What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Awesome thank you. I do love me some vampires. Will be reading Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter soon on Steelie's recommendation.

I do agree with what you posted above about the Warhammer world. It is very well written stuff, like WH40K, but has that little something extra to make it almost believable. Not sure what it is.

As a related aside...also playing as a vampire in Skyrim but the benefits do not outweigh the whole world hating you so I am converting back. Going to try out the werewolf after that.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

You love vampires?  Even sparkly ones? i knew it!

I'm reading Ghouls of the Miskatonic.  Just started it so no impressions yet.

Gusington

Twilight is not a vampire story. It's a girly love thing with vampires in it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 21, 2012, 03:30:29 PM
Twilight is not a vampire story. It's a girly love thing with vampires in it.

The "vampires" are all sparkly. Most DMs would call them "fairies."

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

^Once again my ignorance of things Twilight is blissful.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Keunert

as the enlightened persona that i am i have to facepalm you lot. you read the literary equivalent of a double cheeseburger with mayonnaise. i hate to ruin your day as i am feeling some strange sentiments towards most guys here, i would call it affection. but some of you guys are rather old so it may be an idea to skip the space marine vampires of death thrash and start reading some literature.

good luck
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

LongBlade

Quote from: Keunert on March 21, 2012, 06:15:03 PM
as the enlightened persona that i am i have to facepalm you lot. you read the literary equivalent of a double cheeseburger with mayonnaise. i hate to ruin your day as i am feeling some strange sentiments towards most guys here, i would call it affection. but some of you guys are rather old so it may be an idea to skip the space marine vampires of death thrash and start reading some literature.

good luck

You would sound a lot more sincere if your other four browser tabs weren't open to various pr0n sites.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Keunert

you besterly start with Theodor Fontane's masterpiece 'Effi Briest' 1894.
the main character is a girl and her love!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effi_Briest
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Silent Disapproval Robot

Barthheart

Quote from: Keunert on March 21, 2012, 06:31:58 PM
you besterly start with Theodor Fontane's masterpiece 'Effi Briest' 1894.
the main character is a girl and her love!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effi_Briest

Not enough lasers.......

Bayonet_Chris

So, I got a lot of reading done on my vacation so far.

When Christ and his Saints slept was very good, especially the latter half that deals with the rise of Henry II and Eleanore of Aquitaine. This is a long book though, so be warned.

The Hunger Games trilogy was good, but not great. I thought the main character (Katniss) was a bit dim, but the overall distopian setting was cool. Actually caught the movie the other night, which I enjoyed. It's definitely good enough to check out, as it's a very quick read. Any YA books will be.

Leopard Moon was my friend's book, and she's very talented. It's not my usual genre (modern paranormal) but it was well executed. Don't know if it would match your tastes, but I liked it.

The Lies of Locke Lamora was outstanding. The narrative jumps back and forth a bit, but the dialog is tight and it is at times laugh-out-loud funny. It's fantasy, but a bit more sophisticated. The story centers around a tight cadre of thieves in a large city. Good stuff. I'm already reading his second book of the series, "Red Seas Under Red Skies".

I might read Mistborn as well between now and the flight home. I expect to be done with the second Locke Lamora book by Saturday.

Martok

Quote from: Bayonet_Chris on March 30, 2012, 01:47:26 AM

I might read Mistborn as well between now and the flight home.
You referring to the first book in the Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Paycheck in, so a quick visit to amazon.....

Just ordered the following goodies,

'Surface Detail' by Iain M Banks

"Colossal Cracks: Montgomery's 21st Army Group in Northwest Europe, 1944-45 (Stackpole Military History)"

and Shogun 2. (I'll add FotS later).

All for just over 16 quid including postage - now I call that a bargain.

Me happy :-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!