Let the Captain Marvel trailers commence!

Started by JasonPratt, September 19, 2018, 06:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Even if Brie is as dull in the film as she looks in the trailers, I have some hope in the handling of the material. And she seems to wake up when around better actors.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I volunteer to handle her material! Really, any time.... any day, night or holiday. To make the film better of course. What were you thinking?  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Yeaaahhhh, uh, cute girls who are dead inside don't always age well....

(I had to find some excuse to play this somewhere.... I laughed until I hurt.)

"Back in the 70s, I got in this little scrape. See, I was dancing -- for the Bucs! -- [or maybe for the bucks] and all these Persian men offered me punch... and I was like, what are you doing, this is crazy, they're so nice! And so off we go. And then we got to the Peruvian border, and..."
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Centurion40

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 26, 2018, 09:40:28 AM
Did you say Green Lantern was a 'flop' or 'fop' Centurion?  :-"   Sorry, I know, I know. Go to the corner and stay there.

Yeah, sorry... typo. I meant to say a painful effing abomination piece of crap. But my kid liked it. He's an idiot.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Dammit Carl!

I've said elsewhere that Marvel kinda missed the mark here.

Give me a female Marvel, but make it Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) over Cpt. Marvel (C. Danvers).

Why: Ms. Marvel stories are similar to Spider Man stories in that you have a more "everyman," hero that is relatable.

PC bullshit aside, I think that would have been a better choice story-wise for a lynchpin MCU movie to make.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Centurion40 on September 28, 2018, 05:39:54 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 26, 2018, 09:40:28 AM
Did you say Green Lantern was a 'flop' or 'fop' Centurion?  :-"   Sorry, I know, I know. Go to the corner and stay there.

Yeah, sorry... typo. I meant to say a painful effing abomination piece of crap. But my kid liked it. He's an idiot.

The videogame sequel is quite good, tho! -- enough so that you can practically ignore the film.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 26, 2018, 11:42:46 AM
I volunteer to handle her material! Really, any time.... any day, night or holiday. To make the film better of course. What were you thinking?  :dreamer:

You ruffian! 

Same here of course.    :smitten:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on September 28, 2018, 07:17:28 PM
I've said elsewhere that Marvel kinda missed the mark here.

Give me a female Marvel, but make it Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) over Cpt. Marvel (C. Danvers).

I have very little doubt they're getting to Kamala eventually. But the writers need to bring in a big gun to punch Thanos with, and that isn't KK. Plus Danvers' plot naturally introduces (or reveals) the Skrull plotline, which is where they want to go next in the overarching plot. So there are good reasons to go with the Danvers character. And she's a good character, too, when written (and acted) competently.

JasonPratt

Parody trailer -- I laughed so hard I had to share.

Warning: don't be drinking or eating something when you get to the parody of the cat-petting scene.

Tpek

LoL, this looks more entertaining than the real movie.

acctingman

I haven't seen Bree Larson in anything. She's cute, not hot, but very cute. Carol Danvers is a pretty tough cookie. Can Bree pull this off? (to anyone who has seen her act)

JasonPratt

We've seen her trying to act tough in the trailers so far and... um....

...yeah, in the comics (up until recently for reasons having to do with writing skill), she has been a well-respected cheerful but military tough kind of character (keeping in mind her characterization has been ALL OVER THE PLACE for decades. But more consistent for the past decade.)

According to a wide swath of internet responses, Larson either fails at acting tough and awesome due to some kind of inability, or she wildly succeeds at acting tough and awesome because she's a woman.  ::) (This, incidentally, is also Larson's own opinion of her performance.)

The marketing for this film has been an amazing car crash into a dumpster fire. It'll still make a billion dollars, because duh.

Anyway, that partly explains this spoof trailer some more: they went with "her idea of acting tough is to be a sociopathic self-centered teen."

I'm not gonna lie, I'm gonna have to restrain yelling out "PUNCH THE CAT, FURY, IN HIS LITTLE CAT FACE!" when I get to that scene in the theater. If other people do, I'll completely lose the next few minutes of plot from trying to survive laughing.

acctingman

I'm going to wait on this one. I just can't see this film being even close to the top tier Marvel movies.

Sir Slash

I'm beginning to have doubts about it too. But that probably won't stop me from pluncking down my dough when it hits.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

I've enjoyed them all so far, and there's a pretty good chance Bro and I will be taking the nieces.