What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

You've inspired me to download it on my kindle.  I may have to re-read it here soon.

Gusington

Sounds like great reading while playing the upcoming Rome 2 TW.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

The book was written in the 1800s, in Polish, and then translated into English so it's rough around the edges.  Once you get used to the style it's not so bad.

It's not easy to read, though.  I'm finding I need to sort of have some quiet, distraction-free space to read it otherwise it's impossible to follow.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I'm like that with everything I read.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

With the movie on the horizon, I just finished Ender's Game. Great novel, definitely a classic Sci-Fi and I'm not sure how I missed reading it before. Good stuff, hope the movie does it justice.

MetalDog

Are you going to read the other two, too?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Steelgrave

Quote from: MetalDog on May 15, 2013, 07:44:18 PM
Are you going to read the other two, too?

Yeah, just ordered them from Amazon, although Ender's Game holds up fine by itself. It will be interesting to see where Card takes the series.

Staggerwing

Actually, there are more than three books in the series:

• Ender's Game

• Speaker for the Dead

• Xenocide

• Children of the Mind

• Ender in Exile

• A War of Gifts

• Ender's Shadow

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 15, 2013, 07:52:02 PM
Actually, there are more than three books in the series:

• Ender's Game

• Speaker for the Dead

• Xenocide

• Children of the Mind

• Ender in Exile

• A War of Gifts

• Ender's Shadow

Yeah, I'm gonna read the next two and see where it goes.

MetalDog

I hadn't realized he'd gone past Speaker For the Dead and Xenocide.  I liked Speaker, but not Xenocide.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

Reading The Berlin Baghdad Express by Sean McMeekin, about German efforts to get the decrepit pre-WWI Ottoman Empire to join them in an alliance and begin a jihad against the allies. Sort of like Lawrence of Arabia in reverse.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I finished War of the Worlds last night.  The power was knocked out by a massive lightning storm, so I was very happy I chose to invest in the Kindle cover with the book light.

Tonight I start: Arms of Nemesis: A Novel of Ancient Rome http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046H9UEA/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#_

This is one of my favorite light reading book series.

Gusington

War of the Worlds is one of my favorite novels.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Got 2 books on the go at present; 'Fighter' by Len Deighton, and 'The Black Bull: From Normandy to the Baltic with the 11th Armoured Division' by Patrick Delaforce.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

I've read 'Bomber' a long time ago but I have not read 'Fighter'. Let me know if I should put it on my 'to read' list.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys