Discount offer from Matrix/Slitherine - what's good?

Started by smithcorp, September 19, 2019, 04:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithcorp

I got a 6-year anniversary discount voucher from Matrix and i want to spend it wisely, and am looking for suggestions. I have and enjoy Flashpoint Campaigns and Scourge of War, I played Panzer Corps and some Pacific General years ago, enjoyed demos for Shrapnel's Falklands 82, but don't play many hex style wargames at the moment. However, was I to use this Matrix/Slitherine discount to get a hex-style game that's accessible and not too complex (ie without complicated supply rules and the like), what would you recommend please?

JasonPratt

Unity of Command features a nice PGish simulation of the Eastern Front (the whole thing if Black Turn and Red Turn are included for campaigns), based on simple logistic control features. Simpler than Panzer General and its successors (including Panzer Corps from Matrixlitherine), it does take the puzzle elements to a somewhat extreme degree: you have six turns to take all these areas in the enemy backfield, have fun!  ::) (Relatedly, you should play with random weather off, because it can completely hose all chances of picking up any victory, much like real life. ;) ) However, it portrays the Big Front situation in the Great Patriotic War much better than any other PG-ish game.

I'm blanking on other relatively easy hex-games from MatSlith. Um....... Warhammer40K Armageddon (very much a Panzer-Generalish game)? Warhammer40K Gladius (more of a Civ-ish game)?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

Strategic Command: War in Europe or Strategic Command: World at War fits what you stated you were looking for.

-budd-

If you enjoy Flashpoint Campaigns, it's not hex based but take a look at Armored Brigade.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: -budd- on September 19, 2019, 09:51:24 PM
If you enjoy Flashpoint Campaigns, it's not hex based but take a look at Armored Brigade.

+1
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Con

Quote from: DoctorQuest on September 19, 2019, 10:20:47 PM
Quote from: -budd- on September 19, 2019, 09:51:24 PM

+1
+2

I have really been getting into armored brigade very useful tools and a lite version of Command Ops in a modern setting

Philippe

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa.

It will change the way you think about wargames.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

FarAway Sooner

Unity of Command is particularly fun because you don't have to win a decisive victory in every battle to simulate what a real campaign might look like.  It definitely is a "puzzle like" game in the sense that Panzer General first was, but the campaigns are very satisfying to play even when you don't win it all.

smithcorp

Thanks all for these excellent suggestions. My credit card is reeling, but I picked up Unity of Command, Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa (nervous about this one), Armored Brigade and Strategic Command WWII: World at War. 21% discount - nice.