Holiday Sale Regrets

Started by Rayfer, January 14, 2020, 03:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

When I did attempt MP, I was sniped almost every time I spawned :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on January 28, 2020, 07:07:44 PM

That sounds like my week at work after coming back from vacation  :crazy2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

Yeah that happens in a lot of games not just in this one.  The trick when that happens is to spawn somewhere that is not close to the action and try hugging the map edges as you creep towards the capture points. 

If you're getting sniped no matter where you spawn then just wait until another player spawns then spawn immediately where he did.  Hopefully the sniper targets the other guy and not you.  LOL
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Kinda puts a damper on the whole escape from reality thing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Why would a developer allow this? Shouldn't a spawn area be free from any attack. Makes no sense. What am I missing here?

jamus34

Spawn camping is an age old practice of FPS which quickly created the fabled "rage quit".
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

I think I am too old now for rage quit and just meh quit instead. But now that I've learned about bots it saved the game and my 9.99 for me. Mostly.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

I saved my sanity by refusing to buy twitch FPS shooters anymore. Every now again they'll have a free weekend and that's just enough time to remind why I don't buy them anymore.
Insert witty comment here.

W8taminute

I used to rage quit very viciously in the past but now I embrace the spawn campers.  I know many may disagree but I believe that spawn camping is a valid tactic to defeat the enemy team.  The good players know how to counter spawn campers.  I've seen team mates kill the spawn campers brilliantly and even I have been able to pull it off 1 out of 10 times. 

There are ways, depending on what game you're playing, of camping the spawn campers.  Usually when a spawn camper sees that he's been had he tends not to come back.  If he does come back it's free kills for the one who waits for such an obvious move.   ;)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

W8taminute

Ok I have an example of killing a spawn killer.

Last night I was playing Heroes and Generals as the Soviets.  I had my light tank which was parked just outside of one of our spawn areas.  I was in a small clump of trees with excellent overwatch.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw a German motorcyclist race by my right side.  He planted to magnetic AT mines on the rear of my tank.  As I was bailing out he shot me.  In the kill cam I noticed that he then was proceeding to steal my damaged tank. 

Well since he foolishly was close to our spawn point I respawned and crept up to the position where I died.  I saw him still in the motions of stealing my tank (it takes several seconds to unlock enemy tanks when you're stealing them) and machine gunned him.  I then stole his motorcycle and drove on to the closest objective and went on a wild rampage before a sniper ended me.  Great fun!

mbar

Here's to wild rampages  <:-)

Father Ted

Quote from: Rayfer on January 29, 2020, 03:16:25 PM

Why would a developer allow this? Shouldn't a spawn area be free from any attack. Makes no sense. What am I missing here?

Older games would have had fixed, protected spawn-points, but most of the current generation of MP FPSs have player-deployable spawns.  This is a great way to promote squad-cohesion, but also means that the player can put them in untenable positions. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao