Victory at Sea Ironclad

Started by MC, November 16, 2020, 01:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

ditto.  Thanks for the heads up!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

FarAway Sooner

That does look interesting.

It'll be curious to see how they handle the asymmetrical nature of the naval conflict in the Civil War.  It seemed that the South mostly engaged in smuggling into their southern parts and convoy raiding in Atlantic waters, while the North mostly conducted blockades and a fair number of riverboat-vs-shore-battery operations on the rivers of the western theater. 

The advent of Ironclads certainly made for some high drama, as one usually sees when a radical emerging technology comes face-to-face with an older, established technology.  It's my understanding that, while they were fearsome combatants, the ironclads of that age were so expensive to build, and so relatively unseaworthy in the open ocean, that their application was largely tactical in nature.

That could make for some very intriguing gaming mechanisms, but I'll be curious to see how they set it up and keep the campaign game engaging from both sides.  The easiest way might be to simulate more parity on the open seas than was ever the case in the actual event?

I also wonder how they'll handle ironclad engagements.  As near as I can tell, the basic goal when fighting an ironclad was to hammer it until all the rivets that held their armor plates in place popped out.  That, or until the loud noises and vibrations physically overwhelmed the soft, fleshy crewmen working inside, underneath all those iron plates.

I LOVE that somebody is taking on this era.  I'll be curious to see how the implementation goes.

Sir Slash

On my wish list too.  :dreamer:  I hope it's got Cottonclads. I always wanted to shoot the hell out of one and  see it snow.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 16, 2020, 07:48:43 PM
On my wish list too.  :dreamer:  I hope it's got Cottonclads. I always wanted to shoot the hell out of one and  see it snow.

Or torch up!  >:D

And ditto FaS's remarks about the asymmetric application of ACW naval power.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

Found this longish video of the devs playing.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Rayfer

Nice find S58....much better than the short Steam trailer.

FarAway Sooner

One way or another, if you're on a sailing ship, sooner or later, you'll end up baling...

steve58

Sir Slash

I think I'll, 'bail' on that one Steve.  :DD  Before somebody makes a joke about, 'Screw Frigates'.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

This should be quite an interesting game. I had a chat a couple of weeks ago with James Carroll the director of the Evil Twin Artworks studio about stuff and he mentioned it, but gave me the impression that it was in early development. I think he has some interesting plans for the game.

I wonder if he will pitch in on the thread? I'll ask.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jameseviltwin

I was going to dip in and start a thread but looks like someone has beaten me to it! It does have Cottonclads!

jameseviltwin

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 16, 2020, 03:54:08 PM
That does look interesting.

It'll be curious to see how they handle the asymmetrical nature of the naval conflict in the Civil War.  It seemed that the South mostly engaged in smuggling into their southern parts and convoy raiding in Atlantic waters, while the North mostly conducted blockades and a fair number of riverboat-vs-shore-battery operations on the rivers of the western theater. 

The advent of Ironclads certainly made for some high drama, as one usually sees when a radical emerging technology comes face-to-face with an older, established technology.  It's my understanding that, while they were fearsome combatants, the ironclads of that age were so expensive to build, and so relatively unseaworthy in the open ocean, that their application was largely tactical in nature.

That could make for some very intriguing gaming mechanisms, but I'll be curious to see how they set it up and keep the campaign game engaging from both sides.  The easiest way might be to simulate more parity on the open seas than was ever the case in the actual event?

I also wonder how they'll handle ironclad engagements.  As near as I can tell, the basic goal when fighting an ironclad was to hammer it until all the rivets that held their armor plates in place popped out.  That, or until the loud noises and vibrations physically overwhelmed the soft, fleshy crewmen working inside, underneath all those iron plates.

I LOVE that somebody is taking on this era.  I'll be curious to see how the implementation goes.
yes the campaign is asymmetric, The North have the Anaconda plan, trying to strangle the South, but when the Blockade runners hit the ocean it can be difficult to chase them. You need to get a lot of patrols out. We have tried to balance the game through resource management, which was a lot simpler in Victory At Sea Pacific. In this game you can change the focus of each ship built, filling it with cargo and start to deliver it will see resource bonuses that the enemy can disrupt, or you can go directly to Europe and trade your cotton and tobacco. The regions all have specific resources available to them so you can take ports and start to take advantage of said resources. Ironclads are a game changer, they are pretty lethal when they start to appear!

Sir Slash

That sounds N-I-C-E. I approve this message.  O0