What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longdan

Quote from: Bison on January 28, 2013, 08:03:29 AM
Quote from: Airborne Rifles on January 28, 2013, 07:35:13 AM
Collapse by Jared Diamond, his follow-up to Guns, Germs, and Steel.  I just finished 1493: Uncovering the World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann.

Guns, Germs, and Steel was pretty good.  I found some of his hypothesis in Collapse to be a little far fetched to be honest.
That's honest and to be honest no surprise.  I think Jared Diamond is a visionary.  He has a very interesting background.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Bison

Longdan

Thank You.  Return to bible study.

Gusington

Neuromancer is ok, I am 50 pages in. It's a good compliment while playing Deux Ex: Human Revolution.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Longdan

I enjoy the fact that you feel you must express your contempt in such an adult manner.

Windigo

If the ignorant knew they were ignorant... would that make them any less ignorant? Therefore, could they truly be ingnorant?

MAD GENIUSES ALL!
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Bison

Quote from: Longdan on January 29, 2013, 05:41:39 PM
I enjoy the fact that you feel you must express your contempt in such an adult manner.

Yawn.

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on January 29, 2013, 06:25:02 PM
Quote from: Longdan on January 29, 2013, 05:41:39 PM

Yawn.

I see your yawn and raise you a ho-hum.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Apocolypse Z is an incredibly fast read.  Maybe it's just reading about zombies that makes the pages turn so quickly.

Longdan

Bison

You forgot your witty retort.

Longdan

Time to set an example for our younger readers.

JasonPratt

Eh, any technical work is yawny for anyone not a hardcore geek about the topic, and not everyone cares about the topic (pro or con) in the first place. I'm not offended. :) Many people would find the two books I Kindled on primary source analysis of Vietnam War policies yawnish, too-or-instead.

The illustrative point, aside from the weird roundabout way I got hooked on buying for Kindle, is that I've found it (somewhat) useful for research purposes, especially for helping search through documents. On the other hand it completely sucks for footnote reference purposes, and the Kindle's aggressive reformatting of the text can lead to problems. PDF files don't have either of those problems (for footnotes anyway--endnotes are even more difficult to access), because they're literally photoscans of pages, but I find I usually have to flip the screen to landscape mode (wider than tall) in order to zoom in enough for PDF texts to be feasibly readable. Also, being photoscans, the scans don't always come through very well in the ePearl ink (or whatever it's called. The high-tech version of Etch-a-Sketching usually works great, but not for that purpose.)

I do recommend not only getting one of the older models (thus also less expensive) with a lifetime 3G account built-in, for wireless satellite access anywhere, but also one with a physical keyboard at the bottom. I also recommend getting a journal-cover to protect the device, but only if it comes with a little pull-out light, since the nature of the screen (in b/w, not sure about color) is such that it features no intrinsic lighting at all.

Also, I recommend NOT TRYING TO BUY BOOKS THROUGH THE KINDLE LINK TO AMAZON!! It works, but it's much clumsier and harder to search, than going to Amazon by usual internet routes. (The newer color versions may fix this, hopefully.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 30, 2013, 11:03:55 AM
Also, I recommend NOT TRYING TO BUY BOOKS THROUGH THE KINDLE LINK TO AMAZON!! It works, but it's much clumsier and harder to search, than going to Amazon by usual internet routes. (The newer color versions may fix this, hopefully.)

This is true.  I also like the fact that as I'm looking a one title there are several recommended titles that cover the same sorts of materials.  I've made many impulse purchases that way.  Wait that might not be a good thing I better think about that for awhile...