What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Im still slogging through Mirths diary.
My God the mans fixation with soy beans knows no bounds.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Martok,

Seeing as how I haven't yet condensed books 6-8 and 9-10 into two books (which from some early experiments trimming Lord of Chaos I think could be very feasibly done without losing any meat and even keeping some fat), may I suggest Leigh Butler's WOT catchup notes at Tor.com when you get to WH and CoT?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

I finished A Place Called Armageddon during my trip last week.  That book was fantastic- I highly recommend it.  I enjoyed it more than Vlad, although Vlad was quite good as well.

Also, Lucifer's Hammer was great.  I read that about 6 years ago.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Greybriar

I am currently reading Black Jack Logan by Gary Ecelbarger.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Martok

My sojourn through The Wheel of Time continues.  I finished The Eye of the World earlier this morning, and have now begun The Great Hunt

Right now, I'm predicting it will take me around 30 weeks to read the entire series.  It wouldn't take so long if I were able to maintain my current pace, but I know things are going to slow down significantly once I hit books 7-8 (and especially 9-10). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Just about to start The Sino-French Naval War (1884-1885) by Piotr Olender.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on March 21, 2014, 09:23:14 PM
Just about to start The Sino-French Naval War (1884-1885) by Piotr Olender.

That's pretty...specialized there, Gus.  I knew Europe & the U.S. dabbled in China.  Hadn't realized 1) that China had a navy with which to carry on a campaign against the French and 2) that anyone would be that specific in their desire to research that or 3) that anyone ELSE would buy it!  ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

one sees the world differently when you 3 feet tall.  ;)

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gusington

^3' 1" with heels.

Late 19th century has always been one of my favorite eras. Sino-French may be a little misleading. What this book is really about is France's entry into Vietnam.

And the Chinese were not totally pathetic until the 20th century, after the late 1890s when the Japanese schooled them in modern naval tech.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on March 22, 2014, 09:47:56 AM
^3' 1" with heels.

Late 19th century has always been one of my favorite eras. Sino-French may be a little misleading. What this book is really about is France's entry into Vietnam.

And the Chinese were not totally pathetic until the 20th century, after the late 1890s when the Japanese schooled them in modern naval tech.

What dim knowledge of that time and place that resides in memory concurs with that statement.  I just hadn't remembered any mention of a Chinese fleet.  Then again, I am hopelessly lost about all things naval or air.  Neither holds any interest for me.  (Must be why I am shite in those areas in any game I play that models them.)

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: MetalDog on March 22, 2014, 10:23:26 AM
Then again, I am hopelessly lost about all things naval or air.  Neither holds any interest for me. 

???

bob48

Vietnam: A History by Stanley Karnow

Gus, in you have not already read it, then I recommend this.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MetalDog

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 22, 2014, 10:34:25 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on March 22, 2014, 10:23:26 AM
Then again, I am hopelessly lost about all things naval or air.  Neither holds any interest for me. 

???

It has always been easier for me to grasp land maneuvers and tactics.  Once you start explaining them for the other elements, my eyes just glaze over.

Gusington

Thanks Bawb. I have an interest in Vietnam but haven't read anything on it since I was a kid. Have this in my shopping cart right now - Embers of War by Fredrik Logevall:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375756477/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

I would also say that a good one to add to your list is 'The Last Valley' by Martin Windrow, its an excellent book on the subject, plus the books by Bernard Fall.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!