Star Trek Ship Minis

Started by Nefaro, September 17, 2014, 04:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Almost finished with my set of Klingon ships for Star Trek Fleet Captains

A close-up:

Thread here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=10893

I still have some touching up to do on these Klingons, and the Negh'var battleship left to paint.  Then on to the Federation and Romulans eventually.  Will post pics as I get the batches done.  These are the first minis I've ever painted and I'm glad the Birds Of Prey came out fairly well.  I spent a fair amount of time on them (and going cross-eyed).

A pic of how the vanillas look is in the thread above if you're curious how they look out of the box.

bbmike

I say this as a very picky Star Trek fan: Those look freakin awesome!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on September 17, 2014, 04:23:52 PM

Thanks. 

I've been in a bit of a gaming funk lately, so figured I'd start getting some practice at painting the hordes of gaming minis I have.  Something different to do.

LongBlade

+1

V nice.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: LongBlade on September 17, 2014, 08:00:51 PM

+1

V nice.

+2

As a card-carrying trekker I just subscribed to the Star Trek ship collection

http://startrek-starships.com/usa/index.asp

I probably won't get them all...............  :uglystupid2:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

LongBlade

Quote from: DoctorQuest on September 17, 2014, 08:06:43 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 17, 2014, 08:00:51 PM

+1

V nice.

+2

As a card-carrying trekker I just subscribed to the Star Trek ship collection

http://startrek-starships.com/usa/index.asp

I probably won't get them all...............  :uglystupid2:

Nice find, but I already have spent my share of cash on minis - including Star Trek.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=2613.msg57136#msg57136

I'm afraid that'll have to be a no go for me.

mirth

I used to own a ton of these - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Micro_Machines#Micro_Machines

I've long regretted getting rid of them. They were pretty much perfect for gaming.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

Quote from: mirth on September 17, 2014, 10:29:52 PM
I used to own a ton of these - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Micro_Machines#Micro_Machines

I've long regretted getting rid of them. They were pretty much perfect for gaming.

I still have a ton of these including a bunch from the "pewter" collection which are pretty cool. I probably ended up with 4 or 5 Enterprise-Ds. O0

Sure. I "game" with them. PEW...PEW...PEW...take THAT you Klingon/Ferengi/Cardassian scum! 

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on September 17, 2014, 10:29:52 PM

Oh, hell yeah. Those are cool.

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on September 17, 2014, 09:47:29 PM

Nice find, but I already have spent my share of cash on minis - including Star Trek.

I also picked up some Federation Commander stuff recently.  Both Klingon and Romulan Border along with the Klingon Attack expansion.  Will eventually bust that out.

I briefly considered picking up the pewter minis for FC, but the price of purchasing all that I would need, to cover the classes I currently have with those sets, would be better spent elsewhere.  Seriously.. it'd probably be over $200.  That's a lot of extra game purchasing power.  I'll either use the counters or just "cross the streams" and use some of the older ships in my Fleet Captains sets once I get them painted.  Saving money and getting an extra game system at the same time.  I wouldn't mind using the later models for FC since the ship cards aren't artistically precise anyway.  >:D 

Still might be a squeeze to fit the clix bases into the large hex side of the maps but I also have a huge 1.5" hex mat if need (originally purchased for use with Check Your Six: Jet Age of which I need to paint many minis too - argh!).

I do miss the SFC computer games too.  :(  I wonder how well they run on Win7 these days.

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on September 18, 2014, 12:26:00 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 17, 2014, 09:47:29 PM

I also picked up some Federation Commander stuff recently.  Both Klingon and Romulan Border along with the Klingon Attack expansion.  Will eventually bust that out.

I briefly considered picking up the pewter minis for FC, but the price of purchasing all that I would need, to cover the classes I currently have with those sets, would be better spent elsewhere.  Seriously.. it'd probably be over $200.  That's a lot of extra game purchasing power.  I'll either use the counters or just "cross the streams" and use some of the older ships in my Fleet Captains sets once I get them painted.  Saving money and getting an extra game system at the same time.  I wouldn't mind using the later models for FC since the ship cards aren't artistically precise anyway.  >:D 

Still might be a squeeze to fit the clix bases into the large hex side of the maps but I also have a huge 1.5" hex mat if need (originally purchased for use with Check Your Six: Jet Age of which I need to paint many minis too - argh!).

I do miss the SFC computer games too.  :(  I wonder how well they run on Win7 these days.

Yeah, I dropped a decent amount of cash on Federation and Romulan  minis - got some more as gifts, too. With minis you just have to bite the bullet. They're expensive. But they add a dimension to gaming that can't be replicated by cardboard. Just be careful - once you start buying minis, it's difficult to stop.  My rule of thumb is to ask myself if I'd be happy with the mini unused just sitting on a shelf. If the answer is yes - and with Star Trek that's a given - then I'll spend the cash knowing even if it isn't used much, I still will appreciate it in it's own right.

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on September 18, 2014, 06:56:24 AM

Yeah, I dropped a decent amount of cash on Federation and Romulan  minis - got some more as gifts, too. With minis you just have to bite the bullet. They're expensive. But they add a dimension to gaming that can't be replicated by cardboard. Just be careful - once you start buying minis, it's difficult to stop.  My rule of thumb is to ask myself if I'd be happy with the mini unused just sitting on a shelf. If the answer is yes - and with Star Trek that's a given - then I'll spend the cash knowing even if it isn't used much, I still will appreciate it in it's own right.
[/quote]

You got the pewter FC minis, right?  Did the parts fit together well for easy gluing? 

Scuttlebutt says the pewter FC minis are a much better set than the older plastic ones they had.  But after having to trim and glue plastic minis together in other games, I'm a bit wary of doing it with metal ones unless they lock in fairly well.

mirth

I'll try to find my CDs and see if I can get one of them running this weekend. I loved those games too.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on September 18, 2014, 10:32:41 AM
You got the pewter FC minis, right?  Did the parts fit together well for easy gluing? 

Scuttlebutt says the pewter FC minis are a much better set than the older plastic ones they had.  But after having to trim and glue plastic minis together in other games, I'm a bit wary of doing it with metal ones unless they lock in fairly well.

They fit fine. Many were a single piece. The heavy cruisers and such did need to be watched while the engine nacelles dried. I think I had a problem with one dreadnought's top nacelle, which fit just a bit cockeyed. Other than that I didn't have any issues. I did end up deepening the holes for the stands that hold them up - the canted piece that allows you to change the pitch ended up not holding the heavy pewter so well, so I just took it off and used the straight piece to hold them up.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: mirth on September 18, 2014, 10:35:54 AM

I'll try to find my CDs and see if I can get one of them running this weekend. I loved those games too.

I have had good luck running all of them under Win 7.