All-time baseball list...

Started by bayonetbrant, January 06, 2015, 09:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Haha.  Perhaps.  Actually I thought Raines played only with the White Sox after the Expos.

MetalDog

I knew about Carter, forgot about Raines and vaguely recall the token ring Dawson got.  I refuse to believe 'The Hawk,' ended his career with the Marlins.  Noone that good should be associated with playing for an out fit like that.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

A bit of a bummer our buddy gherig38 didn't get more love for the HoF vote.  At least it's trending upward, and we can hope he gets there in a few years.

Quote from: MetalDog on January 06, 2015, 11:30:57 PMNo one that good should be associated with playing for an out fit like that.
Kevin Brown?  Moises Alou?  Livan Hernandez?  Charles Johnson?  Al Leiter?  Robb Nen?  Edgar Renteria?  None of those guys will make the HoF, but all were pretty damn good at the time.

Oh yeah, and that "Gary Sheffield" guy wasn't half bad, either, and probably should make the HoF.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Marty Ward

I don't think Cy Young, Walter Johnson or Rube Waddell ever won a World Series. Talk about a pretty good starting rotation!
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

bayonetbrant

Johnson won in '24.

Cy Young won a title in 1895 with the Cleveland Spiders, before the World Series existed.

Can't find any evidence of Waddell ever winning a title, though :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

I liked quite a few of the Marlins players of their own merit, I just think the organization is shoddy and bush league.  I should have been clearer.

MetalDog

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on January 07, 2015, 11:29:17 PM
As an aside, a list of the 15 best players not in the Hall:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/15-best-players-not-in-baseball-hall-of-fame/ss-AA7Tygr?ocid=mailsignout#image=15
I saw that list this morning. 

I gotta beef with it, though:  It's one thing to merely include players like Rose, McGwire, & Bonds; they did put up impressive numbers, after all.  However, it's another thing entirely for the list's author to actively agitate for their being inducted into the Hall.  Fuck that guy, and fuck them.  >:( 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

OJsDad

I posted this in the Baseball2015 thread before I saw this one started.

Stephen A Smiths takes on Pete Rose and the HOF and Baseball

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12314114
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.