Age of Steam game

Started by rstites25, March 26, 2017, 12:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodall

I'm 1 up on track vs. Rex, by my count.

So it seems in 2 of the 3 cases, I win - and in the other case, Rex wins. But really, I think we all win just by being friends.  :dreamer:

rstites25

Scores 3 x (Income - Shares) + RR Sections

Before l'amour's move:

Rex:  3 x (31 - 10) + 21 = 84
Woodall:  3 x (29 - 8) +  22 =85
Mike:  3 x (29 - 10) + 22 = 79

So lamour's choice is give me 1 (Playing Kingmaker for me), giving Woodall 1 (keeping the status quo for 1st place), or giving nothing to us (keeping the status quo for first place).

Or I guess he could move the Purple cube from Black-5 to "F" for +2 to Mike and +2 for Himself, which, I think would play Kingmaker to Mike.

2 out of the 4 options are the status quo before his turn, so I'd assume that he'd do one of those, which gives the game to Woodall.

Woodall

I didn't even think to check Mike's track. (or that he'd get two from a l'amour move)

29-sunglasses face - I like it

rstites25

Quote from: Woodall on June 10, 2017, 12:00:01 PM
I didn't even think to check Mike's track. (or that he'd get two from a l'amour move)

29-sunglasses face - I like it

That's that new math.

l'amour

Id deliver for 1 or at least 3. Delivering for two puts me back where I was at the beginnib of the turn. I don't mind who wins, but best for me is to probably go 1 shy of the -4 space.

egg_salad

Wow, closer than I thought.  Good game, folks.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

rstites25

I vote for playing this again--same map. I'd like to see how things play out now that we all have a game under our belt.

egg_salad

I would love another AoS game, but I'd prefer a different map.  Not that I dislike this map, but I likes ma variety.

Woodall

Yeah, lets change it up a bit

rstites25

Here are the expansion I have that are included in the VASSAL module.

Ireland:

Brown/Yellow hexes start with a number of goods equal to the white cubes shown on the hex. They never grow/add more cubes.

It costs $6 to build a sea route, the claiming player "owns" just like a RR link. Scotland/England are dual color:  cubes of either color can be delivered there.

No "urbanization" and in it's place "de-urbanization," which allows you to remove a cube from the map.

Locomotive does not directly improve your locomotive; instead, you're allowed to use both turns in the "move goods" segment to improve your locomotive.

France:

Setup:  Each City gets 2 goods at start except Paris (8), Lyon (3), and Nice (1).

Terrain:  Hill hexes are "difficult" terrain and cost $2 to build in. A Hill hex with a small black hexagon is "very difficult" and costs $4 to build in. (It looks like on the VASSAL map, it's the terrain that has a round, mountain looking terrain).

Engineer:  You can only build/replace track in difficult terrain if you select Engineer.

Production:  Can either do the normal production or declare a city and randomly draw ONE goods cube and place it directly on the declared city.

Urbanization: If you choose urbanization, you can only place/replace TWO sections of track. During the first turn (only), two players can select Urbanization.

Paris:  Is a four-color city:  Blue, Rec, Yellow and Purple. It accepts goods of any of those colors AND blocks cubes of those colors from moving through it.

Goods Growth:  Paris is cities 1-6 on the Goods display.

Pay Expenses:  If because of expenses your income is reduced below zero, it simply goes to zero instead of forcing you to be bankrupt.

China:

Russia produces goods, but you can't ship there.

Start the game with $20 and 2 shares ($10 extra from your "personal fortune)

RRs must start in Hanoi, Hong Kong, Shangai, Tsin Tao, Wei Hai Wei, or Port Arthur.

When a RR connects to a city an extra amount of $ = to the number printed on the city must be paid to the bank (e.g., Peking costs an extra $6.) It costs nothing to build from a city that you're already connected to.

Each RR must be contiguous to a coastal city.

You can start track from a different coastal city (from that listed above), but in such a case, if it doesn't connect to your existing track, you have to pay the additional build cost.

Nothing extra to connect to a New City

Engineer:  Have option of normal 4-hex build OR applying "Diplomatic Pressure," which allows the player to connect to one city for half the normal cost (rounded up).

Urbanization:  Purple New City is removed, so Peking ends up being the only Purple city possible. (Any purple cubes placed on Peking or its place on the Goods Display during setup is removed and replaced)

Goods Growth:  Russia always gets 1 randomly drawn cube

We can play some other map available on VASSAL, if you can find the rules online for it (which may be somewhat of a chore given it's Winsome.)

rstites25

l'amour

egg_salad

They all look interesting to me.

Woodall

rstites25

It seems like Ireland is the consensus. I'll start a new thread momentarily.