Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

I laughed at this old meme template more than I should've, probably. Well played, @uamemesforces  :knuppel2:

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, Ukr Defense Ministry keeps winning the meme war, too...!

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1557621932429819907?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1557621932429819907%7Ctwgr%5Ee43f9383958e4cb0205c5e9e579517ea249e117f%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsweek.com%2Fukraine-mocks-crying-russians-crimea-explosions-video-saky-air-base-1732826

....I have no idea how to make that address shorter. I am a twitard.  :'( Click for the video, tho?

QuoteUnless they want an unpleasantly hot summer break, we advise our valued russian guests not to visit Ukrainian Crimea.

Because no amount of sunscreen will protect them from the hazardous effects of smoking in unauthorised areas.
🎶Bananarama
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

More detail from the before/after damage shots:

The larger photo shows a third destroyed building, south of the go-line.

I noticed that yesterday morning, Business Insider reported that bottom row also 'suspected' but not confirmed destroyed, so their source analyst agreed with me (perhaps mistakenly) that the damage photo didn't actually show craft there.

I think it's probable, however, that the two farthest left craft didn't escape debilitating damage (the new photo looks like it shows debris more clearly -- keeping in mind the farthest left two parking slots were empty before the strike, though there's a large burn-blotch between those slots now like an impact was made there), while the two farthest-right craft got away unharmed, with a continuum of damage probability dropping left-to-right between them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-russia-jets-destroyed-in-surprise-attack-on-crimea-airfield-2022-8

The Tweet photo sent out by the Ukr Defense Ministry is perhaps inconclusive about which area the jet was struck in? (The question is whether that's on the tarmac go-line. I agree it does look like it should be...)

Insider provided an update 15 hours ago:

https://www.businessinsider.com/base-blasts-suggest-russian-positions-far-behind-front-lines-unsafe-2022-8?inline-endstory-related-recommendations=

Looks like the Ukrainian story is settling down to 'Ukrainian-made weapon system', which suggests a short-range missile system they've been working on, perhaps with partisan guidance.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 12, 2022, 03:51:42 AM
unfucking believable!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1557933881365610496

Seagal is lower than whale cr$p IMHO.

Thankfully we have folks like chef Jose Andres, who set up his kitchen operation in Ukraine early in the war, and it now serves 40K hot meals daily and a ton of bagged meals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeXLIjGcgvw

The video has some notes on the state of the Ukrainian economy and the availability of food in the war zone as well as the nation as a whole.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Skoop

The Airbase attack has been the buzz of the Ukraine war this week.  Everyone is trying to figure out what weapons they used to get it done.  Also, 3 days before, dcs forums were buzzing with reports of Ukrainians using western harm anti radar missiles, as wreckage was found in Russian occupied territory.  Interesting as Suhkois can't carry harms, so they must have modified them to fire off in a auto pitbull mode.  Gota give it to the Ukrainians, they adapt, improvise and over come....it's why we love em.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Skoop

Nice, it's an even cheaper weapon system than the himars.  Only complaint is part of the way harms work, it's best to launch them from 30 to 40k altitude at Mach 1 or better to increase the range and energy of the missile.  But in Ukraines case, something like this might work.  Sneak the ground launched harms up to the front line and fire away.  Before the airbase strike, I noticed several reports of Russian Sam sites being destroyed across the front.

GDS_Starfury

SirAndrewD

Stalingrad 2, Electric Boogaloo.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

at this point nothing will convince me that in the 80's they wouldn't have gotten the living shit kicked out them.
there's honestly a weird part of me that can't let go of this fight needing to happen.

GDS_Starfury

people complained that Red Storm Rising was optimistic.
turns out it was the very very very worst case scenario.  <:-)
Frisbee's motherfucker!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 13, 2022, 09:24:59 PM

I am guessing that Ukraine wins this one after a long bloody fight. The Russians will have to retreat to the other side of the Dnipro.

But then the Ukrainians are going to have the flip-side of the problem when they want to go beyond Kherson.

The Dnipro is a very substantial river. Here is a Google street view from 2017 looking across from the Kherson side. This location is about 1/4 mile from the Russian pontoon ferry called out on Star's map.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.673051,32.7626711,3a,75y,168.7h,80.65t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipO1p-zVStYY5XU7FjePhtyvEBPTaZS_bXvFEpUk!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO1p-zVStYY5XU7FjePhtyvEBPTaZS_bXvFEpUk%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya265.64667-ro0-fo100!7i6144!8i3072
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MengJiao

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 14, 2022, 11:32:02 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 13, 2022, 09:24:59 PM

I am guessing that Ukraine wins this one after a long bloody fight. The Russians will have to retreat to the other side of the Dnipro.

But then the Ukrainians are going to have the flip-side of the problem when they want to go beyond Kherson.

The Dnipro is a very substantial river. Here is a Google street view from 2017 looking across from the Kherson side. This location is about 1/4 mile from the Russian pontoon ferry called out on Star's map.

On the other hand, the Ukrainians are on the other side of the river up north, so while Russia pours stuff into the killing ground on the Kherson-Crimea front, the Ukrainians could attack elsewhere.
In fact the information battle (with Zelinsky telling his generals not to talk about the attack on Kherson) suggests a Ukrainian attack in the center might be coming sooner than an attack on Kherson.