What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Yeah a lot of people love that book. Hoping Ostkrieg is high quality...haven't read anything on WWII eastern front since college.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Gusington on December 30, 2013, 08:00:31 PM
Yeah a lot of people love that book. Hoping Ostkrieg is high quality...haven't read anything on WWII eastern front since college.

:o

there is really something wrong with you.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

undercovergeek

stormbird by conn iggulden - does to the war of the roses what beevor did for ww2

Gusington

^Have you read any of his books on Ghengis Khan?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

I'm reading a book called Vlad: The Last Confession by C.C. Humphreys.  I am really digging it so far, about 1/3 through.

http://www.amazon.com/Vlad-Last-Confession-C-C-Humphreys-ebook/dp/B004TTS2LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388474739&sr=8-1&keywords=vlad
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on December 30, 2013, 11:33:52 PM
^Have you read any of his books on Ghengis Khan?

I haven't Gus, but my dad thought they were awesome, its him the put me onto the roses book

Gusington

^I've been wanting to read his Mongol stuff for a long time. And Toonces that Vlad title looks great...post your impressions if you have time.

Star I haven't read a lot on WWII at all because I had my Gramps around for so long. Until recently it felt like family stories more than 'history' you know what I mean? I've always been more interested in WWI because I never knew anyone who lived through it, unlike WWII.

Anyway, Ostkrieg so far is a solid read, I'm about 50 pages in.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

'I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story Of the Music Video Revolution,' by Craig Marks and Rob Tannenbaum.  Of especial interest, I would think, to grogs of a certain age, who, like me, couldn't wait for school to be over so I could go home and watch MTV.  Waiting for any number of videos with hot chicks to get your blood boiling.  Such as:

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

TheCommandTent

The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote.  Ok well maybe I haven't exactly starting reading it at the moment, but I got the three books for Christmas and the box set is currently sitting on top of my pile of books to be read just daring me to find the time to read them....
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

I've just begun rereading A Mighty Fortress by David Weber, the 4th book in his Safehold series.  I'm trying to time things so that the next Safehold novel Like a Mighty Army comes out before I finish Book 6.  :) 

Quote from: TheCommandTent on December 31, 2013, 05:43:01 PM
The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote.  Ok well maybe I haven't exactly starting reading it at the moment, but I got the three books for Christmas and the box set is currently sitting on top of my pile of books to be read just daring me to find the time to read them....
Very cool, Tent.  I know others here have recommended it, and it's already on my "must get around to reading at some point (just not this second)" list. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Toonces

Quote from: Gusington on December 31, 2013, 11:33:58 AM
And Toonces that Vlad title looks great...post your impressions if you have time.

I finished Vlad up today.  It's not an excessively long book.  I really enjoyed it.  I didn't know too much about Vlad the Impaler, so this was all new info to me.  It's historical fiction in that the author based the book on the known facts of Vlad's life, but of course filled things out and took some liberties to make an interesting story.  It moves fairly quickly and is straightforward enough to follow.  It's pretty violent.  I didn't think the writing was quite as epic as Guy Gavriel Kay, but it was definitely good writing.

I give it two thumbs up.  I don't know that I'd necessarily buy it- it's not a story I can see reading more than once- but if you can find it at the library or borrow it for your Kindle (which is what I did) then I say it's definitely worth a read.

I've now moved onto a book I bought last summer called Lords of Misrule by Nigel Tranter, part of the Stewart Trilogy (history of Scotland).  I finished his Bruce Trilogy a while back and really enjoyed it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^Thanks man. I'm getting it for free with a gift card, along with Conn Iggulden's book on Kublai Khan and another title to be named later, something either on the Picts, the Druids or Celts...not sure which yet.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on January 03, 2014, 05:26:46 PM
^Thanks man. I'm getting it for free with a gift card, along with Conn Iggulden's book on Kublai Khan and another title to be named later, something either on the Picts, the Druids or Celts...not sure which yet.

i see some Rome II homework

undercovergeek

Starting on Tom Clancy's Debt of Honour - read it a couple of times but i want to take some of the battles from there - saipan and guam, the bomb run on the Japanese dams and the comanche attacks on the awacs vehicles and create them in Command