Best Solitaire Wargame!

Started by DennisS, September 20, 2012, 08:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

OK folks, fess up on what your favorite solitaire wargames are!

Not computer games, that's too easy. Boardgames, old school, chits, and dice falling off the table to be chased by the cat.

I'll start:

1) B-17, Queen of the Skies
2) Tokyo Express
3) Carriers!
4) Mosby's Raiders
5) Ambush! (and variants)

Staggerwing

Don't forget 'Patton's Best'! And I with I had 1st hand knowledge of 'Raid on St Nazaire's gameplay to chime in with but the prices have been a little too steep for me to take the plunge. Anyone else have that game?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Rekim

-VG Carrier
-Silent War
-Hornet Leader
-Fields of Fire
-Solitaire ASL

I enjoy Silent War more now that I've started to use a spreadsheet to track the misadventures of individual subs in my fleets. Fields of Fire can be an exciting play if you can get past the issues with the rules (disclaimer: haven't tried 2nd edition of the rulebook yet). The first edition 'Solitaire' module for ASL that I picked up on eBay is high on my todo list. My expectations are high for that one. In the mean time, VG Carrier is the top dog of my solitaire game collection.

jomni

Good titles mentioned here.

I'd like to add.
Fields of Fire (GMT) if you can cope with the book keeping.
And also Ranger (Omega games).

MikeGER

...maybe you like to check out the new Thunderbolt-Apache Leader also

here its discussed at Grogs
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=2272.0

Double Deuce

Quote from: jomni on September 21, 2012, 12:06:10 AM
Good titles mentioned here.

I'd like to add.
Fields of Fire (GMT) if you can cope with the book keeping.
And also Ranger (Omega games).

Glad to see these 2 mentioned, they are both on my Christmas list. There are many good ones out there and I have just found a solitaire ruleset for Wooden Ships and Iron Men but as for my personal best nomination, I would have to go with SASL (Solitaire Advanced Squad Leader).

bayonetbrant

VPG's States of Siege games are pretty spiffy, and are designed as solitaire games.

We reviewed Empires in America a few months back.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

I have a brand new copy of SASL2 that I've barely looked at. I'd love to finally grok those rules and play the thing.   

Would also love to get Carrier back on the table.  It's been years since I last played it. 

I'm also looking forward to the release of "The Hunters: German
U-Boats at War, 1939-43" coming out fairly soon from GMT Games. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

Quote from: GJK on September 21, 2012, 11:50:30 AM
I have a brand new copy of SASL2 that I've barely looked at. I'd love to finally grok those rules and play the thing.   

I hear that the SASL rules are tough to digest...but well worth the effort. I plan to take to make learning SASL a top priority this winter. That project will have to contend with the new copy of Field Commander: Napoleon I've had sitting on a shelf since the spring. FC:N is another solitaire game with some exceptionally good buzz about it.

GJK

I could easily make a web based app that could do all of the dice rolls, chart referencing and log/record campaign missions once I do finally learn the SASL rules.  Yup, think I need to prioritize my new game learning a bit as well. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Double post to pad my post count, ignore.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Toonces

Carrier is a pretty awesome game.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Capn Darwin

LnL's space Infantry is a good one.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

DV8

I love the idea of being able to play one of my board games solo but since I have never done so I have a hard time understanding how it can be entertaining.  It seems like your omnipotence would undermine the game's flavor. 

What am I missing here?
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

Jack Nastyface

I posted an extensive answer to "why solo game a two-player game" over at Brant' site sometime ago.  Check out the "game talk" comments at grognews.blogspot.com.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.