Total War: Troy - FREE to claim on Epic Games for first 24 hours after release

Started by al_infierno, August 11, 2020, 01:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/a-total-war-saga-troy/home

For the RTS fans in the house, the new Total War Saga game launches in a couple days.  According to the release note, it'll be claimable for free for the first 24 hours after launch.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Do Epic give away a free Huawai spyphone and Tiananem Square memorial mug with every download given their relationship with Tencent Holdings ? ;)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I considered it for a short while but since I probably would not play it right away I decided not to. My machine is still Epic free for now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

Quote from: Gusington on August 11, 2020, 01:37:44 PM
I considered it for a short while but since I probably would not play it right away I decided not to. My machine is still Epic free for now.

Content from your Epic library will now show up in GOG Galaxy 2.0 but as far as I know you will still need to install the Epic launcher to actually download and play an Epic game.  >:(
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

^Yeah...will pass for now. Who knows what Epic will offer next though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: devoncop on August 11, 2020, 01:33:18 PM
Do Epic give away a free Huawai spyphone and Tiananem Square memorial mug with every download given their relationship with Tencent Holdings ? ;)

;)

It will come to Steam in a year.  Like other Epic Spyware exclusive games.   ::)

I suppose by that time the hordes of patches and additions will have ironed out the ugly spots.

Still been tempted to check it out, but installing software that's 40+% owned by the CCP gives me serious pause.

Gusington

^That's another part of my 'more mature' attempt at game buying. If it's out for a year before I get it, chances are it will work much better than on launch day.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

- MengJiao

Gusington

^Thanks for posting, now I don't feel bad about waiting a year or longer:

A Total War Saga: TROY is a big disappointment on many levels: mechanically, creatively, and technically.

I'll grab it for 10 dollah 2 years from now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Queeg

Some of the reviews are a bit more favorable:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-saga-troy/review

https://www.ign.com/articles/a-total-war-saga-troy-review

And given all the money I've wasted over the years on games I never play, getting one for free has some appeal. 

Toonces

I didn't read the reviews yet, but I wonder what it is about the "Saga" Total Wars that just don't seem to work out.  The smaller campaigns in M2TW (Crusades etc.) were really fun; I appreciated the tighter scope.

I haven't tried Britannia yet because it's been so poorly reviewed.   That last thing I want is a slower TW game.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^Me neither, but I will this fall. I also haven't played Three Kingdoms yet. And I didn't really like the Warhammer games as much as I'd wanted to. The last TW game I really, really enjoyed was Attila.

This year is 20 years since the release of the original Shogun, btw.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Hehe, all 5 posts on the right side are by me now (on the main forum page).

Winner!   :peace:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

I like the new campaign concept of different resources they added in Troy

Buckled like a belt and will try it.  Since it's out now, for free. 

I've always had some complaints about TW's campaign system in each title.  Whether not being intricate enough in many areas, or having some ridiculous mechanic (looking at you, Attila, with your research penalties for expansion).  However, it's encouraging to see some of the focus taken away from simply making more money, and being spread out to resources.  Should give some variance to your expansion considerations and address the 'Units-Or-Buildings' lack of economic decision making in previous titles.