In which we discuss Conflict of Heroes

Started by W8taminute, October 18, 2013, 02:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: GJK on October 26, 2013, 11:01:24 PM
Excellent AAR, W8 - good stuff! 

Thanks!

Quote from: GJK on October 26, 2013, 11:01:24 PM
How do you feel the "real world" tactics work in this game with the new command points system?

Too early for me to tell with any certainty.  The map I played on had only clear, light woods, and heavy woods to use.  I really appreciated the defense modifiers one gets when in any type of woods.  But if you have enough covering units I suppose you could rush another unit from cover to cover using real world tactics.  Make sure you have the CAP to add to the AP to get your unit to his destination safely.  This is where I'm wondering if you can game this system?  What I mean is if I have enough CAP to spend I can rush a unit 7+ hexes, have him fire, modify his die roll and hopefully neutralize an enemy unit with ease.  That would probably mean that the remaining units could not do too much but score at least one kill this way every round and you win these smaller scenarios.  Am I wrong in my assumption?

Quote from: bob48 on October 27, 2013, 06:06:43 AM
Also, the fact that a unit which is flipped to its 'used' side may still be able to fire or move using CAP's or an action card, again raises the uncertainty level and adds tension to the game, and means that you can never discount an enemy unit as being a threat (unless your opponent has not CAP's or cards left).

That uncertainty is a big attraction for me as well.  I wonder how that factor works in a larger scenario on a map with lots o' cover?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bob48

You can, as you say, rush a unit in the way that you describe, at the expense of CAP's. However, its likely that since you are still only moving one hex per impulse, your opponent may well be taking steps to intercept you. Not only that, but it does denude you of CAP's, and sometimes, its more of an advantage to have some 'in reserve' as a threat to your opponent.

Also, don't ignore the 'shared activation' option, which can often be used to great advantage. Group activations and the formation of fire-teams, especially for the Russians, is a must, as this greatly enhances firepower for those AP hungry Soviet units.

The uncertainty factor is even more fun in bigger scenario's - and you have to be much more careful in how you use CAP's and cards.

As a matter of interest, we have adopted one of the recommended options which is rolling for variable AP's when activating a unit. We roll 3 die and add the lowest to the highest so a unit may get between 2 and 12 AP's.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

How funny is that AAR?  ;D

I have the First Edition (I think) - great game. What killed it for me? Buyign board games like I buy computer games - in that it's too much effort to learn the rules only to move to another game to learn those rules only to come back - eventually you get bored reading the same rules.

Also - when it got to armour, I found the rules getting more complex.

I think my memory retention is bad enough to detract considerably from my enjoyment of boardgames. I've just discovered at the back of my cupboard World at War Blood and Bridges - a game I was hugely looking forward to playing.

It is now OUT of the cupboard - I love you guys and your boardgame stories  :D
Alba gu' brath

GJK

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 27, 2013, 12:50:51 PM

Welcome to the dark side JD.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

W8taminute

Quote from: bob48 on October 27, 2013, 11:35:43 AM
...However, its likely that since you are still only moving one hex per impulse, your opponent may well be taking steps to intercept you....

Aha!  That was what I was doing wrong.  I misunderstood the rules or must have missed the part that specifies only moving one hex per impulse.  I thought as long as you had the points to spend, be it AP or CAP or both, you could move as many hexes as possible per impulse.  My mistake.  Now it doesn't make sense to rush a unit in the manner I described.  I'd rather save the moves to bring up other units or keep a reserve of points for re-rolling die rolls or firing.

Quote from: bob48 on October 27, 2013, 11:35:43 AMAlso, don't ignore the 'shared activation' option, which can often be used to great advantage. Group activations and the formation of fire-teams, especially for the Russians, is a must, as this greatly enhances firepower for those AP hungry Soviet units.

I'll have to read up on how to do this.  I was wondering if this was possible because there are some shots you need to take that just aren't going to hit if only one unit can fire at a time.

Quote from: bob48 on October 27, 2013, 11:35:43 AMAs a matter of interest, we have adopted one of the recommended options which is rolling for variable AP's when activating a unit. We roll 3 die and add the lowest to the highest so a unit may get between 2 and 12 AP's.

That is an option I did read about and am intrigued by it's possibilities.  If a unit rolled a 3 let's say that could simulate a lot of issues.  Maybe the unit is confused and orders couldn't reach them in time, or maybe their training doesn't allow for them to perform too many actions.  Although if on a subsequent round that same unit rolled a 12 maybe that could signify that the men worked really hard to overcome their difficulties for that impulse. 

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 27, 2013, 12:50:51 PM
How funny is that AAR?  ;D

I have the First Edition (I think) - great game. What killed it for me? Buyign board games like I buy computer games - in that it's too much effort to learn the rules only to move to another game to learn those rules only to come back - eventually you get bored reading the same rules.

Also - when it got to armour, I found the rules getting more complex.

I think my memory retention is bad enough to detract considerably from my enjoyment of boardgames. I've just discovered at the back of my cupboard World at War Blood and Bridges - a game I was hugely looking forward to playing.

Welcome aboard!  I hope you do indeed try to get some enjoyment out of your boardgames.  I'm with you on the memory and jumping around from game to game but the big reason for me getting back to some board game times is to give my video game bashed up brain a chance to rest. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

bob48

To create a fire team, you designate a unit as the fire team leader, and pay its AP cost to fire. To constitute a part of the fire team, a unit has to be stacked with, or adjacent to, the fire team leader. For each unit that qualifies, you add 1 point to the fire team leaders firepower.

Obviously, to be counted as part of that team, a unit has to be on its active side and not have a hit chit that effects its firepower. Also, it has to be a combat unit with a valid firepower. It follows that the fire team can consist of both infantry and armour, and, of course, it means you can also apply the same principle to pure armour fire teams.

In effect, this is also a 'shared activation' are thus subject to the appropriate rules.

'Clip those corners'

Arctic Blast

Dammit...stop making these games look good! And another series joins the wishlist...

>:(

;D

W8taminute

Sounds pretty simple bob, thanks for the background.  I'm going to try this out during my next game. 

Come on Arctic.  Join the party!!   :)

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bob48 on October 27, 2013, 05:12:40 PM
To create a fire team, you designate a unit as the fire team leader, and pay its AP cost to fire. To constitute a part of the fire team, a unit has to be stacked with, or adjacent to, the fire team leader. For each unit that qualifies, you add 1 point to the fire team leaders firepower.

Obviously, to be counted as part of that team, a unit has to be on its active side and not have a hit chit that effects its firepower. Also, it has to be a combat unit with a valid firepower. It follows that the fire team can consist of both infantry and armour, and, of course, it means you can also apply the same principle to pure armour fire teams.

In effect, this is also a 'shared activation' are thus subject to the appropriate rules.
I can't remember - so thought I'd throw this in - all members have to have sufficient range do they not?
Alba gu' brath

bob48

Yep JD - quite right. Also, all firing units have to have the target in their LOS and front facing.

'Clip those corners'