Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellfish6

Pete Dero

Quote from: hellfish6 on July 16, 2020, 05:13:39 AM
Quote from: Cougar_DK on July 16, 2020, 01:34:57 AM
Or you could try "Liberation Dynamic Campaign" out: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=214834

I'll check that out, thanks.

There is a whole list of dynamic campaigns : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/search/?tags=dynamic%20campaign

I haven't tried them but most have high user ratings.

Yskonyn

The problem still with most DCS SP missions is that the AI is unable to properly update you on mission progress unless it has been scripted thoroughly by the mission designer.

Even then the wacky AI often breaks a perfectly well thought out script because it decides to do things slightly differently or suddenly delay actions for no clear reason which prevents other triggers to fire in time. Stuff like that.

Also the radio feedback is much less expansive than for example the Falcon 4.0 callouts by AI units.

So overall the SP missions in DCS remain a mixed bag, I agree.
That said, there are several very fun missions available. But IMO the sim shines best when multiple players are involved in a mission.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Cougar_DK

There are a newer version of the Liberation campaign engine here: https://github.com/Khopa/dcs_liberation/releases/
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Redwolf

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 16, 2020, 12:22:37 PM

Even then the wacky AI often breaks a perfectly well thought out script because it decides to do things slightly differently or suddenly delay actions for no clear reason which prevents other triggers to fire in time. Stuff like that.

Also the radio feedback is much less expansive than for example the Falcon 4.0 callouts by AI units.

Sounds like a perfect emulation of a real-world military :)

Jarhead0331

All of it's short-comings considered, I must be the only guy that is still totally delighted with cold-start, taxi, take-off and general flight/navigation.

I guess I'm easy to please.  <:-)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 17, 2020, 10:08:37 AM
All of it's short-comings considered, I must be the only guy that is still totally delighted with cold-start, taxi, take-off and general flight/navigation.

In that case you must have pretty moistened loins due to the imminent FS2020 release!  :D

But I agree! Cold start the Hornet or Tomcat and just flying the pattern at the carrier is a thrilling experience!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Syria map is up for pre-order. Hopefully will be released with the next open beta.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 17, 2020, 10:08:37 AM

Nah....I'm there. Still haven't played anything other than DCS since I bought the AV-8 in May 2019. My newest love is the Mig-21. Why? Because it's old, complex and there are LOTS of switches and buttons that have to be manipulated. I love flipping switches. It's the startup, warm up, taxi and the first few minutes after takeoff when I'm adjusting things that is my favorite.

Combat is fun, sure. But I find myself flying the Mig-21, F-14 and the F-18 exclusively because they are complex and require a lot of button pushing. I learned the F-16 but....well....not enough things to switch.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

hellfish6

Reinspired to reattack DCS due to the incoming Syria terrain (which holds a near and dear place to my life) I committed to take the time to learn one plane - the Su-25T. I like mud movers, and I like OPFOR. It was surprisingly enjoyable to learn. Mind you, I still don't do cold starts (but I generally know how to now) and I have a much greater appreciation for how pilots are able to multitask. Flying in hot on a target that you have to manually find and place a cursor on while under fire ain't easy. I still miss dynamic missions/campaigns, but I'm slowly coming around to this bolt-counter behemoth.

Yskonyn

MengJiao

Quote from: hellfish6 on August 04, 2020, 02:30:26 PM
Reinspired to reattack DCS due to the incoming Syria terrain (which holds a near and dear place to my life) I committed to take the time to learn one plane - the Su-25T. I like mud movers, and I like OPFOR. It was surprisingly enjoyable to learn. Mind you, I still don't do cold starts (but I generally know how to now) and I have a much greater appreciation for how pilots are able to multitask. Flying in hot on a target that you have to manually find and place a cursor on while under fire ain't easy. I still miss dynamic missions/campaigns, but I'm slowly coming around to this bolt-counter behemoth.

That's the first plane I flew in DCS.  Bolt-counter behemoth is a great description!

mikeck

Quote from: hellfish6 on August 04, 2020, 02:30:26 PM

Dynamic campaigns would be awesome. I will say however that I've become reasonably competent with the editor. I still have a tough time getting AI planes to bomb/attack things I want them too but getting better. I've created my own mini-campaigns. I simply decide how many of what each side has and what their goals are. I set up a mission, play it, count up the losses And look at what happened on the map. Red successesfly takes out an airstrip, the airport is down for 72 hours. Damage a carrier (ship damage is borked and minimal so I use more than 10%) then the carrier sails away and it is unavailable for use. Maybe place 50% of its aircraft on a nearby base. Etc etc

It's not hard and it's a lot of fun
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Dynamic campaign update...sounds interesting.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4446619&postcount=265

Also some discussion of the dynamic campaign here by Nick Grey...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Definitely interesting!
Loins moistening even... yum