Would a capitol change have helped the South in the ACW?

Started by MetalDog, June 29, 2013, 10:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

I don't think that strategy would have worked politically for the south since the states that would have to be sacrificed in a space for time strategy never would have agreed to the plan.  I don't think Virginia would have agreed to be slowly overrun as a strategy for winning the broader war.

GDS_Starfury

its not like Stalin asked how the Ukraine felt about the idea.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MetalDog

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on July 07, 2013, 02:38:06 PM
I don't think that strategy would have worked politically for the south since the states that would have to be sacrificed in a space for time strategy never would have agreed to the plan.  I don't think Virginia would have agreed to be slowly overrun as a strategy for winning the broader war.

Couldn't it be said that that is exactly what happened anyways?  And with the capitol in Alabama, you would still have Tennessee, North Carolina and/or Georgia to go through.  The Appalachins were a formidable natural obstacle and any additional time gained could only improve its chances of ending the war peacefully and (mostly) intact.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Airborne Rifles

The problem is I don't think you can look at the Confederacy as a whole nation that was considering the best interests of the whole.  If the Confederate government had announced that part of their strategy for victory was to slowly sacrifice those states closest to the federal forces than those states likely wouldn't have seceded in the first place or at very least have vetoed the whole plan.  Just my opinion though.  I don't have anything to back it up.  If you are arguing that in an ideal world for the Confederacy where all the leadership was far-sighted and all the states willing to sacrifice for the whole that this strategy might have worked than I think you are right, but I think in reality politically this was impossible.

Staggerwing

AR, I think you hit the nail right on the head there. Each Confederate State gov't had a bottom line of 'you go first' vis a vis it's neighbors when trading space for time was the best option.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Have to look it up, but one of the wealthier states was North Carolina.  The govenor was a secessionist of extreme views.
To the point, that when he had a surplus, it was not shared with other states.  IIRC, Foote, in his three part history, mentions that this fellow had lots of food, munitions, and shoes, which were hoarded for the use of North Carolina only.
This is part of the reason that supply was so tricky for the south. 
If a govenor did not want to give up something that came from his state, by the constituion, they could not be forced to share.
With all the shortages caused by their agrarian economy, this was often a big issue.  Much of Jeff Davis' time was spent arguing with such folks.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bob48

^Didn't Jefferson Davis once say that 'To defeat the Union, we have to become like the Union'?

This was because of incidents such as the one you describe, where States Rights often meant that the kind of cooperation required was lacking.

I also seem to remember reading that, although the reasons for Lee to invade the North seemed valid, in fact, the Confederacy did not need to do so, but only to prevent the North from invading the South.

If the battle of Sharpsburg had not happened, there seems to have been a good possibility that both France and England would have had to recognise the Confederacy, which could have had a significant impact on events. The fact that Lincoln was able to put out the Emancipation Proclamation meant that neither France or England would recognise the South since that would appear to support slavery, something which both countries had already renounced.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

I love bringing up that point when people say that the civil war was fought over slavery.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

bob48

Star, you have no idea how many times over the years I have had to try and explain to unenlightened folk just where the slavery issue figured in the war. Its one of those 'popular misconception' thingies.

The other one I have a hard time getting people to understand is that Lee was NOT the commander of the Confederate army.

Its this sort of thing that will make future generations believe that Hitler was some kind of hero >:(
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

on the upside is the fact that we're smarterer then most.  ;)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bob48 on July 08, 2013, 12:58:00 PM
Star, you have no idea how many times over the years I have had to try and explain to unenlightened folk just where the slavery issue figured in the war. Its one of those 'popular misconception' thingies.

To anyone who continues to claim that slavery was the primary cause of the conflict, I simply ask them this question:

"When were the slaves freed in Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri (and West Virginia)?"

(hint: it was after the war)

If slavery was the primary cause of the war, then why weren't the slaves freed in the non-seceding slave states as soon as the war broke out?

It's been much easier to spin the war as a noble crusade against those evil slave-owning Southerners than the nuanced shades of gray involving the combination of a new nation desperate to keep its pieces together, Northern industrialists afraid of losing access to Southern resources, political hubris, and a continuing supply of immigrants coming into Northern states that could immediately be fed into the fight.

It doesn't take much digging to find many historical records of opposition to the war in the northern states, the reality of slavery's continuing existence even after the war started and the Emanicpation Proclamation, and the end of the war, or Lincoln's own admission that he didn't care is slavery came or went, as long as the country stayed together.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers