Decision Games Folio Series

Started by Tinkershuffle, September 11, 2014, 10:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkershuffle

I've been looking for a introductory level operational wargame to lure some of my friends to the dark side of the force and now DG's Folio series has got my attention. If I've understood correctly Folio series games have pretty much all the elements that operational level wargames should have although for example artillery and supply rules are highly abstracted. According to DG the playing time is about 60-90min which sounds both great and very suspicious at the same time. Any opinions on the series?

bayonetbrant

They are rewrites of some of SPI's old "quad" series.  The modern ones use a variation of the old Modern Battles rules, which are good, but the mobile CRTs often resulted in a lot "chasing each other around the map" and not a lot of dead units.  I've not played the updated ones, tho I've ogled them a few times and almost pulled the trigger.

You might also want to look into VPG's "-20" series games.  The schtick is that there's never more than 20 counters or so on the map at once, so it keeps the footprint manageable.  I've heard nothing but good things about them and there's a variety of topics available.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Victory Point Games has a title that's got low unit density (70 counters total) and it looks pretty good to boot:

http://www.victorypointgames.com/hell-s-gate.html

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/136146/hells-gate

Tinkershuffle

Thanks for the good recommendations!

Cyrano

On the topic as writ, I can't decide what I think about Decision Games' price policy.

There isn't a game I love more (largely for nostalgic reasons) than the Thirty Years War quad, but I can't bring myself to update the folios from it at the prices charged.  Just doesn't seem to be the dollar for value there...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Cyrano on September 20, 2014, 04:00:51 PM
On the topic as writ, I can't decide what I think about Decision Games' price policy.

There isn't a game I love more (largely for nostalgic reasons) than the Thirty Years War quad, but I can't bring myself to update the folios from it at the prices charged.  Just doesn't seem to be the dollar for value there...

That's where you volunteer to GM a bunch of games at Origins next year, then use your GM compensation to cut the prices down at their booth :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers