Crusader Kings III - Coming 2020

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 19, 2019, 08:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Just to counter-balance the hype a little bit...

QuoteStill, the first point of contention is Paradox's resolution to include only two start dates: 867 AD and 1066 AD. The former is what The Old Gods players would be familiar with, and the latter, of course, is the Norman Invasion start date. Now, you could choose the "interesting" rulers as outlined via Crusader Kings III's selection screen, or you could opt to pick an existing leader from these scenarios.

What's unfortunate about this, due to the sheer lack of other dates, is that you'll likely never see some historical moments play out. Likewise, you can't set the dates back and forth per month or year. For instance, if you wanted to start with El Cid as a landed noble or with a resurgent Byzantine Empire outlined in the Alexiad, then you'd need to make the right moves to ensure those moments would come to fruition (if at all). Furthermore, you could forget the notion of Richard the Lionheart battling Saladin in the Holy Land, or any important figure from the east in later years (many personages from the east don't even show up as "interesting picks" for playthroughs).

I do have to say this is thoroughly disappointing.  Not a show stopper by any means, but my inner history nerd is crying at this paragraph.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

CJReich46

So I'm guessing forget trying to do Philip The Fair (1314 ) of which the events of his reign were the inspiration for Game Of Thrones and that was inspired by a series of books by Maurice Druon called The Accursed Kings or even Henry II  "Lion in Winter" (1187) or even Robert The Bruce.

Got it. 
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on August 31, 2020, 01:06:44 PM
Dammit all to Hell. I see Fanatical has it for 43.00. Anyone know of any lower price out there?

....Betty and Alf say "Wait 18-24 months and you will save 33 fracking dollars"
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

hellfish6

Quote from: al_infierno on August 31, 2020, 02:20:58 PM

I do have to say this is thoroughly disappointing.  Not a show stopper by any means, but my inner history nerd is crying at this paragraph.

Inevitably anything you want, and lots of stuff you don't, will become available later for one of the many DLCs.

CJReich46

It's out!

So first impressions, etc.

sigh. I might get it Friday or test drive it on Microsoft Game Pass.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Grim.Reaper

Sadly work in the way, so hopefully get some play tonight.  Small download, roughly 1.8 GBs.  I did just go in and tried to start a game, unless my memory is wrong, the speed at which the game starts seems vastly better then past Paradox games.  I realize it depends on your equipment, but impressed me since I recall in the past watching all those loading screens....seemed like just a few seconds on this.

jamus34

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 01, 2020, 11:56:26 AM
Sadly work in the way, so hopefully get some play tonight.  Small download, roughly 1.8 GBs.  I did just go in and tried to start a game, unless my memory is wrong, the speed at which the game starts seems vastly better then past Paradox games.  I realize it depends on your equipment, but impressed me since I recall in the past watching all those loading screens....seemed like just a few seconds on this.

Paradox games always had a huge amount of pre-caching going on. That said if you exit and reload the game later (without resetting your pc) it loads a ton quicker.

I am also interested on first impressions of this. Probably will wait until it hits the 60% or deeper discount but overall I love pdox games, warts and all.
Insert witty comment here.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jamus34 on September 01, 2020, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 01, 2020, 11:56:26 AM

Paradox games always had a huge amount of pre-caching going on. That said if you exit and reload the game later (without resetting your pc) it loads a ton quicker.

I am also interested on first impressions of this. Probably will wait until it hits the 60% or deeper discount but overall I love pdox games, warts and all.

Yep, but this was on the very first time and don't recall even with caching being this fast.

jamus34

I got you Grim. It's actually interesting, I see they are still running the Clauswitz engine.

I wonder if they reduced the inputs or if this a benefit of engine optimization.
Insert witty comment here.

Myrmidon

Anxious to hear the thoughts of everyone as well.  I'm sure this has been mentioned in previous pages of this thread; of which the beer drinking me is currently too lazy to read at this moment; but I really am curious what can be improved upon with a new release that would rival CK2 and all it's DLCs.  At this point, it's a masterpiece, which is great at what it does, and although I have had tons of fun with it, I've barely scratched the surface.  I dread going through the inevitable process of bug squashing and DLC releases to get to a game that I'm already able to play, unless something significantly new is brought to the table.

But maybe if I were a little less lazy, I would have read all the articles and reviews that potentially debunk my current frame of mind.  Maybe it's people like me that are the reason that good journalism is hard to find, that American politics are more polarized than ever. 

But then I can play a game of CK2, and realize that people have been as lame as me for hundreds of years, and be entertained by it. 

al_infierno

Quote from: Myrmidon on September 01, 2020, 04:00:55 PM
Anxious to hear the thoughts of everyone as well.  I'm sure this has been mentioned in previous pages of this thread; of which the beer drinking me is currently too lazy to read at this moment; but I really am curious what can be improved upon with a new release that would rival CK2 and all it's DLCs.  At this point, it's a masterpiece, which is great at what it does, and although I have had tons of fun with it, I've barely scratched the surface.  I dread going through the inevitable process of bug squashing and DLC releases to get to a game that I'm already able to play, unless something significantly new is brought to the table.

But maybe if I were a little less lazy, I would have read all the articles and reviews that potentially debunk my current frame of mind.  Maybe it's people like me that are the reason that good journalism is hard to find, that American politics are more polarized than ever. 

But then I can play a game of CK2, and realize that people have been as lame as me for hundreds of years, and be entertained by it.

I've got several hundred hours in CK2 and it's definitely up there for my all-time favorite strategy-RPGs.  However, I will say that a sequel has been long overdue.  A huge amount of major mechanics and features in the current version of CK2 were quite obviously stapled onto a system that wasn't designed with them in mind.  What excites me the most about Crusader Kings 3 is how they took all the great ideas from 8 years of development, and redesigned the base game system around those ideas.

A good example is the the Way of Life DLC, a solid system in CK2 that adds nice flavor without breaking game balance, but was obviously an afterthought to the core game system.  The Lifestyle mechanics in CK3 seem to be an upgrade over that in every way possible.  Same with Favors versus Hooks - I don't recall more than a half-dozen times I used favors to do anything more interesting than forcing my council members to vote with me on a particular issue before I abolished council authority.  The "Hooks" system in CK3 looks so much more flexible and useful.  If the game holds up overall, and they add more start dates in DLCs, I don't see myself ever going back to CK2.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

hellfish6

I fired it up for about five minutes. I immediately missed the ability to make my own character. Hopefully I'll have more time later this week.

Ian C

What are the new features apart from the UI and graphics?

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."