong material. 
The distillate began disintegrating the gaskets once she went underway.  The engineers had to clean up one heck of a mess and refit the fuel delivery lines with new gaskets.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

LCS Survivabilty.

http://news.usni.org/2015/01/22/opinion-lcs-survivability-questions-linger

Most of what the author says is pretty clear.  The issue comes down to money for an expanded base of larger ships.
Also, one area the USN has always been good at is Damage Control and training.  These are not appreciated.

"With your eyes closed?"

GDS_Starfury

to be fair they arent supposed to act as screening units of a CVBG nor are they supposed to be running around chasing subs.

personally I think the idea of the class as whole is somewhat stupid.

besilarius

The cruiser Santa Fe in Typhoon Cobra.

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) about to be transported back in time to December 6, 1941.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys