Main Menu

Fantasy General 2

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2019, 04:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Sir Slash

I am scared of this game. I remember well that serious ass-thumping the first one gave me back in the day.  :knuppel2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mbar

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 26, 2019, 06:00:53 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 26, 2019, 05:36:30 PM
I am interested in the artbook but not at that price.

Sample of artwork to make you want it more:)

https://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/Uploads/FG2/FG2%20sample.pdf

I think everyone should have a Hell-Hound Cannon.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Yeah, but with the price of Hell Hounds these days, who can afford it? Then the neighbors bitch about the noise. And God forbid you don't scoop the poop. NOTHING does 'steaming hot' like Hell Hound poop.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

The art and game mechanics are very enjoyable. However, I have my concerns. This is no doubt going to be a DLC cash grab. The game ships with a single story driven campaign letting the player control a single faction. There is no sandbox campaign where the player sets up conditions and builds an empire. Additionally, there are only two playable factions in skirmish mode. barbarians and the empire and these appear to just be battles. Finally, the unit lists for the factions are weird. For instance, the Empire, which is sort of like the ruling human power and is largely based on a Roman aesthetic, also contains undead units and creatures. These kinds of units don't belong in this army and should have been a separate faction altogether.

It just seems blatant that they are going to DLC the crap out of this game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Somehow, in the depths of what is left of my soul...I feared and kinda knew it would be like this. I think I have enough patience to wait for the Ultramega OK edition of this to be released, years from now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Yikes, thanks for the heads-up Jarhead.  This is definitely not going to be a day one purchase then.  I'll do what Gus is doing.

Gusington

Sad how quickly a Day 1 purchase can become a NOT Day 1 purchase.

Actually it's pretty awesome, not sad...just means there's a ton of other games to play 😎

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

It's more sad how eager I was to just buy it without doing the level of research Jarhead did...

Gusington

I'm trying to stay positive here.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 28, 2019, 06:16:56 AM
The art and game mechanics are very enjoyable. However, I have my concerns. This is no doubt going to be a DLC cash grab. The game ships with a single story driven campaign letting the player control a single faction. There is no sandbox campaign where the player sets up conditions and builds an empire. Additionally, there are only two playable factions in skirmish mode. barbarians and the empire and these appear to just be battles. Finally, the unit lists for the factions are weird. For instance, the Empire, which is sort of like the ruling human power and is largely based on a Roman aesthetic, also contains undead units and creatures. These kinds of units don't belong in this army and should have been a separate faction altogether.

It just seems blatant that they are going to DLC the crap out of this game.

I'm out.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

To be fair, the original FantGen featured only one single-player campaign with an evil partly undead Empire having conquered most of the world except for one corner of not-Australia, from which the local aborigines (who might thus be regarded as "barbarians") rose up to retake the world. And there were only two factions, with a significant amount of "what why" between their unit lists. Also no sandbox campaign at all, no more than in Panzer General or its other related products, at the time and down to today.

And people loved that game enough that Matrixlitherine bought the rights to make a sequel-remake-whatever.

If you want more than one faction and more than one single-player campaign with unit lists that make a lot more internal coherent sense, in colorful artistic 3D turn based tactical battles, based directly on Fantasy General but with lots of upgrades (just not the story-setting of FantGen per se) -- that series already exists (and did have three expansions to its second game). And you can buy it cheap, especially on sale when it gets super-discounted.

That's Fantasy Wars / Elven Legacy:smitten: See my persistent sig for "PanzOrc Corpz Generals" for a very extended sample of the gameplay (about halfway through both of the first main campaigns, which parallel each other. There are nine single player campaigns in the full set.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!