We have a release date! Baldur's Gate III

Started by CJReich46, September 11, 2020, 01:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I am about 25 hours into Divinity: Original Sin 2 and I enjoy it. That said, there is so much content and each battle can be complex, so sometimes I find it a little draining...can't exactly put my finger on why. Maybe I'm just getting older.

But if I am understanding the previews correctly, BGIII will have some structural similarities to the Divinity games but go even further in complexity. It will still by isometric in its main view and with combat, but it looks to have a ton more highly-polished cut scenes, for example.

I hope I am still young enough to handle it!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Funny you mention this. I finally started D2 as well now that I am stuck at home and can use a relaxingly paced game, but I have the same first impression.
It also seems all enemies have ready access to superpowers, which strikes me as odd.

While the game looks absolutely stunning, I also find the screen very cluttered at most times and with the sandbox elements to the story, where more than one way might provide a solution, I find the game doesn't do a good job to giving you classic RPG pointers on where to look.

For example (spoiler, which I think, with 25hrs you're well past), [spoiler]I killed the lady Elf in the cavern (Prison Fort) by accident, but the quest flag icon remains pointing at her. This I find confusing. It was not until much later that I freed the caged Elf in the kitchen held by Griff that I found a new piece of info linked to the previously killed lady Elf.

It takes getting used to, I guess. I truely love the openness of the world and its interactions with people, but it also causes some immersion breaking effects.
I completely purged the kitchen with fire, for example, killing Griff and his compadres, but nobody else in the Fort seems to take notice.
I am pretty sure a blaze the size I produced there would panic people and rally the Magisters to lock us up or hang us on the spot. :) [/spoiler]

Voice acting is very well done by the way. The productions values of the game just radiate professionalism and style.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Sir Slash

Pillars of Eternity 1 was great but then in No. 2 they upped the combat complexity and kind of lost me. Most of the time, I just let the AI NPC's do their own thing and just watch.  :'(   Hope this doesn't happen in this one. Chopping Goblin heads-off shouldn't be complicated.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Heh I agree - when I really feel like brainless hackin' and slashin' I reach for Diablo III.

Yskonyn I agree too on the main screen clutter and party inventory could also be a little smoother. Those are minor niggles and now that I've thought about it, it's the writing, story and voice acting that keep me coming back.

And even at 25 hours into Divinity 2, I still have not made it into Driftwood (main city) - my party is just on the outskirts. I really want to see what the big city is like.

That said, I also agree with you on some enemies being overpowered. I have one party member dead in the basement of a cottage outside of Driftwood that I have to wait to rescue because she is surrounded by giant monsters that are 2-3 levels above yo party members.

So yes a little more guidance would be good in Divinity 2 - I know some players would consider it less hardcore that way, though. For reference, I am playing at the 'Exploration' level.

Oh and I just picked up Dragon's Dogma - hoping that offers a little more brainless fun  8)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

I didn't even look at the requirements, seems like this will require 150GB of available space.....another one of those big games.  Hoping that is not the download size, otherwise that will take me forever.....

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LoganismyHERO

CJReich46

I might need to up my ram to 16GB.

But other than that. Gravy.

150GB? That's a big meatball right there though.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Grim.Reaper

saw additional info suggesting initial load is 80gb, rest reserved for later.

LoganismyHERO

So, I'm the first to admit, I'm slow....

BG3 is coming out today....early access and only the 1st chapter?

They want us to play test/bug squash? Is that my understanding?

Cool, but I can wait for the full release....unless someone smarter than me can tell me what the advantage is for buying into this early access shenanigans.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: LoganismyHERO on October 06, 2020, 11:49:44 AM
So, I'm the first to admit, I'm slow....

BG3 is coming out today....early access and only the 1st chapter?

They want us to play test/bug squash? Is that my understanding?

Cool, but I can wait for the full release....unless someone smarter than me can tell me what the advantage is for buying into this early access shenanigans.

If your going to buy anyways, then gives you a sneak peek if you like now (worst case just sits there)....but if that doesn't interest you, then absolutely should hold off since there doesn't appear to be any price discounts or bonus for doing it.

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

LoganismyHERO

Quote from: jamus34 on October 06, 2020, 12:34:59 PM
If any one is interested Ars threw up a first look article...and it's not flattering in the least to the game.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-mediocre-rpg-amazing-rendering-engine/

While it's just one person's opinion, this is enough for me to hold off.

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Pete Dero

Quote from: LoganismyHERO on October 06, 2020, 12:45:46 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on October 06, 2020, 12:34:59 PM
If any one is interested Ars threw up a first look article...and it's not flattering in the least to the game.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-mediocre-rpg-amazing-rendering-engine/

While it's just one person's opinion, this is enough for me to hold off.

These are far more positive (and remember : very early access !)

https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-review

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-review/

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-gameplay-release-date-3985081

Baldur's Gate 3 early verdict?

Baldur's Gate 3 is still very much a work in progress. But the early access build oozes potential, featuring great character creation dynamics, amazingly varied combat mechanics and a rich and vibrant premise that looks set to do the epic RPG franchise justice.

But, it is not a full game yet. As a result, if you just want to play for its story you will be better off waiting and hitting it fresh when the final product finally appears sometime next year. The only players that will really benefit from it in its current state are hardcore fans that want to be part of the game's development by offering Larian direct feedback as it's made.