Feedback on Review of Rebels & Redcoats

Started by bayonetbrant, November 19, 2014, 10:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Michael the Machine has churned out another review for us.  What do you think?

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Wow. I submitted that to you what, 1.5 hours ago?  :D

airboy

Very good review.  I would buy it if I used those operating systems.

I have a couple of suggestions concerning material not included in the review:
a] How much did you pay for it?
b] How does it stack up to similar games on the same operating system?  Ex: Are there a lot of wargames, or wargames of this type available for this operating system - or not?
c] What is your impression of both the "fun factor" and the "value compared to the cost?"

Again.  Good review.  Persuaded me to buy if I had the system.  Had a good feel for the game.

BanzaiCat

Hi airboy! Thanks!

Quote from: airboy
a] How much did you pay for it?

The game is $9.99 in the iTunes App Store. However, we received a code for free for review/analysis purposes.

b] How does it stack up to similar games on the same operating system?  Ex: Are there a lot of wargames, or wargames of this type available for this operating system - or not?

Hunted Cow Studios makes a LOT of games that use this similar system. I did a review for GH on their Ancient Battle: Hannibal game. Pretty much everything they do is very similar in structure and action - move units around on a hex-based map, fire and/or melee (melee with the ancient battle games), capture control points, try to inflict more losses on the enemy than you take with your forces.

That said, the iOS platform does not have a lot of games in this vein. There's some hex wargames out there, but Hunted Cow Studios is very prolific in creating titles. If you like this system, you'll like all their games. You'll just need to find the genre you enjoy most (e.g. Civil War, WWII, Revolutionary War, Ancient Battles, etc.).

c] What is your impression of both the "fun factor" and the "value compared to the cost?"

Well, I received a code for free in order to review a game. However, I have been a customer of Hunted Cow's products previously; I own their Tank Battle: 1944 game and their Civil War: 1863 game, and owned them before I began writing for GH.

Personally, ten bucks for an iOS game is a huge investment for me because I generally view iOS/iPad games as 'lite' types and nothing heavy or serious, not like you can get on PCs. Admittedly I did drop $20 on Phantom Leader for my iPad, but that's the only time I've paid more than $7 I think for any iPad game. For Rebels & Redcoats, I might drop ten dollars on it, as I did enjoy it.

There's not really much cerebral about their titles - pretty straightforward move/fire mechanics and capture point mechanisms. Some I enjoy better than others; I really did like this Rebels & Redcoats game because I think the system they publish is best suited for this genre of wargaming (this includes the Civil War games of theirs, and I think I alluded to something along these lines in the review).

Hope that helps. Any more questions, let me know. :)