From Russia With Love GB (Su-27SM)

Started by JudgeDredd, January 16, 2016, 02:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Is the nose weight just to provide the model with better balance?

BTW, does anyone know where I can get some 1/200 scale WWII RAF decals online?  I finally tracked down a Hurricane Mk II miniature for Wings of Glory but it's got Belgian markings.  I'd like to change them to RAF ones but my hands aren't steady enough for that kind of detailed paint work.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 13, 2016, 03:51:22 PM
Is the nose weight just to provide the model with better balance?

That's been my experience. The center of balance for a lot of tricycle landing gear models tends to be too far aft and without modification the plane will tail sit. That Liquid Gravity stuff looks like a great solution.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JudgeDredd

^ What he said. Aircraft with nose wheels generally sit on their arse with the nose wheel in the air unless weight is inserted.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Ok - no huge great shakes on the building front.

I decided to get some pieces built and, as is normal with me, I started with the weapons as they have to be made and painted prior to being put on the machine anyway - so if I make them first, I can prime them with the rest of the aircraft

So I got the missiles made that this bad boy carries - and she carries plenty.

First off, there were no letters on the sprues to identify the sprues - which seemed odd as the instructions had a sprue letter-number combo. Thankfully, at the beginning of the instructions, there's a graphic that shows the sprue letters...so I stuck a piece of paper on the sprue to easily identify it

Next, the R27 ET
From Wiki
AA-10 Alamo-D, the infrared-homing extended-range version, Weight 348 kg. Missile can be used at 20 to 27000 meters altitude. Effective kill range: 2 to 52.5 km head-on, 0.7 to 12.5 tail-on. Maximum range: 104 km. Maximum allowed vertical separation: 12 km

All the missiles had tags from cutting from the sprues...

...so they needed a bit of TLC (sanding with an UMP Fine sanding stick)

Then it was the turn of the R27 ER
From Wiki
AA-10 Alamo-C, the semi-active-radar homing extended-range version. Missile can be used at 20 to 27000 meters altitude. Effective kill range for a target at same altitude: 2 to 65.5 km head-on, 0.7 to 16.5 km tail-on. Missile cannot be fired at altitude less than 3 km against a target with background earth, if launch range is less than 6 kilometers. Maximum range: 117 km. Maximum allowed vertical separation: 12 km

And the R77
From Wiki
The Vympel NPO R-77 missile (NATO reporting name: AA-12 Adder) is a Russian medium range, active radar homing air-to-air missile system. It is also known by its export model designation RVV-AE. It is the Russian counterpart to the American AIM-120 AMRAAM missile

These had a nasty sprue piece holding them - between the "propeller" section

And when cut off the sprue, I had to deal with this

And finally the Kh-31
From Wiki
The Kh-31 (Russian: Х-31; AS-17 'Krypton') is a Russian air-to-surface missile carried by aircraft such as the MiG-29 or Su-27. It is capable of Mach 3.5 and was the first supersonic anti-ship missile that could be launched by tactical aircraft. There are several variants, it is best known as an anti-radiation missile (ARM) but there are also anti-shipping and target drone versions. There has been talk of adapting it to make an "AWACS killer", a long-range air-to-air missile[/]

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

LOL @ the R-77 "propeller". 

Those vaned fences, or whatever the official name of the odd steering vanes on the back may be, are certainly interesting.  Even without tough to reach sprue leftovers.  Looks like they'd cause more drag than needed. *shrug*

JudgeDredd

lol - I suppose I could've looked up what they were.

I assumed they wouldn't be powered like a propeller, but I imagined they would spin during flight.

I'm off to look now - see if I can find out what they are.
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

The aerodynamics are novel, combining vestigial cruciform wings with grid fins used as tail control surfaces (similar devices are used on the OTR-23 Oka, and USAF uses them on MOAB). Each surface consists of a metal frame containing a blade-like grid assembly which combines a greater control area, and thus lifting force, with reduced weight and size. The development for this control concept took three years of theoretical work and testing. These surfaces require less powerful actuators than conventional fins.[citation needed] The flow separation which occurs at high angles of attack enhances its turning ability, giving the missile a maximum turn rate of up to 150° per second. However, updated variants of the R-77, such as the izdeliye 180 that is destined for the PAK FA, will use conventional fins instead.[3]
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 18, 2016, 09:22:06 AM
The aerodynamics are novel, combining vestigial cruciform wings with grid fins used as tail control surfaces (similar devices are used on the OTR-23 Oka, and USAF uses them on MOAB). Each surface consists of a metal frame containing a blade-like grid assembly which combines a greater control area, and thus lifting force, with reduced weight and size. The development for this control concept took three years of theoretical work and testing. These surfaces require less powerful actuators than conventional fins.[citation needed] The flow separation which occurs at high angles of attack enhances its turning ability, giving the missile a maximum turn rate of up to 150° per second. However, updated variants of the R-77, such as the izdeliye 180 that is destined for the PAK FA, will use conventional fins instead.[3]

This.

This is why you were hired to write Panthers in the Fog.

Just brilliant. Why can't you share more of your talent?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

His talent for quoting from Wikipedia?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

lol - the clue was this
[citation needed]
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Well, evidently the Fence-Vane thing is too costly and/or over-engineered if they're creating newer models with the old-fashioned steering planes in their place.  ???

JudgeDredd

So slooooooooooow. Sorry. Just not enough time in the week.

First off, a bit of filler was required for the Kh-31 missiles

Next, the cockpit. So I had bought a resin pit for this, but really didn't like the look of it. Whilst it was relatively detailed, it kind of looked, well...messy. Anyway, it came with a complete pit and seat but also with panels and a HUD for using with the stock pit...so I decided to use that.

This is the standard pit (detailed, eh?)

This is the ejection seat (stock) built complete with "fiddly bits"

And this is the pit with the seat fitted and the resin panels. They were not a great fit, but I'm hoping the finish will be reasonable when painted...we'll see

Next is primer and painting the pit which I will probably do with the airbrush with a base colour and then touch up parts with a brush before dry brushing

Don't hold your breath. At this rate I'll be lucky to meet the April deadline!
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.