COD: Infinite Warfare and Titanfall 2

Started by Jarhead0331, November 05, 2016, 10:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

For anyone who is sitting on the fence with either of these two titles, I wholly endorse and recommend both. I'm fully enjoying the single player campaigns in both games. The production values are all top notch, graphics, story, voice acting, it's all impressive. Each game has some really fun and unique mechanics too. In Titanfall you get the dynamic of combat on foot and in a Titan, and the action on foot is in some ways more enjoyable since you have a lot of mobility with the parkour action. IW on the other hand has zero g combat, as well as space combat in fighter craft, which is surprisingly very exciting and enjoyable. My only complaint is that the action is so wild and frenetic that there is little opportunity to really watch and take in the breathtaking maps and objects populating them.

Anyway, haven't even touched any of the other game modes, but I'm really looking forward to it in both. Would be great to get some games going with some grogs. I also haven't tried modern warfare remastered yet, but damn, back in the day, some of the boys at wargamer.com had a blast every night playing that game. Good times.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

donkey_roxor

I agree for COD: IW. I'm only on the third campaign mission, but I like it better than Black Ops 3 already. Also it runs better - I had some issues with slowdown on Black Ops 3 that didn't get resolved until a few patches later, but am not running into any performance issues with IW.

Jarhead0331

I just want to add that it is definitely still "CoD", so if you haven't ever cared for this style of game, there is a good chance you still won't care for "IW". That being said, the space combat and zero-g action adds another very enjoyable level of play, and the missions so far have sometimes been seamless in the transition, which is pretty cool. For instance, one mission has you flying out to an enemy destroyer in orbit around the moon. You exit your craft and fight your way into the destroyer in zero-g. Once inside, its back to more traditional combat, but the whole mechanic of flying from point A to point B, fighiting in Zero-g and then entering a large structure to accomplish the objective by taking the bridge is very cool.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I've literally just completed the single player Titanfall 2 campaign and was going to create a thread to.....rave about it.

So I'll piggy back this one.

Titanfall 2 is fantastic. It's got a fantastic story, very good dialogue, amazing graphics and some superb unique mechanics.

Lots of weapons. Not Borderlands lots - but certainly enough to provide a variation of tactical options.

When I first found my Titan and within a few hundreds yards found myself on foot, I was somewhat disappointed. However the foot combat is stellar. AI isn't great - at least in terms of cover - but they seemed to use  mines, grenades and their weapons well enough and I found it just right - and I should say I was playing on Easy (I don't like replaying the same mission over and over).

Some "puzzle" aspects to the game. The jump mechanic to get over chasms is well implemented. There's also some interesting aspects in the game regarding flipping into the past and present to get through the phase of the game - very cool. I'm not giving anything away there - it's evident when you get there...what's not evident and what you'll learn is how to use it.

The Titans are superb. You get intros to the various key enemy Titans when you meet them and it's very immersive. What is extremely well done is the combat. You get I think half a dozen weapons over the course of getting your Titan. These weapons come with different abilities such as hover, tethering mines, ion cannon, Gatling gun, shield, "throw back" of projectiles. They are all very potent in their various guises depending on the enemy you face (foot soldiers, mechs, Titans) and you will find yourself switching between them.

The relationship played out between your Titan (BT 7274 I think) is excellent and you grow through the game together.

The production values throughout the game are stellar. Everything about it is superb and I can definitely see myself playing through this again.

Overall - I give this a 9 out of 10. It was that good in my opinion.

*note* - I don't know who reported 5 hours of gameplay and how they came to that conclusion. I have 14 on it. I may just be crap and had to replay a lot (but I don't think I did)

Do yourself a favour and get this if you had the smallest attraction to the idea.
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

I'm planning on getting both. Both look great, but both are outside the realm of what I usually play. JH, JD - if you had to choose one to play first, which would it be? I really am having trouble deciding and am about to pre-purchase Dishonored 2, to complicate things further.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

I don't have IW I'm afraid.

All I can say is Titanfall 2 is worth the price tag. I will get at least another go through the game and there's multiplayer if I so choose.
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

I enjoyed it enough yep.

On Easy I got 14 hours logged. I'll easily go through that campaign again...at least once.
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

I know I will get at least 20 hours because I am an incredibly slow FPS player - very cautious.

Well this helps me out not at all. I still want each game :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I think COD probably has more value from the sp perspective. From what I understand, you can play the MPLAYERmodes sp against bots, so once you're done with the campaign, there is still more to do outside of the dedicated sp campaign. It also has coop zombie modes and you can always get the legacy edition which comes with Modern Warfare remastered. A fabulous game in its own right with a campaign that had me riveted from start to finish.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

These are on my list along with Battlefield, but going to wait on lower pricing since I typically don't end up finishing these games, even if great.  Good to hear that single player modes aren't taking a back seat to MP.

Gusington

^Definitely.

Since WWI has been my main interest for years, my auto-buy would be BF1, but the SP components of Titanfall and Infinite Warfare sound better according to what JH and JD have posted...what to do...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Can either one be played with 2 players on the same Xbox.  If so, either one better than the other. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Hofstadter

I would get titanfall two.

If it wasnt 90 AUD.

They can eat me.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"